Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:56 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,200,764 times

Advertisements

The only way she could have any kind of life outside of prison would be to change her name and try to establish a new identity. About 50 years ago there was a high profile murder in CA where a doctor and his mistress killed the doctor's wife so he wouldn't be taken to the cleaners in a divorce. The pair were convicted after three trials. The mistress, Carole Tregoff, was released after serving 8 years and went to work for a hospital in the same area in the medical records department. She changed her name after she got out. The doctor, Bernard Finch, was released after 12 years and went back to practicing medicine in another state.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:46 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I have mixed feelings about this one. She has been a model prisoner her entire time, never a disciplinary problem....The only reason she is still in prison is because of the high profile nature of the crime and Sharon Tate's father attended every single parole hearing for ALL the prisoners while he was still alive and always asked for parole to be denied. He is dead now.
Debra Tate, the remaining surviving sister of Sharon (both parents and Sharon's other sister have died now) attends many of the parole hearings.

Van Houten had a privileged but troubled upbringing...obviously a very disturbed young woman who was apparently deeply attracted to the
Manson "family."
Tate Family Legacy LESLIE VAN HOUTEN

Old 07-07-2010, 05:53 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
She was denied with a hearing again in 3 years

Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
She was denied with a hearing again in 3 years
Great news !

Old 07-07-2010, 06:38 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,349 times
Just a little clarification - Van Houten did not participate in the Tate murders but was involved in the LaBianca murdes that took place the next night. Regardless, I personally believe that she would be a good candidate for parole due to her youth at the time of the crime and the influence that Manson exerted over her and the others (exacerbated by the drug use).

If you consider the criminal justice system to be only for retribution, then I guess I understand those who say lock 'em up and throw away the key. However, if you believe that our system should include both punishment and rehabilitation, then I think she has earned the chance for parole.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 AM

---rehabilitation---I am all for regardless of the low success rate.

---rehabilitation--- should not be an option when a murder is the crime. (IMHO )

Old 07-07-2010, 10:33 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Other criminals have been paroled for doing far less than she did.

I think she has served her time and should be eligible for parole finally. Most people just lump her with Charlie and think they are all the same, you have to remember she was under the influence of drugs and charlie back then.
If I recall correctly, Bugliosi said Van Houten was the least influenced of all of them by Charlie and that it was therefore puzzling why she participated.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
I have to admit I don't see this case in black/white terms. I'm torn up about what should happen. I think I'll make the arguments for keeping her in prison and releasing her both. Perhaps, this will clarify this discussion. The argument for keeping Van Houten in prison is that the Tate/LaBianca murders were incredibly brutal and sadistic homicides perpetrated by Charles Manson and his nutty followers. Maybe society needs to send the message that anyone connected in anyway with such a crime can expect no mercy from the judicial system. This attitude might help deter future crimes of this sort. Van Houten was present during the murders of Leo and Rosemary LaBianca. She was not present at the Tate house during the Sharon Tate murders.

The argument for parole is that Van Houten has served 42 years in custody for committing this crime. Typically, the parole board would not just release her. It would set a date for her release perhaps 2-3 years from now if she completes certain requirements. This would mean her sentence would be approximately 45 years in prison. Van Houten is past sixty years of age now and is unlikely to present a physical danger to anyone. Van Houten has made serious efforts at rehabilitating herself according to everyone who has considered her case. What many do not understand is that the parole board cannot legally take the position in a case like this that the only factor to be considered is the crime itself. The board must also consider Van Houten's situation and whether she is still a danger to others, whether she feels true remorse over her crime, and whether she has seriously tried to rehabilitate herself. It isn't inexpensive to incarcerate someone in a prison and California is undergoing a record budget crisis. Everyday that Van Houten grows older in prison is a day that the people of California will likely have to pay for her medical care as well. Finally, Van Houten participated in an extraordinary brutal crime, but her role in that crime was probably less than all the others involved. I am not certain what I would do in this case. I could go either way.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:54 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
In cases like this, I believe surviving family members of the victim should have a say in whether or not the convict should be released/paroled. Some will say that 40 years is a sufficient sentence and she served her time, others will say that Mrs. La Bianca didn't have that choice, her life was taken from her in brutal fashion. If it were my mother/daughter/sister who was stabbed to death, I would not want that murderer released no matter how much of a model prisoner they became. To take it a step further, every beat of her heart and all those college degrees earned in prison and other accomplishments only rubs more salt in the wound.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
In cases like this, I believe surviving family members of the victim should have a say in whether or not the convict should be released/paroled. Some will say that 40 years is a sufficient sentence and she served her time, others will say that Mrs. La Bianca didn't have that choice, her life was taken from her in brutal fashion. If it were my mother/daughter/sister who was stabbed to death, I would not want that murderer released no matter how much of a model prisoner they became. To take it a step further, every beat of her heart and all those college degrees earned in prison and other accomplishments only rubs more salt in the wound.

I am against capital punishment.

However, if one of my loved ones got murdered, I would hope life in prison meant life in prison.

I agree with the ----rubs more salt in the wound----part also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.