Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:02 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,219,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Interesting question. Maybe the feeling of "loneness"? Or an isolationist feeling combined with lack of strong community? Or transience?
It seems like Florida gets a good amount of pedophiles. WHen I lived there, you heard of so many crimes like that, and drugs--I hope I don't get the Floridians mad at me...
I'm from Florida, and you are correct. We seem to attract the worst of the worst and it doesn't matter if they're rich or poor. Florida's had it's share of serial killers, too. Must be the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 10:58 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have read many of Ann Rule's books, including "Stranger Beside Me" about her time spent working with Bundy at a suicide hotline and the entire case.

There are more infamous serial killers from that region than those two.
Also other types of unusual crimes - a preponderance of it considering the population.

I mean Maine and New Hampshire are pretty remote and very cold and desolate in the winter and you do not hear about a lot of serial murderers or spree killers or any type of murders coming out of those states.
Your original question would make a good thesis topic for a criminal justice student. With Maine and NH, my ideas are that New England is a whole different kettle of fish, so to speak the PNW. I think New Englander's take care of their own--community wholeness? (once your "in" you're in, but it takes a while to be accepted there) and even though the geography is good for "bad "people, New Englander's are more socially "proper," and have deep roots/ties in and to that area. And/or the community mores' are stronger than the PNW, which, to me, is kinda a free for all type vibe.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:24 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Sociologically and demographically I totally agree with you Phoenix lady - it is a "different kettle of fish."
A few posters were remaking that the rain or remoteness and isolation of the area could be contributing factors. I did part of my undergrad work in central New England and even there the winters were long dark and brutal.
Funny that you should mention a thesis topic - I have been toying with the idea of obtaining a Master's degree in sociology. Deviancy, a sub topic in sociology has always been an interest of mine and there is a lot of cross over with criminal justice.

I should think about this even though I am a bit old for school.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:32 AM

More Pacific North West Serial Killers -
Randy Woodfirld
Robert Lee Yates
Robert Pickton
James Elrige
Scott William Cox
Jerry Brudos
Gary Grant

Then there were two woman who while not serial killers stole the fetus out of the body of very pregnant women, killing them in the process - Darci Pierce
and Korena Roberts
There are others too and the F.B.I. speculate that there were others before Bundy

Old 06-27-2010, 12:57 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Sociologically and demographically I totally agree with you Phoenix lady - it is a "different kettle of fish."
A few posters were remaking that the rain or remoteness and isolation of the area could be contributing factors. I did part of my undergrad work in central New England and even there the winters were long dark and brutal.
Funny that you should mention a thesis topic - I have been toying with the idea of obtaining a Master's degree in sociology. Deviancy, a sub topic in sociology has always been an interest of mine and there is a lot of cross over with criminal justice.

I should think about this even though I am a bit old for school.
Age is relative, but I know what you mean. We feel old if we're past 25. Ha. Society is bizarre about those things. I saw a woman on the news at 75 or 80 and she had just received her law degree. And, the "kids" in her class (hee, hee) asked her if she was gonna use her degree, "Of course, what do you think I went to school for"? She was a stitch.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:49 PM

814 posts, read 669,980 times
Quote:
I have read many of Ann Rule's books, including "Stranger Beside Me" about her time spent working with Bundy at a suicide hotline and the entire case.

There are more infamous serial killers from that region than those two.
Also other types of unusual crimes - a preponderance of it considering the population.

I mean Maine and New Hampshire are pretty remote and very cold and desolate in the winter and you do not hear about a lot of serial murderers or spree killers or any type of murders coming out of those states.
What did you think of "Stranger Beside Me"?

Not sure there are more "infamous" killers than Bundy and Ridgeway. I did search around and found this link. I have to admit I was unaware that there was this many serial killers.
Suspected or convicted serial killers in Washington (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Qja3h0wwaUAJ:www.seattlepi.com/local/109337_serial20.shtml+Gary+Grant+killer&cd=1&hl=en &ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a - broken link)

Many of the killers are baby boomers that preyed on many prostitutes, could drug abuse be part of it? Could these killers be feeding on each others appetite to kill or feel the need to want to get away with something others did not?

I think the weather is much more mild through the winters in the NW than in the NE(whatever that means). It rains quite a bit but more importantly it looks like it's going to rain 8 months out of the year. I would think this kind of weather would accelerate mental illness'. Lack of sun does effect the human psyche.

I'm not privy to serial murderer's around the world, but do know Honduras has about the highest murders per 100,000. South America overall is pretty bad,Africa,SE Asia. There has to be something to the elements. For example New York City crime goes way up during the summer heat waves.
World Climate Maps

Interesting thread...

Old 06-27-2010, 03:39 PM

Oh Yes think I know how you read my post - I did not say other serial killers were more infamous than Bundy - i said that there were others BESIDES Bundy and the Green river killer.
In other words more killers - but I would agree - none as famous as Ted Bundy Or I should say infamous...

Did I like "Stranger Beside Me"? Been a long time since I've read that book but yes, I did like it.
Actually though I read a better book about Bundy written by two men who interviewed him. I will search for the title. This one was bone chilling.

For me Bundy is a scary person. Partly because of my age - I am a bit younger than most of his victims, but around that age. Most serial killers are disgusting looking and when I was a kid I never could understand how these woman could follow say Charles Manson. I was 9 when that happened and I thought "ewww gross". Bundy did not target prostitutes - he liked middle class girls. Liked to kill them that is.

I wonder if I would have gotten into Bundy's beige VW bug - which at that time was a favored car of "college types - professors and students. He would have seemed innocuous to me.

BUT back to the topic there sure are a lot of Serial Killers in the Pacific North West ...and I really wonder why!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:53 PM

The better book about Bundy IMO is "Only Living Witness"

Old 06-27-2010, 04:14 PM

814 posts, read 669,980 times
Quote:
Did I like "Stranger Beside Me"? Been a long time since I've read that book but yes, I did like it.
Actually though I read a better book about Bundy written by two men who interviewed him. I will search for the title. This one was bone chilling.

For me Bundy is a scary person. Partly because of my age - I am a bit younger than most of his victims, but around that age. Most serial killers are disgusting looking and when I was a kid I never could understand how these woman could follow say Charles Manson. I was 9 when that happened and I thought "ewww gross". Bundy did not target prostitutes - he liked middle class girls. Liked to kill them that is.

I wonder if I would have gotten into Bundy's beige VW bug - which at that time was a favored car of "college types - professors and students. He would have seemed innocuous to me.

BUT back to the topic there sure are a lot of Serial Killers in the Pacific North West ...and I really wonder why!
Bundy was the exception to the rule. I think the bad breakup with his ex girlfriend is what most think cracked him and is the reason why he targeted similar girls.

He used to fake a bad leg and be on crutches...talk about persuasive. Reading the "Stranger Beside Me" drew up all kinds of visuals for me...I used to go to the Rainbow Tavern in the U-District,used to fish Lake Sammamish and used to dirt bike around Tiger Mtn. Between him and Ridgeway these murders hit close to home for me.

I'll have to check out the book, Bundy was an articulate man. Thanks

Old 06-27-2010, 04:43 PM

I know you will enjoy it! Try to dig it up on amazon -let me know what you think.

Wow. Lake Samamish. My only reference for that is Bundy. Sad because i am sure that it's a lovely spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime