Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 09:11 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

President Carter commuted Patty's sentence during his term, and later, President Clinton gave her a Presidential Pardon.

Why did it take so long?

Perfect Victim, Girl in the Box, the Kidnapping of Coleen Stan who was held captive in a box for 23 hours a day, falls into this Stockholm syndrome category as well, in another way.

These are extremely difficult cases for any judge, prosecutor or defense attorney or jury.

What do you think? Not yet convinced of Patty Hearst's innocence? Or anyone else that uses this as a defense?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
President Carter commuted Patty's sentence during his term, and later, President Clinton gave her a Presidential Pardon.

Why did it take so long?

Perfect Victim, Girl in the Box, the Kidnapping of Coleen Stan who was held captive in a box for 23 hours a day, falls into this Stockholm syndrome category as well, in another way.

These are extremely difficult cases for any judge, prosecutor or defense attorney or jury.

What do you think? Not yet convinced of Patty Hearst's innocence? Or anyone else that uses this as a defense?

All I know is that if somebody kidnapped me, I would be giving them back rubs, cooking their dinner, and doing anything else (and I mean anything, short of hurting someone I love) so that they would not KILL ME and chop me into little pieces and bury me in a shallow grave.

The key is survival, and if you can make them think you are sympathetic to their cause, and that buys you time. Then I am all for it.

I was pretty young when the Patty Hurst thing happened, I don't know enough about it to judge one way or the other.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-27-2010, 10:48 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,839 times
Quote:

Why did it take so long?
Without doing any research (been a long time since I've read about her case) I'm going to guess "Stockholm" wasn't used in Patty's defense case. It's ironic that she's one person who came from a wealthy connected family who did end up doing some time.

I'm going to assume that people didn't buy her being a victim, but saw her as more of a participant.

I am convinced of her innocence. I formed that opinion years ago and remember how she was held in a locked closet, when the wasn't being beat and raped.

Quote:

In the case of Coleen Stan...I don't think that one is difficult for a judge at all. She was clearly a kidnap victim, even if she was a wandering young adult (if I recall correctly) at the time of her abduction.

Spending all that time in a coffin type environment when not being abused, would definitely give one a severe case of PTS/Stockholm and be a horrific ordeal. I don't think the jury had too much trouble convicting.

I think I remember she finally got away by slowly building up a relationship with the kidnappers wife/girlfriend who allowed her to stay out of the box more and more, while the abductor was away. I believe she just asked to walk away one day and the girlfriend let her.

I would probably end up fighting to my death, if it came to that, trying to get away in either of the cases you mention.

I have some trouble understanding how people like Jaycee Dugard and Steven Stayner didn't get away sooner, but I guess their souls really were stolen in a way.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 06-27-2010 at 11:17 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 08:03 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
Patty Hearst participated in an armed bank robbery where she had ample opportunity to escape from her captures.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:25 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
I saw her interviewed years back, can't recall with whom, Larry King? She went through hel*, it seems. And, wasn't there a woman, from the original SLA, who robbed a bank years back and was brought to justice,20 years later--while she had been married and having children--who knew nothing about her "former" life.
You never know how the brain will protect you during crisis like Patty Hearst went through--to stay sane and alive--your brain has to work up some strategy for survival, ie Stockholm Syndrome.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I saw her interviewed years back, can't recall with whom, Larry King? She went through hel*, it seems. And, wasn't there a woman, from the original SLA, who robbed a bank years back and was brought to justice,20 years later--while she had been married and having children--who knew nothing about her "former" life.
You never know how the brain will protect you during crisis like Patty Hearst went through--to stay sane and alive--your brain has to work up some strategy for survival, ie Stockholm Syndrome.
Baloney !

Many American POW's endured severe brainwashing methods.
I don't recall the enemy using them against American troops.

Patty Hearst was waving her gun at bank employees and giving orders.

No sympathy here !

Last edited by marmac; 06-28-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Patty Hearst was not a trained commando. She was a still-immature 19 year old when she was kidnapped. She was raped, held captive in a small closet and terrorized. Unless one has been in a similar situation at a similar time in life, we can only imagine the extent of her terror that she was going to be killed. The desire to stay alive is instinctive and she believed that if she didn't do what they said, they would kill her. When she was finally able to speak about her ordeal, this is what she said. I see her participation in the bank robbery as part of a desperate desire to remain alive. Since her release and after she got married, she has lived a quiet life as a mom and wife.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Also, Patty Hearst lived a pretty sheltered life before this happened (ie coming from a wealthy background). I'm sure her parents never said "When the kidnappers come for you and hold you in a closet torturing you, just remember mom and dad love you and are waiting for you--Be strong and don't let them get to you."
These groups know what they're doing and targeted her well. She had no connections to terrorism prior to the kidnapping and after, which speaks more than volumes...

Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
I believe the Stockoholm Syndrome could apply to many work situations today and many child abuse cases as well.

I have read enough books with child abuse where I've wondered, many times, reading them, why the wife didn't blow the whistle on her abusing spouse
and instead just sat there, did nothing, while all these "crimes" were being committed.
And, in the process, she ends up being convicted right along with her husband for not intervening. Operating completely out of fear.

Work situations today. A worker is so terrified of losing his/her job, he ends up committing "crimes" he normally wouldn't have committed had he had other options. And just look at this tight job market today and the corresponding fear and nowhere to turn to.

We're not all cut out of the same clothe, psyches come in many different colors. All so easy to project, what we would have done in a similar situation. which is never fair to the defendant.

Last edited by tijlover; 06-28-2010 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
To tell you the truth i never believed her story.Inthose work cases i also think its often a excuse. I mean the kid growing up in the hood has a better excuse for committing crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime