Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,076,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, they should and actually, the public is trusting that they will only seek the truth. After all, any of us could be unjustly accused of a crime! It can happen. Just being at the wrong place at the right time . . . someone close to us doing something felonious . . . it sure can happen.

I think about that often.

It brings to mind the Richard Jewell case. That ruined his life and he ended up dying at a young age. Trial by media. Devasted the man. Very sad.

Richard Jewell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unfortunately, having had a close loved one falsely accused of a crime, and hearing the DA say she didn't care about his guilt or innocence, I know all too well how corrupt our legal system can be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, they should and actually, the public is trusting that they will only seek the truth. After all, any of us could be unjustly accused of a crime! It can happen. Just being at the wrong place at the right time . . . someone close to us doing something felonious . . . it sure can happen.

I think about that often.

It brings to mind the Richard Jewell case. That ruined his life and he ended up dying at a young age. Trial by media. Devasted the man. Very sad.

There may have been a silver lining. Didn't Jewel sue one or more newspapers and win? Which started the modern trend of everyone saying 'person of interest' and 'alleged'.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:41 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There may have been a silver lining. Didn't Jewel sue one or more newspapers and win? Which started the modern trend of everyone saying 'person of interest' and 'alleged'.

According to the Wikipedia article, Jewell did receive more than one out-of-court settlement:

Old 09-25-2012, 06:07 PM

710 posts, read 1,960,617 times
Richard Jewell got a settlement from NBC News and I think I even recall Tom Brokaw saying something on the news about it one night.

As to Jeffrey MacDonald--There is no doubt in my mind he did it. What a ridiculous bullcrap story. If he wasn't going to admit to it, he'd have to invent a story. It wasn't even that inventive of a story--wasn't there a copy of a Time magazine article with a story about the Manson murders in the living room or something?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post

As to Jeffrey MacDonald--There is no doubt in my mind he did it. What a ridiculous bullcrap story. If he wasn't going to admit to it, he'd have to invent a story. It wasn't even that inventive of a story--wasn't there a copy of a Time magazine article with a story about the Manson murders in the living room or something?
Exactly. But, some of these psycho's could have the video of the crimes playing for the cops and a written "to do" list of the murders and still be thought innocent!
Casey Anthony, OJ, etc., etc.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,190 times
Having researched this case extensively, I cannot offer an opinion as to whether or not he is guilty. NO ONE knows that for sure. However, I will say this: There is MORE then enough reasonable doubt in this case. The prosecutions case was weak to begin with and was tried on purely emotion. Very little physical evidence.

People have committed more heinous, cold blooded murders, and walked out of a court room, with confessions, physical evidence, et al. Yet one such as this, which is NOT clear cut and the man is in prison forever. Yes, our criminal justice system is totally screwed up.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:39 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes, Jewel won a civil suit. His attorney was Lin Wood in Atlanta who also was defense atty for the Ramseys.

Re: McDonald: read the book Fatal Justice, which was written by his apellate lawyers in 1997 first trying to get his case overturned.

Robert Boynton

The best defense witness was Helena Stoeckley, but she has been dead awhile now.

If he was taking cortisone /steroids and also the other type meds, imo he could have had an emotional break, "rage attack".

Jasper12: I had read a psychiatric profile of men who kill their pregnant spouses. It is surprisingly common, more than we think . (i.e. Scott Peterson, a narcissist sees his pregnant wife as nothing but a burden. I will try and find the drs website on this.)

Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 PM

Default broken system~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
Why take out your rage and massacre a baby, a child, yet leave the great big green beret ... It doesn't psychologically make sense to me.
Most sociopaths dont make sense.
This is what criminal defense attorneys rely upon, naive juries.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Right. Helena Stokeley as a "witness". She was a drugged out stoned loser. No doubt borderline PD. Believe it or not, I have seen people like this admit to crimes they did not commit, because then they feel more "important" or special. They like the drama. Think of folks like Mark Carr, who admitted to killing Jon Benet Ramsey, when it was obvious he did not.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:01 PM

Agreed. There are alot of naive idiots that criminal defense attys love to get on the jury.

I know a poster here who thinks all are innocent (incl Casey Anrhony) she is a naive sheltered person who hast worked for 30 years in the real world. These are the type people defense attys want on the jury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime