Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:14 AM

192 posts, read 436,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Thanks for the other suggestions here, too--the last one sounds familiar--I think there was a similar case in upstate New York some years ago.

Yes, that's the one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 04:03 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
So hat have you decided to read?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
Please list good books to read on true crime.
Here is a list of some I can remember: I will list them by name, following the author:

Deadly Innocence--Scott Burnside, Above The Law,-- Briam J. Karim, One Deadly Night, -- John Glatt, A Wife's Revenge, -- Eric Francis, Deadly American Beauty, --John Glatt, Honeymoon With A Killer, -- Don Lasseter, Lethal Embrace, --Robert Mladinich and Michael Benson.

Deadly Masquerade,-- Richard T. Pienciak, Deadly Mistress, --Michael Fleeman, No Good Deed, -- Tom Basinski, The Officer's Wife, --Michael Fleeman, In the Middle Of The Night, -- Brian McDonald.

Love Daddy--Carlton Smith, Double Jeopardy--Bob Hill, Without A Trace--Marion Collins, Blind Passion--John Glatt, Secrets Never Lie--R. Roberts McDonald, Broken Vows--Eric
Francis, Death Sentence--Joe Sharkey.

I hope these can keep you busy for a while. Some of them, may have to be ordered, because after 2 years, they go out of circulation in many stores. Enjoy...............

Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 PM

92 posts, read 113,073 times
Flora Rheta Schreiber wrote "The Shoemaker". I recommend it too.
"The Ice Man" Confessions of a Mafia Killer. Philip Carlo. Really, really scary. Polish hit man for the mob. Didn't get caught for a long time because he wasn't a member of the "family".

Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,561 times
Default Kudos and Reps!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Weirdly, I've never read In Cold Blood. I think I will make that my next book to read.

And I agree this is a great idea for a thread!
Yes! Kudos and reps for the member who started this most interesting thread. I hadn't been aware that there was a True Crime section. I did read In Cold Blood and it was very good. This is slightly off topic, but one reason I like the Dexter books is because the author doesn't describe the actual gorey details. Although the TV series does. I don't need gorey Dexter is fiction that is written similarly to true crime. The author writes with a wonderful sense of humor. That alone makes for a good read.

BTW...have always wanted to sit through a sensational trial. That is one of my goals in the not too distant future.

Last edited by 'M'; 07-26-2010 at 11:35 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 08:08 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
A good true crime book I read was on Ira Einhorn, "the Unicorn". Don't remember the author, though.
Another one (forgot the name of the author too), on Velma Barfield, a black widow in NC who finished on the the electric chair.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
By Joseph Wambaugh:

Fire Lover
The Onion Field

Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Joe McGiniss is another true crime author whom I respect. His work is good. I think the best of his is Fatal Vision. It's the story of Jeffrey McDonald, a Green Beret & MD who murdered his wife and 2 little girls while on a military post. It's a very spooky story. I could not put it down. It was made into a TV movie with Gary Cole as McDonald. Very good.
Fatal Vision is a good work of fiction. His premise about McDonald being on drugs was a complete fabrication. Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald, convicted of killing his family, has new — Enter Joel McGinniss — Crime Library on truTV.com

Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times
Enron.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:10 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
For anyone interested in the police investigation angle rather than the "criminal mind analysis" type of books, Mark Fuhrman's true crime books ought to be high on the list, in particular Murder in Greenwich (about the Moxley/Skakel case). My personal favorite is Murder in Spokane, about the serial killer Robert Yates and the women he murdered--but above all it is an in-depth critique of a near-botched police investigation. In Death and Justice Fuhrman explores the case of a too-zealous D.A. in Oklahoma who introduced flawed evidence in order to obtain guilty verdicts. That's a real eye-opener...And if you're into the entire JFK speculation phenomenon, Fuhrman's A Simple Act of Murder invites you to think twice about what you may have thought was obvious! Great read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime