Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 PM

19,209 posts, read 16,696,914 times

Advertisements

I completely agree with Sugarmaple's comments regarding this case. No amount of money will ever take away the pain the Garridos put this family through. If 20 Mil will provide a peaceful, safe and comfortable life for Jaycee and her children, then it's well worth it.

California's DOC has had problems for years. I hope they are working towards change and a better monitoring system to protect citizens from sickos like the Garridos. Now that the case has ended and the sentence has been handed down, 431 years for him and 35 for his wife seem fitting. They will never walk the streets again. Good riddance and may they both live a very long life behind bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I wish this case could have had the death penalty.

The ones I feel very sorry for are Jaycee's daughters. Garrido is their Father--a kidnapping rapist. Their Mother was a prisoner/slave, brainwashed and abused.

That family has more problems and issues than I can even imagine.

I would rather be poor and in debt than have those issues and $20 million. Forget it.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I completely agree with Sugarmaple's comments regarding this case. No amount of money will ever take away the pain the Garridos put this family through. If 20 Mil will provide a peaceful, safe and comfortable life for Jaycee and her children, then it's well worth it.

California's DOC has had problems for years. I hope they are working towards change and a better monitoring system to protect citizens from sickos like the Garridos. Now that the case has ended and the sentence has been handed down, 431 years for him and 35 for his wife seem fitting. They will never walk the streets again. Good riddance and may they both live a very long life behind bars.
I agree completely with this. Death is too good for these monstrous human aberrations. I hope both of them get a good dose of "prison justice", which, I understand, is commonly administered in prison to child molesters.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Death is too good for these monstrous human aberrations.
I'll say. I had no idea that Garrido used a stun gun on Jaycee when he first kidnapped her and then threatened to use it during her entire time in captivity. Jaycee Lee Dugard: Dugard's words tell vividly of her long ordeal - latimes.com

Old 06-11-2011, 01:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
There was a show today on TLC about Garrido. He never should have been let out of prison. I don't think rapists should be eligible for early release. Let out thiefs, and drug addicts, drug sales and gang bangers first. Keep the perverts in jail. They are wired wrong. You can't fix them.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:05 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
In my opinion $20 million isn't nearly enough...the police let these sickos slip through the cracks due to incompetence and laziness on a few occasions!!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I wish this case could have had the death penalty.

The ones I feel very sorry for are Jaycee's daughters. Garrido is their Father--a kidnapping rapist. Their Mother was a prisoner/slave, brainwashed and abused.

That family has more problems and issues than I can even imagine.

I would rather be poor and in debt than have those issues and $20 million. Forget it.

I understand what you mean, though I'm always amazed by the resiliency of the human spirit. IMO, Jaycee's experience with the Garridos could be compared to the Jews during the Holocaust. What horrible atrocities they endured.

Not to be flip and quote a movie line, but one that applies here is, "That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger." Jaycee and her daughters can now begin to build a new life - a better life - and they have the means to do it.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:17 PM

252 posts, read 555,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
To play devils advocate, it seems to me Jaycee has some culpability in her own case. I can't imagine being abducted at 11 and at some point between that age and 29 not realizing you can just "walk" away. She must have lived one sheltered life before her abduction.

I'm sorry I think the judgement/settlement is way too much!
You have to view it outside of the box. You are picturing a healthy aged mind realizing she could walk away. We get a lot, and I mean a lot, out of the social experience. She was stripped away of that at 11 years old, I wouldn't be surprised if she had the mentality of a 14 year old.

There was a girl who a family close by adopted. This girl is 16 now, her mother kept her in a locked attic her whole life. She couldn't communicate outside of simple words and grunts. Doctors said she had the mentality of a 5 year old.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 PM

252 posts, read 555,609 times
The thing that really bothers me, about this case and our society, is why women get off. The wife should have gotten just as much time as he did. Female sex offending teachers get a slap on the wrist compared to male teachers. An 18 boy in NC was arrested for having oral sex with a 15 year old girl. I think he spent 4 years in jail. A 38 year old female teacher slept with a 14 year old boy, she received 6 months probation.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:41 AM

Default Excessive?

I wonder if those here who think the 20 Mil is excessive would still think that, if they had gone through what Jaycee did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime