Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:19 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times

Advertisements

I saw on TV that Sharon Tate's sister, only one left sadly, kinda stood up for him. This was a while ago.Maybe they became close after the family tradgedy. I wonder about that relationship--Polanski w/ Sharon Tate's family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 03:59 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
For those of you who were ADULTS at the time I can say that "times were different" then. This young girl was dressed up and LOOKED of age and back then it was not the norm to ask a young woman her age to verify she was a consenting adult. After all she was at Jack Nicholsons home at a party of ADULTS. This does not excuse the issue but under the circumstances he was sentenced and served his time and then the judge changed his mind...that would NOT happen in today's world.

Why was an underage girl at an ADULT party looking like she was of age to attend? Yes she was a minor but where were her parents? It's not like she could have just walked into Nicholson's home.

Decades ago while vacationing in Tahiti on the island of Bora Bora, I met Roman while he was doing prelim work for the movie Hurricane, I was not impressed, this would have been after he was "on the run" as it were.

If in todays world you attended an ADULT party and there were young woman there would you be asking for ID? I know I looked very young long after I turned 21. So how is a guy to find out? Hi my name is....please may I see some ID? You would assume that everyone there was "of age".

Old 08-22-2010, 08:19 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,824 times
I, personally, have never been much for blaming the victim.

It was my understanding that Polanski made a plea bargain with the attorneys and started serving his sentence while waiting to be heard by the judge. The judge didn't agree to the lienient plea bargain so Polanski took off. Certainly NOT double jeopardy.

My understanding is they were all at a party at Nicholson's. Polanski knew this girl and knew her age. I guess there were no women his age there??? He's a sick POS IMO and being an elitist does not give him the right to escape punishment.

Do you also think he would have let Manson go after killing his wife. And how about the Nazis? He is a sick pup and should be locked up. I hear he still likes em' young. HE SODOMIZED A 13 YEAR OLD! AND DRUGGED HER!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:21 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Have to agree with Returningwest on this one. I am NOT saying that Polanski is a nice guy or not a nice guy. IMO he is a great director, but if he were a bad director I would feel the same way.

I grew up in the 1960s and came of age in the late 1970s. These were VERY VERY different and unique times in our society. Everything in general was MORE permissive. Many 13 year olds looked 13 however just as many could easily pass as 21 - or 25 for that matter.

Asking for I,D, happened sometimes but not always. The drinking age was 18 and movies were not even rated until I think the late 60s or early 70s.

I am not in anyway blaming the victim (who I am not sure is a true victim because of her recent statements) I am blaming the mother of the girl!

Also for younger posters, when you hear people talk of the "good old days" they are surely speaking of the very early 1960s and before. Not the mid 60s through the 70s.
People really grew up faster and differently then. They dated earlier and married earlier. If a few teenage kids were found drinking in the woods it was not thought that they may have a "substance abuse issue" Depending upon the age of the kids, most parents thought it was a right of passage and if any thing were just glad that it was not LSD,

As a mother of teens in today's very different climate, I still have to question the mother of this girl.
Also Polanski was already tried and sentenced under existing laws. It seems unheard of for a court to rethink the matter and impose a more hefty sentence as social mores and laws change and evolve.
In fact it sounds like double jeopardy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime