Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 10:49 AM

95 posts, read 416,744 times

Advertisements

I've taken my dog down to swim in the Columbia River right near our house in Pasco (just west of the blue bridge). I assume the river is clean enough for such activity? Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Normally, yes. But if you watch the news, you will hear about a dump of raw sewage from Mabton's treatment plant into the Yakima, which leads into the Columbia. So long as you are upstream of where the Yakima and Columbia join, probably, you are OK for both dog and human swimming (although it stays pretty cold)

Old 04-29-2010, 02:20 PM

95 posts, read 416,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Normally, yes. But if you watch the news, you will hear about a dump of raw sewage from Mabton's treatment plant into the Yakima, which leads into the Columbia. So long as you are upstream of where the Yakima and Columbia join, probably, you are OK for both dog and human swimming (although it stays pretty cold)
Wow, is that intentional or accidental? How often does it happen? We're slightly down river from where the Yakima meets the Columbia so I'll always wonder now. It is announced to the public though? Before or after it happens?

Old 04-29-2010, 05:19 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I remember playing baseball and football at Mabton, so I guess this doesn't surprise me too much.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neal93 View Post
Wow, is that intentional or accidental? How often does it happen? We're slightly down river from where the Yakima meets the Columbia so I'll always wonder now. It is announced to the public though? Before or after it happens?
News was on the local ABC affiliate (we live out in the Valley so it's different for you than me)

Power outage - backup generator didn't start - happend over a weekend so no one checked on it till Monday am.

IMHO an accidental start but made worse by incompetence.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:17 PM

150 posts, read 695,897 times
I sure hope so cause I spend a lot of time in the river over the summer...

Old 05-04-2010, 03:55 PM

Well by now the sewage spill is a thing of the past, in general the Columbia is pretty clean, the Yakima can be a bit funky, and of course the Columbia downstream of Tri-Cities includes that funk - but the typical "recreational area" parts of the Columbia, are pretty clean really.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:04 AM

38 posts, read 161,318 times
The amount of sewage spilled into the Yakima was diluted to non-threatening by the time it was 1 mile down river. Think parts per million. By the time it got to the Columbia, it was non-existent. Think parts per billions. When these things were explained to me by a scientist who dealt with water treatment study in a national lab a few years ago, I stopped worrying about the river. I think a dog would have a better chance of getting sick just eating his own poo...

Old 05-06-2010, 08:14 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
The dog will be fine...he's a dog.

There's more in the Yakima from ag run-off than Mabton will put in. Check the state DEQ or EPA (I forget which they call it) for water quality stats on both rivers.

There was a time not long ago when swimming in either river at the wrong time or place might not be the best idea, but both are considerably cleaner than say, the 1970s...

Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,550 times
I take my dog in the irrigation canals, then we rinse her off.
100% Lab. Try to keep a Lab out of the Water on a 90 degree day.
Just rinse him/her off with city water in case of bugs or algee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities