U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 PM

22,276 posts, read 28,585,958 times

Advertisements

Ten year old Zahra Clare Baker had a lot to deal with in life. Raveged by bone cancer she was left hearing impared - she wore two hearing aids , and lost part of her leg to cancer. She wore a prosthetic leg.

People knew she was being mistreated and abused, People who knew the "family" say that she was often locked in her room for days, beaten and severely punished for minor "infractions."

Once at a funraiser to provide the little girl with the hearing aids, a friend noticed that the step mother's hand was bruised and swollen. She said she incurred the injury while spanking little Zahara - she missed and hit her prosthetic leg! This would be enough for me to call CPS!

The little girl was missing for over a month but no one really noticed because Zahara was so often locked away!

This loser was arrested for writing bad checks, driving without a license and criminal harrasment.
Besides apparent child abuse Elisa Baker had other hobbies. Pathological lying and extreen hypochondta.
She told people that she was diagnosed with mysterious mortal illness and never died, Also that she was a song writer.
Right.

Cadaver searching dogs found evidence of the smell of human remains in the cars of both the stepmother and biologival father,
The family lived a strange and transient existance moving often. They were estranged from many extended family members.

It is believed that a ransom note was written to the employer of Zahra's father demandin a million dollars - yet was not followd by a kidnapping.
Hmmm.

I don't know about you but this is one case that makes me furious!
The father seemed clueless and may be complicite. Eveery one in the area knew something was going on.
The ransom note, the beatings, the child's confinement to the home and her un reported maltreatment,

There are shades of JonBenet Ramsey and Sylvia Likens.

Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 07:50 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,981,698 times
I saw this on the news several days ago. What the heck is wrong with people...the poor child's neighbors and relatives knew there was a serious problem but did nothing? They are as complicit in her death (like you said) as the person who murdered her; they just helped murder her slowly. Very sad.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:10 AM

43,855 posts, read 48,053,184 times
This whole story is so awful until I think the child is probably better off in another life.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 AM

29,984 posts, read 40,908,956 times
Saw the interview of the father several days ago and he claimed nor even seeing his daughter for several days but assuming she was in her room. What kind of father doesn't even open a door to peek in and assure himself he daughter is there and ok? I think they both are liars and have played a role in her disappearance/death.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Exactly! What kubd of a father permuts ihus already maumed daughter to be further abused by this step monster??? AND doesn't even know she's gone misssing?

What ? Did she think she'd run away?
On a prosthetic leg?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:45 PM

10,629 posts, read 13,975,345 times
To be honest I can't follow stories like this it's just to upsetting. But I did catch a few minutes of something that involved a piece of plywood, an attic space and maybe some cardboard as a hiding place?

What about the little girls biological mother?

It has already been asked but what about the little girls aunts, uncles, grandparents and older cousins?

Old 10-18-2010, 04:59 PM

4,209 posts, read 14,716,344 times
Her mother has been out of the picture since shortly after she was born. Her other relatives, incl. a grandmother who raised her, live in Australia. She had a happy life in Au. and should have remained there but hindsight is 20/20. She moved here apprx 2 yrs ago when her father married her stepmother. She prob. was happy and excited at having a new life here...

The attic was apparently where she was stashed in one apt., on a piece of fiberglass, she couldnt have gotten there on her own as it was too high up, she also couldn't stand there as it wasn't very high.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:39 PM

More horror!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:39 PM

1,992 posts, read 2,567,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Her mother has been out of the picture since shortly after she was born. Her other relatives, incl. a grandmother who raised her, live in Australia. She had a happy life in Au. and should have remained there but hindsight is 20/20. She moved here apprx 2 yrs ago when her father married her stepmother. She prob. was happy and excited at having a new life here...

The attic was apparently where she was stashed in one apt., on a piece of fiberglass, she couldnt have gotten there on her own as it was too high up, she also couldn't stand there as it wasn't very high.
If she is somehow found alive, she should probably go back to her grandmother's in Australia. Too bad her father brought her so far away only to be abused by that witch.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 PM

939 posts, read 3,260,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Once at a funraiser to provide the little girl with the hearing aids, a friend noticed that the step mother's hand was bruised and swollen. She said she incurred the injury while spanking little Zahara - she missed and hit her prosthetic leg! This would be enough for me to call CPS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
I saw this on the news several days ago. What the heck is wrong with people...the poor child's neighbors and relatives knew there was a serious problem but did nothing? They are as complicit in her death (like you said) as the person who murdered her; they just helped murder her slowly. Very sad.
I once knew of a child in similar circumstances. I called CPS, they "investigated" but nothing really happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime