Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 04:22 PM

125 posts, read 125,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The thing is, there are so many different interpretations of this note.
E.g. Analysis Of The JonBenet Ramsey Ransom Note
"The writer also states in lines #2 and #3 that they "represent a small foreign faction." The use of the word "foreign" doesn't make sense. Even if to us they are foreigners, they wouldn't call themselves foreigners. They are not foreigners to themselves..."
and
JonBenet Ramsey Case Encyclopedia / Interpreting the Contents of the RN
and
11031997tommilleranalysis.htm
etc. Again, it's hard to know what to believe.
The term "foreign faction" is an attempt at deception so obvious that it's silly, and glaringly jejune. The writer desperately wants the reader to think that she and her accomplices are not local residents of Boulder. Indeed, the attempt at deception is so desperate that one cannot help but suspect that the writer lives in the very same neighborhood as the Ramseys.

McClish's mistake is presuming Patsy wrote the note and then crafting his analysis to support his presumption. One of the most obvious characteristics of the note which rules Patsy and John out as suspects is the unusual length of the note. McClish apparently fails to recognize that it would have been unbearably agonizing for either parent to compose such a protracted note under the stress they would most certainly be under due to the shock of either of them, or their son, having murdered JonBenet, as well as the pressure to avoid giving themselves away. Had Patsy or John written the note, it would have been as succinct as possible."We have your daughter. We will notify you of our ransom demands." That's it.

The other obvious characteristic about the note is it's undeniable juvenile overtones. Everything from the ridiculous "small foreign faction" ruse, to the quipping of lines from the movie "Speed", to the absurd ransom demand, screams out loud that this note was written by a young adult. That McClish could have missed this is telling as to his objectivity as well as his abilities. I sincerely hope that "statement analysis" is not his day job.

But perhaps the most unforgivable oversight for McClish is that he fails to recognize that the writer is going to extreme lengths--literally--to sell the idea of a kidnapping to the reader. This note is two and a half pages long. Who is she so desperately trying to convince? ...the Ramseys?.. The mere two lines "We have your daughter. We will notify you of our ransom demands" plus JonBenet missing from her bed would have been convincing enough for the parents. ...the police?.. Again, a simple two-line memo with the child missing from the house would suffice for a ransom note. The writer is obviously selling the idea of kidnapping to her accomplice(s). This is the reason for all the synonyms, the movie references, the $118,000 ransom demand which was surely intended to aggravate a preexisting resentment which her accomplice has against John Ramsey for giving himself such an enormous bonus.

But why would the writer need to sell the idea of kidnapping to her accomplice? Most likely, because her accomplice has already expressed his intentions of killing JonBenet, perhaps even of beheading her, if that is what it takes to keep her from identifying him to police. The note writer wants no part in the murder of a child, particularly a child whom she and her family are familiar, just as she wants no part in kidnapping JonBenet, but kidnapping is the lesser of two evils right now.

Last edited by SigTurner; 01-27-2014 at 05:28 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 05:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
When you suspend your belief of how normal people act, and how parents are supposed to act...and take a critical look at the evidence, or lack thereof, the possibility of Jon Benet's parents being involved is more believable. Sadly.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
When you suspend your belief of how normal people act, and how parents are supposed to act...and take a critical look at the evidence, or lack thereof, the possibility of Jon Benet's parents being involved is more believable. Sadly.
The voice of reason!Thank you!

Old 01-27-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Tell me, what is it about John or Patsy Ramsey which convinces you that they were not normal people?

What is your impetus for suspending your belief in their normalcy to the extent that you could possibly be convinced that either of them were capable of such a horrendous act of murder against their own daughter?

What evidence or "lack thereof" has you so persuaded?

I want an intelligent answer.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
The voice of reason!Thank you!
We shall see.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:56 PM

9 posts, read 16,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
With respect, I hope you're wrong. There's still time for someone to slip up. And we may be armchair detectives, but the more this topic stays alive, more people younger than we are will gain interest and keep digging.
I hope that I'm wrong too, whoever is responsible needs to be caught. I have seen people adamantly defending John and Patsy and I have seen people adamantly accusing them, I don't know if the parents are guilty or not but there are a lot of questions that need answers regarding them and their behavior. I don't buy the burglary gone bad theory but stranger things and stranger cases have happened.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 PM

9 posts, read 16,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigTurner View Post

What do you consider an "intelligent" answer?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:11 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Quote:
Tell me, what is it about John or Patsy Ramsey which convinces you that they were not normal people?

What is your impetus for suspending your belief in their normalcy to the extent that you could possibly be convinced that either of them were capable of such a horrendous act of murder against their own daughter?

What evidence or "lack thereof" has you so persuaded?

I know your question isn't addressed to me but since I agree with Jasper...I'll give it a shot...Just a casual observer of parents who were exonerated of wrongdoing in the deaths of their children...John Walsh and Mark Klaus being two examples off the top of my head...they cooperated 100% with authorities from the outset and in John Walsh's case both he and his wife revealed embarrassing details of their faithfulness to each other or lack thereof...Mark Klas couldn't answer questions fast enough in order for police to eliminate him as a suspect so they could focus on saving Polly...Elizabeth Smar'ts father wound up hospitalized from exhaustion days after she went missing and was subjected to questions of his sexual orientation which in his Mormon community had to be difficult...Now you will say there is no playbook of how parents should act when their child goes missing or is murdered...which is true in some sense...but there are some truisms in the human experience... and one of those is the love of a child by their parent...Mom and Dad will walk through fire to get that child home safely...unless the Ramsey's knew their cooperation wasn't going to help bring little Jon Benet back?...

Old 01-27-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
The term "foreign faction" is an attempt at deception so obvious that it's silly, and glaringly jejune. The writer desperately wants the reader to think that she and her accomplices are not local residents of Boulder. Indeed, the attempt at deception is so desperate that one cannot help but suspect that the writer lives in the very same neighborhood as the Ramseys.

McClish's mistake is presuming Patsy wrote the note and then crafting his analysis to support his presumption. One of the most obvious characteristics of the note which rules Patsy and John out as suspects is the unusual length of the note. McClish apparently fails to recognize that it would have been unbearably agonizing for either parent to compose such a protracted note under the stress they would most certainly be under due to the shock of either of them, or their son, having murdered JonBenet, as well as the pressure to avoid giving themselves away. Had Patsy or John written the note, it would have been as succinct as possible."We have your daughter. We will notify you of our ransom demands." That's it.

The other obvious characteristic about the note is it's undeniable juvenile overtones. Everything from the ridiculous "small foreign faction" ruse, to the quipping of lines from the movie "Speed", to the absurd ransom demand, screams out loud that this note was written by a young adult. That McClish could have missed this is telling as to his objectivity as well as his abilities. I sincerely hope that "statement analysis" is not his day job.

But perhaps the most unforgivable oversight for McClish is that he fails to recognize that the writer is going to extreme lengths--literally--to sell the idea of a kidnapping to the reader. This note is two and a half pages long. Who is she so desperately trying to convince? ...the Ramseys?.. The mere two lines "We have your daughter. We will notify you of our ransom demands" plus JonBenet missing from her bed would have been convincing enough for the parents. ...the police?.. Again, a simple two-line memo with the child missing from the house would suffice for a ransom note. The writer is obviously selling the idea of kidnapping to her accomplice(s). This is the reason for all the synonyms, the movie references, the $118,000 ransom demand which was surely intended to aggravate a preexisting resentment which her accomplice has against John Ramsey for giving himself such an enormous bonus.

But why would the writer need to sell the idea of kidnapping to her accomplice? Most likely, because her accomplice has already expressed his intentions of killing JonBenet, perhaps even of beheading her, if that is what it takes to keep her from identifying him to police. The note writer wants no part in the murder of a child, particularly a child whom she and her family are familiar, just as she wants no part in kidnapping JonBenet, but kidnapping is the lesser of two evils right now.
As for Tom Miller, I believe the man to be a charlatan. The weight of forensic analysis regarding the possibility of Patsy being the author of the note weighs heavily on the side of her NOT being the author of note. Considering the notoriety of this case and how every self-described "handwriting analysis expert" is wanting to elbow his way into the arena for entirely venal reasons, I have no faith in the man's opinion.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonWolf View Post
I hope that I'm wrong too, whoever is responsible needs to be caught. I have seen people adamantly defending John and Patsy and I have seen people adamantly accusing them, I don't know if the parents are guilty or not but there are a lot of questions that need answers regarding them and their behavior. I don't buy the burglary gone bad theory but stranger things and stranger cases have happened.
What about their behavior has you so suspicious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime