Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

No. I have to admit that were I to suddenly become very wealthy I'd be on a plane to Fiji where I'd hire myself a couple of huge, good-looking Fijian men as bodyguards and sit on the sand outisde my bura drinking kava kava all day long never again thinking of bad guys and true crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 PM

43 posts, read 27,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. I have to admit that were I to suddenly become very wealthy I'd be on a plane to Fiji where I'd hire myself a couple of huge, good-looking Fijian men as bodyguards and sit on the sand outisde my bura drinking kava kava all day long never again thinking of bad guys and true crime.
LOL!! Your post made my day!! I cracked up so loud that all I can say is a big Thank You. Please keep coming up with creative ideas, I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys them

Last edited by Catessa; 08-11-2010 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: wrong sentence

Old 08-11-2010, 10:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
That is the trouble with government losing control in the peoples eyes. After so much you satrt to see people act o thier own. It happens now in many countries.Now days more and more are taking to self defese as the first defense with police so far time wise away because of all thier problems i this society.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:13 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,624 times
To be a vigilante in general, no i don't think so. To be a vigilante in my own behalf, I should have already done that. I guess I don't have enough guts to be a vigilante.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:56 AM

593 posts, read 890,323 times
I'm not the vigilante type, but I reflected the other day that the most heavily armed people on earth are American civilians and growing percentage of OUR radical albeit vigilante wannabees will be scoping US Muslims due to the perceived belief that they are all a threat to them. OUR disinfranchised will become the radicals in the future ,but not based on idologies based on religion
but reactionists to unemployment,displacement social ills,hopelessness,pathological hatred and suicidal tendencies. I predict that thousands of muslims will live in fear of injury ,death or mosque attacks (sort of an American Jihad) but like Islamic radicals most of us will reject these Americans just as peaceful muslims reject their radicals. There are appoximately 50 Islamic cells
inthe US and an equal number of preparing militias,supreme white power groups,hate groups, biker cults,revolutionists and plain murders most whom are racists and will be targeting US muslims within this year. I don't even like being in Disney in fear of being in a collateral victim.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:24 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,624 times
Don't you think that the radical hate groups you describe from the US would have already done something? Why do you think it will start this year? Due mainly to the unemployment and social ills that are prevailing now in the US?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I'd find someone to make me a "chameleon" shell like The Prediator and have a helluva good time hunting down the world's bastards. Okay, so it's a fantasy. But it's one I enjoy.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:48 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Well, I think that there are certain crimes that are universally
despicable- rape, cold-blooded murder, child molestation, etc.
I don't see why it shouldn't be acceptable to do a little vigilante
justice every once in a while. Furthermore, now that I think about
it, why is it that movies like The Punisher and The Brave One are
successful?

There must be a reason for why vengeance is such a popular thing
to write about, or fantasize about, or make movies about. It feels good.

Little off topic there, but I thnk it was somewhat relevant.

And to answer the question, I would engage in vigilante justice
if I thought that I could get away with it, and if financial security was
certain. I'd only go after certain types, though.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:21 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
To a large extent, I believe this is how the West was won. When law enforcement was not available or could not handle the situation people just grouped together to do the job.

In cities in which entire police forces are bought off by druggies and neighborhoods and kids are threatened by these illegal activities, I might not do the job myself, but I would certainly be looking the other way.

I think the criminal justice system does take care of most of the lone wolf thugs adequately most of the time. I see the real problems occurring when the police are bought off by organized crime - nowadays drug gangs. Geeze, the CIA has been caught on many occasions smuggling drugs into the U.S. If drug crime has permeated that far into our country, I cannot help but believing politicians are also on the take.

If there were a group or a person who went after civic corruption of this sort, I don't think we'd ever hear of it. The person would be killed with a phony cover story, or more likely he/they would just disappear.

I think police in large cities function much better now because of all the federal undercover agents in cities since 911.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Let's pretend you come upon a large fortune of money. You won't have to worry about working, house payments or anything like that.

Would you spend your life as a vigilante, hunting down people who deserve far harsher punishments than the "justice" system hands out?
Nope. I'd spend my time on a white beach with a cold one and a smile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime