Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Myself, I ran an ad back in the 90's in a penpal magazine, looking for someone, and little did I know this magazine wormed its way into prisons all across the country. Even though I only submitted the ad once, 20+ years later, I'm still getting mail to this day, if you can believe that!

Of course, being curious, I started reading the letters, and I got hooked!

And little did I know, after it was too late, and numerous money orders sent for commissary, that there are professional letter writers in prison who will write the letters for others.

In retrospect, many of these letters took me to the outer stratosphere of a fantasy life, which I've never experienced before. It was similar to a drug experience which was hard to shake.

I went even so far as to prepare my house for an inmate's release. I was told of the release date, drove hundreds of mile to the prison to capture my great "prize", only to be told by an official at the prison, that this inmate was released three days ago, seen driving off with a woman. Yeah! I was taken!

But, I will still relish the fantasies over a two-year period, which was far better than the real thing. $1200 in this case, well spent! Great entertainment!

I, later, did some research on this inmate on the states DOC internet site and oofta! What a close call that was! 1/3 of the inmate's life spent in prison,
methamphetamine drug arrests repeatedly.

So, given it had actualized into reality, that $1200 would have, eventually, added another zero in no time. A close escape from hell!
I am in agreement that is a hell of a story!!! I knew you had a wild streak.

One of those cases where you can say, it is better to have loved and lost....no, really, just loved and lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 02:20 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Only out of curiosity, have I followed the recidivist path of this inmate via Arizona's DOC website the past 10 years, where you can view any inmate's history of crimes from Day 1. Very sad indeed. Not even out one month, back in again, stolen vehicle/drug bust.

And for anyone contemplating even a penpal relationship with an inmate, I would first go to the state's DOC website, it will tell you everything you want or don't want to know. As if that would be a deterrant to any number of people!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
I have a good friend who is Correctional Officer on death row, in San Quentin. Scott Peterson gets about two bag fulls of mail, every week, from women wanting to marry him. They are from all over the world and, as someone said most are ugly? Not all. Alot of these women are GORGEOUS. You should see some of the photographs of these women.

One theory I haven't seen mentioned is this: Women have a built in motherly instinct. Many women marry/date men, whom they "think they can change." I'm willing to bet many of these women think they can change a criminal and make him a better person.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Every letter the prison gets should come with an automatic reply to each woman:Caution--It is recommended that you immediately seek out a qualified mental health professional!!
As I've said before, somewheres, why not adopt a pet, teach a kid to read, volunteer at a hospital if you need companionship and something to channel your free time into.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I saw on TV the other day how J.Van Der Sloot was getting marriage proposals left and right since he's been incarcerated. And, on TV the other night, it showed the Night Stalker getting a proposal and marrying a magazine editor while he was in prison for his horrible crimes.

Why are these women doing it? Attraction to the ultimate "bad boy"? Unavailability/safety of marrying a criminal (don't have to worry about being cheated on or picking up their dirty socks, etc.) Mental Illness? Other reasons?
Just a pathetic bid for attention, that's all .

Old 07-22-2010, 01:26 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
And? How many women, going to single's bars every week, end up getting involved with someone who should have been serving a prison sentence long ago?

And what keeps them out of prison? Luck! Pure luck!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 AM

41 posts, read 50,551 times
Well those of you who genuinely believe that all men in prison are horrible men obviously know noone who is actually in prison. Why someone would seek a prisoner out is beyond me.. but why someone would marry or love a prisoner is pretty easy to understand. Prisoners are people too believe it or not.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 AM

41 posts, read 50,551 times
Scott Peterson actually is scum of the earth.. I thought we were talking about real humans

Old 07-22-2010, 02:53 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Theres something wrong with a women attracted to a death row or life term sentence inmate. If these men were released and on the streets, these same women wouldn't look at them twice, its a high they get from the thrill without the personal risk.

[quote=Phoenix lady;14887937] And, on TV the other night, it showed the Night Stalker getting a proposal and marrying a magazine editor while he was in prison for his horrible crimes.

Why are these women doing it? [quote]

Old 07-22-2010, 04:25 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,821 times
Let's hope these women are very independent, because these kind of men will never help support them behind bars. I guess they would have to be women that have a great job, can take care of themselves, and never have to have a man with them everyday. If you can do all that, then I guess you can marry anyone you wish to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime