Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 07:08 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Producer John Waters is friends with Leslie VanHouten and is an advocate for her release. Thinks it's wrong and cruel to keep her imprisoned forever for a mental illness.

I do not believe any of the Mansion followers were mentally ill - they were just gullible stupid-asses. But if she was mentally ill.... anyone that 'ill' can't be out among us, anyway.
True.

Waters claimed that he "saw certain similarities between himself and the Manson followers."
John Waters: Manson Family Member Should Be Free : NPR

Old 06-21-2016, 07:55 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Debra Tate, sister of Sharon Tate, again urges Gov Brown to deny parole to Leslie Van Houten, former member of the Manson cult.

Sharon Tate's sister urges Manson cult follower be denied parole - LA Times

Old 06-21-2016, 08:16 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I have to agree with the following comment,
"If 'life in prison' doesn't mean exactly that for the murderers of the LaBiancas as well as Charles Manson's other victims, then how can it be considered a reasonable and satisfactory alternative to being put to death?"

'Life in prison' should mean life for Leslie Van Houten - LA Times

Oh, allow me: Because imprisoning criminals for life was never the intention of the anti-death penalty activists.

That is a fact. All one has to do is consider the evolution of the compassionate release movement. Initially, their intention was to release terminally-ill "lifers." Then they pushed for the release of elderly lifers, then those who had chronic illnesses, then those whose family members were ill, etc., etc. In other words, when they ultimately suffer the same infirmities seen in the law-abiding population of a certain age, hand 'em the key. Newsflash: Disease and frailty are a natural consequence of aging.

Also, these "compassionate release" groups have sprouted a lot of heads, and they're advocates of indeterminate sentences--you know, those baffling 15 years-to-life sentences that, even when imposed for murder, aren't "life" sentences at all. In fact, they're up for parole based on having served a certain percentage of their minimum sentence. In an increasing number of states, they're required to be released.

Prisoner advocacy groups never intended to accommodate, much less support, life imprisonment for even the most dangerous offenders.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:26 AM

759 posts, read 637,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Debra Tate, sister of Sharon Tate, again urges Gov Brown to deny parole to Leslie Van Houten, former member of the Manson cult.

Sharon Tate's sister urges Manson cult follower be denied parole - LA Times

All once has to do is look at the crime scene photos to realize that these people should never be let out of jail. Those against the death penalty should take a real long look.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:10 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyDC10AA View Post
I doubt any of the Manson family members will ever be paroled, the crimes where so gruesome and so filled with rage and there are too many people who would have a problem with them living in the outside world, Also Charlie has not at all changed his colors he is a mass murder and will always be that.
Steve Grogan ("Clem"), who participated in the murder of Shorty Shea, has already been paroled, in part because he finally told authorities where to find Shea's body.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:24 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
The Associated Press: Manson follower faces parole board for 19th time

I believe in redemption but this crime was so hideous and, in the end, so tragic for everyone involved except for Charlie who needs to die right where he is.
I cannot believe he wasn't put to death? Even worse, they left this woman go? Pathetic what our country has come to....

Let me tell you, when a boy rapes a girl, and is caught and only gets, what 3 - 6 months, there is something seriously wrong with our judicial system.

Our laws have to get tougher....

Old 06-24-2016, 10:29 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I cannot believe he wasn't put to death? Even worse, they left this woman go? Pathetic what our country has come to....

Let me tell you, when a boy rapes a girl, and is caught and only gets, what 3 - 6 months, there is something seriously wrong with our judicial system.

The Manson family murderers were all sentenced to death, but shortly after, the death penalty was abolished and their sentences commuted to life in prison.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:34 AM

341 posts, read 266,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Its people like you who mess up the criminal justice system,the laws are outrageous already and our prisons are overcrowded we have the highest prison population in the world because of people like you.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:35 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
I'm sorry Debra, luv', but if it's 19th time that woman asks for parole. She is a granny now, and no danger to anybody. There's difference between Justice and Retaliation, the US isn't the Middle East yet.
and I'm in favour of the death penalty though. But sibnce she hasn't been executed back then, dangling in front of her every 2 years the possibility of parole to systematically refuse it is akin to harsh and cruel punishment in my book. Manson however should be kept locked behind bar and key, because contrary to Leslie Van Houten he didn't amend his ways (she converted to Christianity and is a model prisoner) and still beckons himself as a satanist (he even married a young follower behind bars).

Old 06-27-2016, 07:40 AM

341 posts, read 266,094 times
Since manson been locked up his been claiming innocence,that makes me have doubts if he was truely guilty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime