Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 02:56 AM

202 posts, read 153,886 times

Advertisements

DNA via breathalyzer

I was recently researching a murder that occurred in Italy years ago and during the course of it the investigators made a premature move on a suspect who turned out to be innocent.

Later they identified the real killer using DNA test results they had lucked in on from the killer's family. But the investigator's didn't want to risk further embarrassment by getting things wrong again, and in addition they were concerned if they conducted a DNA test on the killer to confirm things he might flee while they were awaiting the results.

So the investigators had the police set up a breathe analysis station nearby to where the killer lived and kept it operating until they got a breath test from him. Instant DNA sample.

Simple. But brilliant, and they had their man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 05:34 AM

776 posts, read 958,219 times
A much more effective AND much less costly method.....

Surveillance of the subject by two investigators ( so they can both testify in court at a later date ) who follow the subject, looking for any item that he/she touches. Examples drinking straw, coffee cup, cigarette butt, napkin, fork. When the subject leaves, seize the item, bag and seal. Have the item tested at the lab, with a secure chain of evidence .

It does require some manpower, but it is also more effective and hard to argue against in a court.. by defence council.

XXX.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:17 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,349,026 times
Those tactics are one of the best parts of true crime novels. I love clever thinking.

Here is a favorite one of mine:

Suspect in the murder of a police officer was hiding out in his girlfriends apartment. Police needed to get him outside but he never left the apartment. One morning girl friend is due to leave for work. An officer sneaks up to her car and pops the tire. He says "no woman is going to change a tire when there's a man in the house"! He comes out and they arrest him without incident.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
A much more effective AND much less costly method.....

Surveillance of the subject by two investigators ( so they can both testify in court at a later date ) who follow the subject, looking for any item that he/she touches. Examples drinking straw, coffee cup, cigarette butt, napkin, fork. When the subject leaves, seize the item, bag and seal. Have the item tested at the lab, with a secure chain of evidence .

It does require some manpower, but it is also more effective and hard to argue against in a court.. by defence council.

XXX.
I have heard instances of police offering someone they had bought in for questioning a glass of water or coffee with the same purpose in mind.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Those tactics are one of the best parts of true crime novels. I love clever thinking.

Here is a favorite one of mine:

Suspect in the murder of a police officer was hiding out in his girlfriends apartment. Police needed to get him outside but he never left the apartment. One morning girl friend is due to leave for work. An officer sneaks up to her car and pops the tire. He says "no woman is going to change a tire when there's a man in the house"! He comes out and they arrest him without incident.
Private investigators who were pursuing people faking back injuries they were receiving compensation for would often do things like deliver a carton of beer on their doorstep and wait with a camera to record them coming out and picking it up.

The tyre (tire) trick you mentioned would also work for the 'faking a bad back' scenario.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:46 PM

776 posts, read 958,219 times
Cliff Hardy.

When I was working as a PI ( here in Toronto early 1990's ) I did one man surveillance on subjects who were collecting worker's compensation payments. The usual result was following them to a second job, where they were double dipping. Video with time and date stamp was taken. The video was shown to the employer, who called in their employee to watch it. Immediate dismissal for fraud. The fired employee was frequently sued in civil court by the employer to recover the funds that they had been paid. I once followed a suspect to a lakeside trailer park, where I got video of him waterskiing. For a half hour.

The tire trick was my last resort with subjects that were surveillance sensitive. Pulling a tire valve with vice grips only takes a few seconds. Getting the guy jacking up the car, wrestling the spare out of the trunk and using the tire wrench, on video was usually enough to close the file, with another pleased client.

One of the more productive methods... was to set up when the subject was known to be attending a Doctor's office for a medical examination. Video from a middle distance that allows a clear view of the walk up to the building would be shot. After the medical visit was over the subject would be followed and usually they would be just fine to walk and shop and sometimes go dancing after a meal at a bar. Video is a wonderful thing.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:53 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,544,097 times
Here's a line of research for you DNA enthusiasts. It is possible for an organism to have two lines of DNA. It's called chimerism. Cases of human chimerism have been documented. Also a person with a transplant can be shown to have two forms of DNA.
Plot for a murder mystery, perhaps?
Explanation for how someone gets away with murder?

Old 01-01-2018, 05:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,749,983 times
So when property is destroyed who pays restitution???

As a Property Manager I have had some real run ins with "Investigators" and they showed little regard for private property...

Threatened to have one arrested and take his license if it was the last thing I ever did... he wised up and paid up...

Investigators, Repo Guys, Bounty Hunters... often think they are above the law...

Rant Over...

Police were in a multi-city pursuit of a felon that ended with a crash just outside the apartment building... the felon fled and jumped over a fence with law enforcement driving through the fence...

Bet your bottom dollar I had the neighboring agency make restitution for damages...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-01-2018 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-01-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Cliff Hardy.

When I was working as a PI ( here in Toronto early 1990's ) I did one man surveillance on subjects who were collecting worker's compensation payments. The usual result was following them to a second job, where they were double dipping. Video with time and date stamp was taken. The video was shown to the employer, who called in their employee to watch it. Immediate dismissal for fraud. The fired employee was frequently sued in civil court by the employer to recover the funds that they had been paid. I once followed a suspect to a lakeside trailer park, where I got video of him waterskiing. For a half hour.

The tire trick was my last resort with subjects that were surveillance sensitive. Pulling a tire valve with vice grips only takes a few seconds. Getting the guy jacking up the car, wrestling the spare out of the trunk and using the tire wrench, on video was usually enough to close the file, with another pleased client.

One of the more productive methods... was to set up when the subject was known to be attending a Doctor's office for a medical examination. Video from a middle distance that allows a clear view of the walk up to the building would be shot. After the medical visit was over the subject would be followed and usually they would be just fine to walk and shop and sometimes go dancing after a meal at a bar. Video is a wonderful thing.
My mother worked for a private investigation company years ago. She didn't do much hands on stuff. But she came home with some great stories very much of the same ilk as yours. If you have any more feel free to share them please.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:33 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,939,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
So when property is destroyed who pays restitution???

As a Property Manager I have had some real run ins with "Investigators" and they showed little regard for private property...

Threatened to have one arrested and take his license if it was the last thing I ever did... he wised up and paid up...

Investigators, Repo Guys, Bounty Hunters... often think they are above the law...

Rant Over...

Police were in a multi-city pursuit of a felon that ended with a crash just outside the apartment building... the felon fled and jumped over a fence with law enforcement driving through the fence...

Bet your bottom dollar I had the neighboring agency make restitution for damages...
I was wondering the same thing. I didn’t think investigators could go breaking the law to get evidence. Sad to see that they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime