Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I'll try and remember to ask my brother next time I talk to him on the phone. Now I'm curious, myself!

I sometimes think of those things at the oddest times. I'll be standing inside the Lightrail, or riding the bus, and I'll look around and think, "I could be right next to a serial murderer, or a rapist, for all I know." And chances are pretty good that most of us have been in the vicinity of such a criminal at some time.

Back in the 80's I was taking a brisk walk along the road (a busy main arterial road) and I noticed this guy in a van watching me as he drove by. He nodded and kept going a bit slowly. "Something" about him gave me the creeps. Up ahead I happened to notice him in the parking lot of a grocery store, just sitting there in a space near the road like he was waiting. That's also the point where the road becomes a lot less busy. So instead of continuing on, I actually crossed that same parking lot ~ away from the van ~ and went into the store to call my husband for a pickup.
If only more people were more aware like you. Probably a lot less victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
The Manson Family, they wandered up and down the west coast and I met many of them when I lived in Southern and Central Oregon. I was a hippy type (employed though) but they were major CREEPY to say the least. Way before cults were ever defined it was very apparent that Manson held sway over those young woman. I never met him but his followers were in a trance like state when it came to discussing him and totally bizzaro.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:38 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Back in the 80's in southern Calif, waiting for a bus one day, a guy offered to give me a ride to where I was going instead. I didn't get any bad vibes from him, he seemed nice enough. The car was a convertible. All open....So i agreed. We got closer to where I lived, about a mile from my apt, and I suggested we stop at the store so I could pick up some groceries and some cat food. So I got out and went in the store, but he didn't come in. I met up with my sister in law by chance, inside the store and told her the guy gave me a ride and he was waiting outside. She talked me out of going back with him. Then I started getting worried because she was so worried. So I stayed in the store with her, we both waited until he finally gave up and left. But just as we were starting to come out, he came back around, circling the parking lot really slow, following another young lady. So my sis in law told store security about it, he went out and the guy took off squealing his tires.

Not long ago while watching an episode of True Crime, they were showing serial killers caught in the 80's for raping and killing young women. You know how they do the stories with actors re-enacting them. Well, they did the story and I thought, that is so familiar, the car, the guy. Then at the end, they showed live footage of the guy being arrested and I was shocked. The same guy that gave me a ride that day!! He was arrested in San Diego. Apparently he got away with killing 8 women.
I also never took rides from strangers ever again after that, not that I always did before. I thought I was so careful. I am just lucky my sister in law was in the store that day. Divine intervention.
Luckier yet, that you were running low on milk and cat food!

Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
My neighbor...the guy has a bowlful (and his bowls are the size of a basketball...cut in half!) of shredded wheat, EVERY morning. He shops at Costco and gets the monster-size boxes and must go through about 4 monster boxes each week!

He's the only cereal killer that I personally know.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:12 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I personally did not but "The Boston Strangler" knocked on my aunt's door and she said something told her not to open it.
If she didn't open the door, how did she know it was him? Unless she recognized him, in which case what told her not to open the door was his creeper mug.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:15 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
She saw him at her door and at the time she didn't know it was him until it was revealed later who The Boston Strangler was and she recognized him as the guy at her door...another woman was strangled that day in her area.

Gut instinct is a mighty powerful tool.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:23 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
Quote:
She saw him at her door and at the time she didn't know it was him until it was revealed later who The Boston Strangler was and she recognized him as the guy at her door...another woman was strangled that day in her area.

Gut instinct is a mighty powerful tool.
Crazy. I bet she had a fit when she realized her close call.

This makes me even more steadfast about by my usual behavior of never opening the door unless I recognize the person...though honestly all a killer has to do is show up in a UPS uniform holding a box and I'm a goner.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
I personally did not but "The Boston Strangler" knocked on my aunt's door and she said something told her not to open it.
I'm curious how did she know it was the Boston Strangler?

Old 06-17-2010, 04:13 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:

Back in that time period my parents and I were living on Beacon Hill, DeSalvo's killing area. He was killing nurses, my Mom was a nurse. One day there was a knock on the door and I wouldn't answer it because I was alone and afraid.

Skip ahead a couple of weeks later and I saw on the news that a lady on Pinkney St. had been murdered right around the time I had been walking home from school. Walked right past her apt building. Those were scary times for us. I've never been able to shake those feelings I had in those days.

Also, back in the late 90's there was a "newcomer" to my local bar. I didn't like his looks or the vibes I got from him. I used to tell people he reminded me of "a shadow". Lo and behold he was convicted later of killing a girl and dumping her body in the Quincy Quarry! My "gut" feelings about him proved correct!

I believe "there but for the grace of God, go I"

Old 06-17-2010, 04:30 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
Tam was that Sonja Leal? (not sure if that is correct) I live up the street from there which thankfully is now all filled in.

Backliteyes I think what stopped her from opening the door is my cousin was a baby. She lives in Malden on a main street .....

bulldog at that time she did not know that it was The Boston Strangler until later. It was also a time that the Strangler was well publicized around here because there had already been murders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime