Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:31 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times

Advertisements

Guys also have the "bad girl" infatuation/fantasy as well - i.e. Tanya Harding's recent marriage - no, she's not in prison or death row, but still............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
I wonder-------if those male guys in prison suddenly/unexpectedly got released-------how many weeks do you think they would stay with their woman who admired them ?

I say weeks because once her bank account is drained, he will move on to greener pastures.
He now has freedom-----freedom to choose someone else.

He didn't have that freedom while in prison and had to take whatever came his way.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:33 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
my answer to the OP is that I could never understand why someone would do this. It just did not make sense to me.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:24 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Not everyone in jail/prison is a terrible person. Many just made really bad judgment call mistakes. But for a woman to be remotely interested in a murderer or a habitual criminal is just beyond me. The whole thing is crazy.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:51 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Not everyone in jail/prison is a terrible person. Many just made really bad judgment call mistakes. But for a woman to be remotely interested in a murderer or a habitual criminal is just beyond me. The whole thing is crazy.

I disagree.

A person sentenced to jail-------maybe
A person sentenced to prison----No

Old 07-06-2010, 03:47 PM

183 posts, read 322,783 times
I am a male and for the life of me I do not comprehend this.

I cannot tell you of the number of women I know that are totally fascinated with reading about, watching TV shows about, talking about, etc. serial killers, criminals, spousal murderers, etc. I'm talking a major obsession with some of the biggest scum in the history of society.

I just don't get it. They seem like they have a major infatuation with these guys. I'm not kidding.

I guess nice guys really really do finish last.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:21 PM

202 posts, read 484,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I'm certain you'll get plenty of theories.

As far as I'm concerned those that seek such relationships have major emotional and psychological issues.

This above would be my guess too.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
I recently heard a psychologist on tv using JVS as an example and stating that it's because it's the closest to a celebrity they can get. They know they will never be able to get Jesse James, for example, so they settle for trying to woo a serial killer!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:21 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I saw on TV the other day how J.Van Der Sloot was getting marriage proposals left and right since he's been incarcerated. And, on TV the other night, it showed the Night Stalker getting a proposal and marrying a magazine editor while he was in prison for his horrible crimes.

Why are these women doing it? Attraction to the ultimate "bad boy"? Unavailability/safety of marrying a criminal (don't have to worry about being cheated on or picking up their dirty socks, etc.) Mental Illness? Other reasons?
Heck, all that - and then some. Some women are desperate for a man. Also, some might think it's especially "romantic" to marry a guy behind bars. It's a "special" relationship. He'll be faithful to her (???), and she'll wait for him. She'll be his "savior". When (if) he gets out, they'll live "happily ever after."

The fantasy may go something like this:
After the release:
Woman: "See, told you I'd wait for you, honey."
Man: "I would have died without you, sweetheart. Thank you SO MUCH for waiting for me. I love you SO MUCH for that. You are my life."
Woman: (near tears) "And you're mine. We'll ALWAYS be together."

please ...

Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 AM

183 posts, read 322,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Heck, all that - and then some. Some women are desperate for a man. Also, some might think it's especially "romantic" to marry a guy behind bars. It's a "special" relationship. He'll be faithful to her (???), and she'll wait for him. She'll be his "savior". When (if) he gets out, they'll live "happily ever after."

The fantasy may go something like this:
After the release:
Woman: "See, told you I'd wait for you, honey."
Man: "I would have died without you, sweetheart. Thank you SO MUCH for waiting for me. I love you SO MUCH for that. You are my life."
Woman: (near tears) "And you're mine. We'll ALWAYS be together."

please ...
You forgot to add:

Man: "I just need the rest of your money and there is zero chance I will be around here 1 week after it's gone."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime