Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:09 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

I am wondering about how others feel about this. Especially when the crime was under-punished and very gruesome. Should they live in anonymity after perpetrating an atrocity - or does society have a right to know where they live,who they are, and what they did?

I am torn. i have a particular crime in mind but I am sure there are others.

When a child sexual predictor moves into the area we are notified now - at least where I live.

What about other crimes that involve sadism and torture? Does the public have the right to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Let me re-phrase - would you want to know if your neighbor was one?
Shouls we have the tight to know"

Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
About 40 years ago a vicious psychopath kidnapped a teenager in California, took her to the desert, raped her, chopped off both arms, poured lye on her head (which left her blind and bald) and left her alone to die. Amazingly, she survived and was able to testify against the man when he was caught. Since the girl survived, the death penalty didn't come into play but he spent a couple of decades (or more) in prison. When he was finally released, no community was willing to accept him so he ended up living in an apartment near the prison. I forget his name but think it was Larry something. I imagine the man is dead by now since this happened so long ago.

I have no problem with the death penalty for sadistic and vicious murderers and think it is a service to the rest of society to remove them permanently, as they will always be a danger to others. If the death penalty cannot be imposed, at the very least, give these demon possessed sub-humans life with no possibility of parole for them. Let them die quickly by execution or die later in prison. Just never let them out.

To answer the question--of course, I would want to know.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:38 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
The death penalty, in my estimation, is being too soft on crime. I'm totally opposed to it. Whatever this crime that this Larry perpetuated, should be
his own punishment. Same with the arsenic poisoners. Feed them a little arsenic each and every day. Colleen Stan was imprisoned in a box 23 hours a day for year, and Cameraon Hooker, what did he get out of it, a much larger "box" to live in.

I went through a period of being penpals to prisoners back in the 90's, murderers, sex offenders, bank robbers, you name it, partly it was done for research.

It's a misconception by the punishing public that these people are rotting away in a prison cell. If the public only knew!

Any number of these inmate have sex everyday in prison, eat our hearts out!
The problem with mankind is their extremely flexibility. Throw them in hell, they'll make a heaven out of it.

And how many of us can relate to that, from our own self-created "prison cells".

Old 07-01-2010, 09:46 PM

I realize these people are not "rotting away" in prison--at least not in this country!! I saw the video of Richard Speck that was smuggled out of prison and how he described his years in prison as "the time of his life". He was the "female" lover of another inmate and, IIRC, he was smoking a joint (or some other drug) at the time the video was shot.

I once had a patient who had done hard time in his past and I asked him about life in prison. He said it wasn't that bad, all things considered. Asked him about drugs and he said they were as readily available inside as on the outside--and that it was the guards that brought them in!!

<sigh> If only we could send the vicious and sadistic killers to Peru or Turkey or someplace that has horrible prison conditions.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am wondering about how others feel about this. Especially when the crime was under-punished and very gruesome. Should they live in anonymity after perpetrating an atrocity - or does society have a right to know where they live,who they are, and what they did?

I am torn. i have a particular crime in mind but I am sure there are others.

When a child sexual predictor moves into the area we are notified now - at least where I live.

What about other crimes that involve sadism and torture? Does the public have the right to know?

5 boys between the ages of 16 and 17 leave a football game in one car. They stop at a gas station and two of the boys are standing next to the vehicle and three go into the store and buy chips, pop and junk food. They leave the store and see the two boys in a fight so they try to defend them. All 5 are charged, convicted, sentenced as adults on carjacking. 12 years later they are released from prison/parole. One of them goes to work for a family member or friend of the family, marries and has a kid and moves into the house next door. You say hi to each other.

One of them is convicted of another crime and your online newspaper has links to click for past articles related to the same name and you come across your neighbors name.You run his name through the state offender system and confirm the information. Now what?

This person was convicted of a violent crime.

Do you "warn" all of your neighbors? Do you run to the PTO? Do you tell anyone who listens because "you" are the neighbor?

Let's say you have. The neighbors begin getting threatening phone calls, letters and their home and vehicles are vandalized---all of which is against the law but is somehow justified by the "good" citizens who want to keep the rubbish out.

No, you do the crime and the time, your done.

It isn't necessary to get a notification by mail. If you have a name, your good to go. (Excepting sexual offenses).

Old 07-02-2010, 05:38 PM

The me the operatives words were "particularly vicious" and a car jacking doesn't reach that level.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:10 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times
Really? I found the operative words in the whole shabang "under punished".

What this says to me is that the author doesn't have a real firm grasp on criminal justice.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:40 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I wonder for those of you who said they were opposed to the death penalty ,would feel differently if a sadistic vicous criminal totured one of your loved ones ? I myself believe in the death penalty and also I am against leaving them on death row for twenty yrs eating up our taxes to feed them , clothe them and give them medical and dental care when so many of our citizens cannot afford their own medical and dental care . As the daughter of a retired police detective and the granddaughter of a retired attorney this hits close to home .

Old 07-03-2010, 12:14 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Murderers and rapists should be treated the same way we treat a dog that bites a human: put 'em down.

Seriously, dogs are pretty primitive compared to humans. They don't really have a sense of right or wrong. Yet when a human kills or rapes, despite supposedly being able to determine right and wrong, people claim he simply had a bad childhood or was neglected by society or was unfairly targeted by the cops and as such he should get a second chance.

It's bleeding-heart bull****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime