Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:59 AM

192 posts, read 436,162 times

Advertisements

Actually, this is not necessarily as suspicious as it sounds. For whatever reason, "back in the day", it was not that uncommon to save stillborn fetuses. The article does mention that one appeared premature, and the other supposedly newborn. It follows the typical story - someone goes poking around the cellar/attic, rummaging through old stuff, and finds some mummified fetuses.

It will be nearly impossible to determine at this point if they were born alive. About all they can do is try to figure out who they belonged to, but the mother is mostly likely dead by now, so it's unlikely that they will ever get the full story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 06:26 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,884,612 times
Sounds almost like the old case of Stella Williamson, a lady in Pennsylvania (? I think it was ?), who was a church lady and very admired in her community.

But when she died, they found 3 decomposed/mummified babies wrapped up in old newspapers in a trunk she had in her closet or attic (I don't remember which now).

It was estimated she had them in the 1930's to early 40's, out of wedlock, and didn't want anyone to know about her pregnancies and such.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:39 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbbphh View Post
Actually, this is not necessarily as suspicious as it sounds. For whatever reason, "back in the day", it was not that uncommon to save stillborn fetuses. The article does mention that one appeared premature, and the other supposedly newborn. It follows the typical story - someone goes poking around the cellar/attic, rummaging through old stuff, and finds some mummified fetuses.

It will be nearly impossible to determine at this point if they were born alive. About all they can do is try to figure out who they belonged to, but the mother is mostly likely dead by now, so it's unlikely that they will ever get the full story.
I know. Not understanding why everyone is getting all worked up over this. Most likely these babies were NOT "murdered". I read the story last week in the news and thought the same. Read one appeared to be premature and the other newborn. My thought was that the mom had them and most likely gave birth at home which was VERY common back then. They may have been stillborn or died right after birth. Mom and dad OR just dad OR just mom OR heck even the grandmother of these babies could have been the one that wrapped them in newspaper and put them in the trunk. There is probably no crime at all that was committed in these babies lives and they died naturally either in vitro or after birth.

There could be hundreds of thousands of newborns buried in backyards that were once prarie, farm land, etc that were born and died shortly after or were stillborn that the parents buried wherever they were at the time back in those times. No need to go thinking that the baby was murdered. Babies DO die right after birth or are born stillborn every single day from natural causes and we have great medical care now. Back then they did not have much for NICU or prenatal care.

Just bury what is left and be done w/ it.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 8,195 times
Default Stella Williamson's babies def murdered

The facts of this case regarding the cause and manner of death were well documented. These babies were sent to an experienced expert. Ligatures were found around the necks of a couple of the infants and one had a rag stuffed into its mouth. Ages of the infants ranged from a few weeks to up to a year old. This is not a case of miscarriage. While it is not definite that Stella Williamson killed her own children the note she left indicates that she was seeking absolution for what she indicated would be found in the attic.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 8,195 times
It was 5 babies. It was in Gallitzin PA, near the horseshoe curve. The babies were from a few weeks old to about a year. Evidence indicates they were strangled/asphixiated. The babies were found upon her death in 1980 (August) and she was not very popular nor respected. Local residents at the time reported that she was a bitter old spinster, who was described as a gossip monger and who would insult passers-by.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:57 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,145 times
When I was a NYC homicide detective I went through the NYC Medical Examiners "museum." Among the stuff there were the mummified remains of several infants, found wrapped in newspapers from many years earlier. I thought the attached card read they came from NJ, but my memory might be off on this, so they may be the same ones under discussion here.

Rich

Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 AM

257 posts, read 1,058,262 times
The date of the newspapers doesn't necessarily indicate when those babies were born. The papers could have been 20 years old. Lots of people keep old newspapers around.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:33 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Yes I agree with whom ever said just bury them and be done with it . Let it go it was so long ago . RIP dear ones and God bless you and keep you in his loving hands .

Old 10-16-2010, 12:49 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,055 times
Here's an update of where the case stands now.

Police release new details on mummified infants found in MacArthur Park | 89.3 KPCC

Old 03-02-2014, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,576 times
Default Mummified babies

.I have read a number of stories like these. In 1930 having an illegitimate baby was worse than death. Mothers would hide the bodies to keep her reputation intact. Then there were mothers that already had children and did not want more. They would kill the unwanted child or children and hide them. I remember one story, a woman died in the apartment she had lived in forever. In her closet were 4 full term mummified babies. Evidently, she had two children who she abused and always said she did not like children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime