Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 05:16 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
I'm just curious if you've read any of the books written about the case? I've read three, four if you count John Douglas's chapter which is pro-Ramsey, and I think they clearly dispute ANY possibility of anyone other than the Ramsey's being responsible. Douglas doesn't use any evidence to clear the Ramseys, he uses a profile.
I got the feeling that the ones who blundered the case wanted it closed, it was the OTHER detectives that wanted to put the Ramseys on trial.
Case blundering was the Ramsey families saving grace.

Profiles are disputed among experts in the field.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:31 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,586 times
I think it's strange that in all these years her brother Burke hasn't slipped with any information about JonBenet's death. We haven't even read about him in the news acting out and I kind of wish he would. I think he may have answers to some of our questions.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
I think it's strange that in all these years her brother Burke hasn't slipped with any information about JonBenet's death. We haven't even read about him in the news acting out and I kind of wish he would. I think he may have answers to some of our questions.
So true, I've thought about that. I guess w/ a dysfunctional family like theirs secrets are sport. You never know, if the guy has lot of therapy maybe someday we'll hear something.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Case blundering was the Ramsey families saving grace.

Profiles are disputed among experts in the field.
You do wonder how could everyone who touched that case bungle it so bad. It was a perfect storm of incompetence.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I think it was manipulated and managed by the Ramsey's. They intimidated lower level officials. No supervisors or senior staff are working on Christmas.

The first thing that should have been done, secure the scene, call for supervision, and FBI. That training needs to be ingrained in heads of officers. Breach of protocol in this entire process.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:29 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Hell, the Ramseys may have paid off the cops to throw the investigation off by appearing incompetent. Would not surprise me.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:08 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Hell, the Ramseys may have paid off the cops to throw the investigation off by appearing incompetent. Would not surprise me.
I doubt that. I know a lot of officers may be tempted, but most of them are so narcissistic, that they would never take a bribe that would reflect badly on them, Not make them look incompetent...too many involved.

Good idea though. But doubtful.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:24 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
I find the speculation about how this killing happened to be very interesting. However, at the end of the day, the problem is that it isn't much more than just speculation.

I felt John Ramsey was very convincing in his denials of involvement in the killing of Jon Benet. I was less convinced by Patsy Ramsey.

The reason that the Ramseys were never brought to trial has less to do with their power and influence in the community than it does with the fact that evidence is lacking to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they murdered their daughter. Of course, she was found dead in their home. And, there were some similarities between Patsy Ramsey's writing and the "ransom note". Those facts, standing alone, are insufficient for a conviction even if a Grand Jury issued an indictment.

You only get one shot at a conviction if you are a prosecutor and there is no statute of limitations for murder. Its why prosecutors wait months/years to develop a case before proceeding. That's a better explanation for why this case has taken the path that is has rather than some sort of "grand conspiracy".

Old 10-14-2013, 11:35 AM

297 posts, read 519,967 times
This website gives you an idea of the Ramseys' connections:

Six Degrees of Separation

Basically, the R's hired high-powered attorneys who have political clout in the state of Colorado, and connections with the Boulder DA's office.

For example, here's the paragraph on one of the lawyers, Hal Haddon:

Quote:
Hal Haddon, John Ramsey's lead defense attorney and partner in the Denver firm of Haddon, Morgan (21) & Foreman (5). Haddon has deep connections in the Democratic power structure on all levels, and was the manager of US Senator Gary Hart's (24) first campaign. Had Hart won his bid for the presidency, it was rumored that Haddon would be appointed US Attorney General. He has political ties to Hunter (23), Romer (3) and Clinton (20), and his firm has handled Clinton's taxes for years. He is said by some to be more powerful in Colorado than (governor at the time) Romer. His wife, Beverly Haddon, is a lobbyist and very active as well in Democratic politics. Haddon is connected to too many people to even begin to touch the surface, but one unusual client is Hunter S. Thompson (10). Haddon was co-counsel in a case with Robert Miller (11), which resulted in their sharing in the pot of $15 million in attorney fees and damages. He is also Hoffman's (25) personal attorney, and he or his firm is the attorney as well for Donald L. Stevens, husband of Lt. Governor of Colorado, Gail Schoettler. She is the Democratic candidate for governor. Stevens was a fraternity brother of John Ramsey at Michigan State, and they have been friends for 35 years. Haddon is also the attorney for Paula Woodward, "investigative" TV journalist and anchor at Denver's 9-KUSA. She has treated the Ramseys with kid gloves and hence was one of the few chosen to attend the May 1, 1997 Informercial.
A website about each member of the Ramsey Team and how much they were paid. Remember these are '97 prices: http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill...imer2_tip.html

Last edited by traveler92; 10-14-2013 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-16-2013, 02:57 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Ramsey's had Lin Wood as their defense atty. Same atty who handled the "Atlanta Olympics" case, Richard Jewell. MUCH of the truth will never come out on this case, sadly.
Our media is controlled by whatever it was fed, and prior Denver Prosecutor Mike Kane was quoted as saying the American public was completely lied to in the facts about this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime