Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:13 AM

3 posts, read 8,649 times

Advertisements

Due to economic situations in California, I had to accept employment in RICHLAND, this week I am packing and placing everything in storage. Then at the end of the month I will move my property up to the Broadmor Apartments. I am looking for a large apartment complex with high security, as I am a single woman, and have 2 chihuahua's. My current rental is 2000 sq ft, and is a 3 dbrm 2 bath home that i take better care of than the owner. I am a neat freak. But I will not rent a home as I have never lived in the snow, and now I find myself worrying about chains on my sports car, and rock salt on my custom paint job. Do you believe it?
I am excited but scared to death. If anyone knows a luxury apartment complex with an apartment on the top floor with large square footage you would be a blessing to me. My cousins, and aunties have me worried, about someone climbing in my apartment window, and telling me to not dress to pretty, and put a bag over my head so any men interested would get scared off. My reply was i'll never find love that way if I was looking, which I am not, only waiting for my son's to come home and of course their wives are anxoius ot begin family raising, but they married boys that want a career in the armed forces, one is Air Force the other Marines.
I must say I am very nervous, as I will not know a sole, and I have no living siblings or parents as my brother recently passed away, and I am recently divorced.
CONCERNS:
Richland form what I am reading sounds boaring and I am worried, there will not be anything to do.
My weeks here in the Bay Area of California, involve going to the shows in San Francisco, live broadway, and to the movies, and trips to Napa, and Marine World with friends, Great Amercia Season ticket holder, and numorous trips to the Coliseum to see concerts. My friends and I hang out at TGIF, and other nice spot and Hotels for happy hour, and appetizers, we are avid Karaoke singers and are always finding somewhere's to go to from Monterey to San Francisco.
I love the fact there are many shopping malls and outlets to visit here in the Bay Area. My children are grown and my sons are serving in IRAQ. So I am praying I have not accepted a job and made a decision I will regret. But I cannot live on unemplyment anymore in California, my savings are exhausted. I will be earning 89,000.00, and hope that will provide a comfortable life for me. Please advise how far it is to do anything, and what there is to do for those of us not blessed to have a companion, and is the community mostly familes. Which I think is fantastic, however as I said that is not my position and I am not looking right now for any relationship as my job will be demanding with the government

Last edited by Kai4ever; 06-29-2009 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add more content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 11:45 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,393,255 times
Ma'am, please don't take offense, but you should consider medication for this level of anxiety, or perhaps just beer. Richland is one of the safest places of its size that you will ever see. I don't think anyone has security that high here for the same reason that roofs in Yuma, Arizona are not designed to shed snow efficiently. This level of fear comes off batso paranoid, like someone afraid to go to San Francisco for fear that it will cause them to become gay.

I mean, seriously. Calm down, get hold of (and perhaps over) yourself. A bag over your head? Don't dress too pretty? What, you think the snaggletoothed local hillbillies will drop their meth cookery to assault and abuse a real live purtyfied city gal? I'm not even from the Tri-Cities originally and I'm affronted by this. Since I am the Tri-Cities' harshest halfway fair critic, you can imagine how this will go over with its booster club. This is not a personal attack, just pointing out to you how this comes across.

You will, however, have to contend with the feared LDS Missionaries of Doom that will visit your apartment, so at least that much fear is justified. The sunlight off their gleaming white dress shirts could easily blind you.

It's true that the Tri-Cities offer less ways to amuse oneself than the Bay Area. Unsurprising moving from an urban area of some ten million or so to one with less than 200,000. This is generally a lousy area for singles, but a good place for families. You're going to be bored stupid unless you create ways to enjoy yourself, which it does not sound as though has been necessary for you in the past. Fortunately, you're making a large enough pile of money that unlike many of the locals who are scraping by on retail/education wages, you can afford to go to Seattle or Portland on weekends to whoop it up.

In the end, you'll find yourself moving as soon as you can find someplace more urban with more prepackaged entertainment and singles options. I like it here, but I hate big cities and don't care about all their prepackaged entertainment--when I lived there, I never did any of it. You could not get me to do karaoke at pistol point. I like the low crime, general peace and quiet, and easygoing friendliness of the Tri-Cities.

It also gives me a great place to put my old Camaro up on its cement blocks, pasture my goats where they can use the goatie door to come in the trailer when it's cold, conceal the still, and sit on the front porch glaring at the world while I spit my Cope and keep an eye out for sports cars with custom paint jobs to jack. I do all right for myself, between that racket and the dole, and when money gets tight I just sell another tooth. Still got 8 left! When I run out I'll just start pulling them from my wife Velma. She won't mind. Much.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
Snow? I don't think the Tri-Cities get too much snow (maybe 10 inches annually), heck it's not like you are moving to Buffalo or something. The Tri-Cities are in a semi-desert climate.

The fear expressed in this post is extremely unwarranted. You probably haven't ventured out of your bubble in a very long time.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 8,649 times
LMAO I needed that reply J K K omg I laughed myself into a belly ache. Point well taken and I doing much better now. Ok, now that is worked its magic. What is happening in Richland.

Last edited by Kai4ever; 06-29-2009 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Wrong person acknowledged

Old 06-29-2009, 07:01 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,393,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai4ever View Post
LMAO I needed that reply J K K omg I laughed myself into a belly ache. Point well taken and I doing much better now. Ok, now that is worked its magic. What is happening in Richland.
I've never lived in Richland, but it has a certain degree of civic spirit, and activities are not rare at all. Ye Olde Merrie Renaissance Faire was ye laste weekende, ande ye citizense usuallye have a goode tyme at those. Howard Amon Park has a lot of such things in summer. The Uptown (a fairly well preserved strip mall in the middle of Richland) has classic car events. Coming up sometime soon is Boat Race weekend in Kennewick. If you like baseball there's a minor league team in Pasco. I don't have an offhand reference to all that there is to do in Richland, but from spring to fall there's often something happening somewhere in the Dry Cities, especially if you look around. There's a local entertainment newspaper, imaginatively titled The Entertainer, that would have pretty comprehensive listings. It is also common for wineries (we have a lot of those) to host musical events. There was a Scottish Fest recently in Prosser and there's an annual Irish fest, I think at the TRAC. There's a Scandinavian fest at some point at the fairgrounds, and the bi-county fair is coming up. Great place to view chickens, if one isn't familiar with those. Seriously, though, some of the D-list music acts at the fair will resonate with your youth. For other concerts, there's an amphitheatre up at George, near Vantage.

I'm assuming there's no point in pointing out the monster truck events at the TRAC, or the gun show, etc. (They don't interest me either.) But there is that kind of stuff too.

If you hunt around, and be willing to try the things that the area does have to do, you may enjoy yourself. I'm glad you at least have decided to feel safe, because you are an order of magnitude safer even in the worst parts of east Kennewick than just about anywhere in an area the size of the Bay Area.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 PM

216 posts, read 1,002,942 times
Well if you're worried about a mall there is Columbia Center. Undoubtedly it won't come close to what you can find in the Bay Area, but it's pretty good for this area. Spokane about 2 hrs. away can offer more in terms of shopping.

You mentioned trips to Napa Valley. Southeastern Washington actually has a booming wine industry of that's what you meant. About 150 are within an hour's drive. In the Tri-Cities itself there is the Tagaris Winery near West Richland, which includes a nice restraunt.

Your wages will be enough to have you living rather comfortably. The area has a low cost of living, even before the economy went bad.

Oh and rock salt is not used to melt ice here. It's either a spray or sand.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
89K around here is actually pretty good money. Avoid over-paying for real estate, it wastes your money and drives up the neighbors taxes, which tends to make you unwelcome.

That and don't refer to the local Interstate as "The 82". It's "I-82" or just "the freeway".

Old 07-01-2009, 11:44 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,411,564 times
TriCities is a nice community with 4 cities separated only by a road or two...Since the establishment of Tricities, the much smaller town of West Richland wanted to have their own city gov't, hence West Richland is the 4th town in the Columbia Basin. We presently live in Spokane for various reasons, but also own a home in Richland and it's nice to travel the 2 hours down state highway 395 to Tricities from time to time... We enjoy the Tricities for their great wineries over 100 in the surrounding areas of the basin, as others mentioned the Columbia Center Mall in Kennewick is not what you may see in the Bay area but it seems to be adequate with most major department stores, and ofcourse there is always the Walmart in a few locations, and other national chain stores within a few minute drive. There are various activities in the city of Richland throughout the year that may interest you, the Richland chamber of commerce I provided for you below to help you prepare for your relocation and upon settling in to Richland..I'm an Army vet, and have 2 kids in the military, so can relate to your situation with your family... If you want snow it's more so in the Spokane area, Tricities does get snow, but normally nothing that would close the city down, as happened in Spokane this past winter, we had 7 feet, which was crazy...

Good Luck on your move...

City of Richland- Home Page

Old 07-02-2009, 01:18 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
TriCities is a nice community with 4 cities separated only by a road or two...Since the establishment of Tricities, the much smaller town of West Richland wanted to have their own city gov't, hence West Richland is the 4th town in the Columbia Basin. We presently live in Spokane for various reasons, but also own a home in Richland and it's nice to travel the 2 hours down state highway 395 to Tricities from time to time... We enjoy the Tricities for their great wineries over 100 in the surrounding areas of the basin, as others mentioned the Columbia Center Mall in Kennewick is not what you may see in the Bay area but it seems to be adequate with most major department stores, and ofcourse there is always the Walmart in a few locations, and other national chain stores within a few minute drive. There are various activities in the city of Richland throughout the year that may interest you, the Richland chamber of commerce I provided for you below to help you prepare for your relocation and upon settling in to Richland..I'm an Army vet, and have 2 kids in the military, so can relate to your situation with your family... If you want snow it's more so in the Spokane area, Tricities does get snow, but normally nothing that would close the city down, as happened in Spokane this past winter, we had 7 feet, which was crazy...

Good Luck on your move...

City of Richland- Home Page
Vette-Dude, you are calling it Tricities like the 3 main cities have united under one government - to the best of my knowledge, this has not happened - there has been some "consolidation" talk, but nothing more. Unless I missed something.

It's not a hot spot for night life, but it's OK as a place to live and work, at least IMHO.

OP, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much house you can buy relatively cheap, and at how similar at least the summers are here to CA. In fact it gets hotter here, not necessarily an advantage, but, there it is.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:55 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,411,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Vette-Dude, you are calling it Tricities like the 3 main cities have united under one government - to the best of my knowledge, this has not happened - there has been some "consolidation" talk, but nothing more. Unless I missed something.

It's not a hot spot for night life, but it's OK as a place to live and work, at least IMHO.

OP, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much house you can buy relatively cheap, and at how similar at least the summers are here to CA. In fact it gets hotter here, not necessarily an advantage, but, there it is.
No I didn't state that Mitch, but would surely be an idea with the state of the economy and each town has it's own "gov't budget" .... The area is separate communitys/towns but then again they do overlap as do the ppl...Let's not play a game with wording..

OP, it's a nice area, a good number of retirees' in the area, not that it's an issue, just some knowledge to share, weather helps attract ppl. Homes either purchasing or renting are available, and with our economy being in the toilet, the TriCities seems not as affected as most cities in the nation. Helps to have the gov't plant in Richland and the many wineries for employment opportunities...

vette-dude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities