Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:22 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,603 times

Advertisements

So, Ms. Lohan arrived at Court on time, actually earlier than necessary --as she has, in the past, arrived late, and the judge ordered her to be remanded, without bail, for drug test failure(s) and thus, violation of her probation. She was taken away in handcuffs to the jail and she cannot leave the jail until her violation of probation hearing which is, I believe October 27th. There has been lots of discussions already about whether this was appropriate or not --whether she should have been permitted to return to a rehab center, etc.

It is my understanding that this particular judge [not the one who previously presided over her] gave her the benefit before - 'clean slate' kinda thing but also stated, if you violate your terms, you will be remanded. Thus...

Thoughts? I tend to think she has been given a multitude of opportunities - perhaps this decision is appropriate? Is being a star tantamount to being above the law and/or tantamount to having special exceptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:47 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
thoughts?

My thinking is she needs to be given any or whatever jail time any John Q citizen would be given.
She's on a path of self- destruction...........it's her life and if she wants to go out in such a way-then so be it. No one has to do the living nor the dying for anyone else.
TaTa Lindsay!

Last edited by PippySkiddles; 09-24-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 02:09 PM

I was not surprised at all at the judge's decision/findings - the judge had given her a chance [given other judges had given several chances] - I think I am more surprised that others were surprised that the judge did that - I do not necessarily think one extreme to the other extreme [of the judicial spectrum] is always the wisest/most judicious process; however, just because someone is "really famous" in whatever regard does not warrant special exceptions all the time at all...I don't think laws were made with "except for....so and so" -- everyone certainly deserves a chance and an opportunity get help, to have to be accountable and/or responsible for their actions [which clearly has been reflected differently for a long time - especially with politicians, stars, etc.]...there are no longer or certainly no longer be two separate sets of rules and laws -- and, I think that as long as "stars" in the greatest sense of the term are able to pay their way out of something and/or continue to flaunt their feelings towards our judicial system, the more it tells others, hey as long as you are famous, a star, etc., you are not held to the same standards/laws as, you note: John Q---, then .....

Old 09-24-2010, 09:34 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
I believe the surprise was that it is against CA law not to be allowed bail while awaiting a hearing on a misdemeanor charge. That is what anyone else would have gotten. Her laywer has already won an appeal, through another judge, and bail has been set at $300,000, and she should be out tonight.

Whether she needs to be placed somewhere or not will be determined on Oct. 22nd by the judge. Personally I feel rehab is the only chance she has.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I thni it just shows how bad a problem she has really.Its not a new charge but a probation violation on a previous conviction with terms for beig free. In many case fo unajudicated the judge could ahve hit teh gavel and sentenced her.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
We may as well make an official announcement that those with money are above the law.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:58 AM

Hi Bideshi, I am becoming more and more convinced, unfortunately, that you are right - there is a whole different set of laws for those with money - I am not saying that someone who needs help, whether it be rehab, counseling and the like not be permitted to have it, by all means that should be a standard, the norm; however, if this happened to someone without the same financial means, I trust it would have been a whole different outcome. Although the statue of Lady Justice is blindfolded..... "people" in general seem to be getting more and more upset and annoyed with the system, I am hearing more and more comments about the system in restaurants, gas stations and on the street and I do not understand why law enforcement and the judiciary AND legislators, especially legislators do not listen to their constituents more-- I know that lots of things are not fair, and I certainly know that life is not always fair; however, when the system does not operate in a fair way, something really needs to be done about it.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:23 AM

Interesting comments on CNN.com re: the 'new' judge granting bail - etc.
Lohan released from jail after posting bail - CNN.com

Old 09-26-2010, 02:23 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
We may as well make an official announcement that those with money are above the law.
I think this is more an issue of her parents constantly bailing her out since she was a child. They never acted like parents, including leaving her to live for weeks in hotel rooms to film movies when she was a preteen. She never dealt with the consequences of her actions. This combined with her genetic load for substance abuse must make it very difficult for her to see anything objectively. (She could take a lesson from Robert Downey, Jr. Then again, he was much older than she when he finally hit bottom.)

Old 09-26-2010, 02:55 PM

CA4NOW, I think, in part, you may have a point regarding a child always being bailed out and not having any understanding of consequences - yet, I think, and I guess it is more my lack of understanding, in general, why one cannot logically recognize that for every action there is some type of reaction -- maybe not understanding to what degree that consequence may be. I also wonder, sometimes, when 'stars' and/or 'wealthier' stratas are even surprised that there would be some type of outrage or strong vocal opinion of the injustice, or even perceived injustice by the community ... as if there should not be anger or frustration...perhaps there truly is such a sense of entitlement with them that they don't understand or don't even care what others think, after all, people are still going to buy their CD's; or their movies...so, why should they think otherwise...I can't see anyone truly boycotting Lindsay Lohan, or who is going to boycott anything that Paris Hilton does...[smile] -- so, not only are they treated as if they are above the law, their actions reflect that they believe they are above the law...

What was it that Leona Helmsley was caught saying that day in court... "only the little people pay taxes", I am so totally convinced that had she not said that, she would have been enormously fined but would not have served any jail time at all - I think that faux paux on her part so reflected her attitude and belief system, that the judicial system 'knew' she would have to pay the price - I wonder, however, if she was really paying the price for her crime(s) or for what she said.

I do believe that Ms. Lohan needs to be in a rehab center; I also believe she needs to really stand in that courtroom and say, yup, I violated the terms of my conditions and if it means being incarcerated for x period of time, as others would, then so be it.

And, for the sake of conversation, who should be held accountable should she violate those terms again, i.e., fail drug/ETOH test and hurt someone while being behind the wheel....then what....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime