Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 08:01 PM

125 posts, read 125,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post

But Patsy's (and Burke's, but not JB's) fingerprints were on the bowl.
There is nothing surprising about Patsy or Burke's fingerprints being on the bowl. They both resided in the house. Either of them could have easily touched the bowl prior to the murder or soon after the discovery the ransom note without even remembering having done so.

Quote:
Patsy had to have handled the bowl at some point close to JB's time of death.
Not necessarily.

Quote:
How long would a bowl of cut pineapple normally be left out, unrefrigerated?
Normally? The better question might be "How long would a bowl of pineapple be left out following the murder of a six year-old girl?"

Quote:
I think Patsy would have been unlikely to backtrack her story once she felt "locked in." She was sophisticated enough I believe to realize that backtracking in that manner would be just the ***** in her armor the BPD investigators sought. So no matter how innocent the pineapple was or wasn't, she couldn't admit to having fed it to JB once it was established that JB was sound asleep from the time they left the White's. (Although Burke stated that JB did wake when arriving home, and walked upstairs herself. Another oddity? Or was Burke confabulating a past experience? Again, what is the Ramsey's advantage to lie about such a thing.)
Even career criminals will make the mistake of revising their stories in order to fit the "facts." This is why detectives will feed a suspect false information during interrogation: a guilty person will revise their story in order to accommodate the false information (consciousness of guilt).

Of course, if this interrogation trick is not employed sagaciously, we end up with a "Meredith Kercher" type fiasco wherein a subject revises her story in order to accommodate the interrogators because she is worn out from the interrogation and fears being arrested if she does not tell the police what they want to hear. Then an innocent person is arrested for a crime he did not commit and the unscrupulous detective (or prosecutor) feels compelled to rope the false accuser in as a prime suspect in order to cover his own arse against charges of official misconduct and abuse of office. However, this is another story.

Anyway, what is more likely, that Patsy is a criminal mastermind, particularly adept at dodging such interrogation tricks, or that she was simply telling the truth about the pineapple?

That there may be petty inconsistencies between Burke's version of events and Patsy's version of events regarding JonBenet's state of slumber at the time the family returned home is actually evidence that both are telling the truth since petty inconsistencies are expected when two versions of the same event are related by two different people. It is when the two stories either vary wildly or match identically that one should be keenly suspicious of deception.

Last edited by SigTurner; 02-10-2014 at 08:17 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Thirdly, have you studied the autopsy report and examined the autopsy photos? Does this brutal, methodic crime look as if it were committed by a nine year-old boy? Pay particular attention to the eight inch fissure across the top of the skull with the plug of bone knocked out near the occipital/ parietal region of the cranium. Does this look like the work of a nine year-old boy, or someone with the strength of an adult male?

Of course not. Why would I examine or study anything like that?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-11-2014, 11:36 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
If you go to MY SETTINGS, then you see CONTROL PANEL on the top left. Scroll down until you get to EDIT IGNORE LIST. You can type in the name of the person whose posts you do not want to see.

And it really works! Takes only a few seconds and when you come back you will see the person's name but it will say This message is hidden because the person is on your ignore list.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Discuss the crime. Not other posters.

Thank you.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:29 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
[quote=SigTurner;33412425]In some cultures, it would be considered "sexualizing" for a woman to leave the house without being covered head to toe in a burqa.

What is "normal" is often a matter of cultural context.

How many parents dress their daughters up in skimpy figure skating outfits?

How many parents allow their daughters to act in the roles of adult characters in the school play?

Are they all "sexualizing" their children?

I recall in the third or fourth grade, playing the role of a prince in which I was required to kiss the princess at the climax of the play. Were the princess and I being "sexualized"?

However quirky or "abnormal" such child pageantry may be, it does in no way amount to evidence that JonBenet was sexually abused by either of her parents, and it certainly does not amount to evidence that she was murdered by either of her parents]

I don't see it as normal, you do. I would defer to a psychologist or psychiatrist for their interpretation of involving a child in beauty pageants at a young age, dyeing the hair, the hip swivels, low cut tops. I'm not sure what's been said or documented by professionals regarding this, but would defer to their professional opinion. Anyone know what's been said about this matter?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:53 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Apparently Patsy received criticism from her close friend Priscilla White, whose daughter Daphne was the same age as JonBenet. It sounds as if Patsy thought the pageant experience would be similar to her own as a youth.

23 PATSY RAMSEY: Well, Priscilla was
24 never crazy about me doing this whole pageant
25 with JonBenet, she thought that was just totally
1 unnecessary, because she said you know, it's
2 just not the thing to do. Well, you know, I had
3 grown up doing it, I enjoyed it, I had a lot of
4 friends who had done it. I had very good
5 experience with it. So that's what I brought to
6 the table. My daughter was a performer, she was
7 beautiful, she was outgoing, and flourished in
8 that type of an environment. Daphne was not.
9 You know.
10 So Priscilla would oftentimes say
11 to me, you know, you just, you shouldn't do
12 that, you know, that's not a good thing to
13 happen.
14 I thought, you know, well, you
15 raise your children the way you do and we don't
16 all raise our children the same.
http://www.acandyrose.com/1998BPD-Patsy-Interview-Complete.htm

Old 02-11-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post

I don't see it as normal, you do. I would defer to a psychologist or psychiatrist for their interpretation of involving a child in beauty pageants at a young age, dyeing the hair, the hip swivels, low cut tops. I'm not sure what's been said or documented by professionals regarding this, but would defer to their professional opinion. Anyone know what's been said about this matter?
Personally, I think it's a little quirky. Beauty pageants are not something that I would consider enrolling may six year-old daughter in. That being said, I would not consider enrolling my six year-old daughter in little league American football either, but some parents would; and it is their prerogative as a parent. It is not something I'm going to pass too much judgment over, except to say that its not for me. In my family, young girls pursue cheerleading, figure skating, and gymnastics. It's what we are familiar with.

It is good to hear you say that you would defer to a psychologist or psychiatrist in this matter. Now, ask any psychologist or psychiatrist if Patsy's enrolling JonBenet in beauty pageants necessarily amounts to evidence that she or John sexually abused JonBenet or murdered her. While you're at it, ask your psychiatrist if it is not completely irrational and downright neurotic to insist that Patsy must have committed such heinous behavior due to her enrolling JonBenet in beauty pageants.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

Quote:
Sig: Thirdly, have you studied the autopsy report and examined the autopsy photos? Does this brutal, methodic crime look as if it were committed by a nine year-old boy? Pay particular attention to the eight inch fissure across the top of the skull with the plug of bone knocked out near the occipital/ parietal region of the cranium. Does this look like the work of a nine year-old boy, or someone with the strength of an adult male?
Of course not. Why would I examine or study anything like that?
Well, Jeez, I don't know…

Could it be because "you do not believe that Burke wrote the note, but that Patsy probably did in an attempt to cover up Burke's crime" and you are basing your belief upon a careful study of the evidence…

…or not?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 PM

243 posts, read 509,698 times

NG, here are a few links:

Child beauty pageants are abuse, not ‘confidence building’ | Collective Shout

Destroying the myths of child beauty pageants - The Drum Opinion (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

How Do Child Beauty Pageants Affect a Child's Development? | Everyday Life - Global Post

Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I read that link (a few posts back) with the interview of Patsy, read some of it. What I've gotten out of it so far--her description of what she did, how she reacted, etc. sounds perfectly believable.

What might be telling is that after the murder, when the Ramseys fly down to Atlanta to be with Patsy's family, their friends, the Whites fly down too. BUT Mr (forgot his name) White is in some sort of frenzy, something about having to restrain him? Patsy's father and brother are scared that he might come to their house and they are asking if they have a gun?? AND Mrs. White, instead of comforting Patsy, is saying things like, "I could tell you a thing or two." Patsy says she doesn't have any idea of what she is talking about.

Why are the Whites so furious at Patsy? We don't know.

The only clue so far that I know of is that Mrs White (Priscilla) did not approve of the pageants. Not to jump to a conclusion but Mrs White may know that the pageants led, in some way, to the murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime