U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:12 PM

3,297 posts, read 5,834,322 times

Advertisements

Who Remembers the NJ/NYC Serial Killer Richard Cottingham?

I actually worked with Richard at Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield in Manhattan. He was a computer main frame console operator and I was a programmer. He was a quiet, nervous man, but he didn't give off any other signs.

He was a family man living in Lodi and no one expected him of what he was doing. Even his wife did not know what he was doing.

I once told a friend that I worked with Richard and recently he saw a television show about him.

You never really know a person...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 01:17 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,588,452 times
How come you never hear anyone say, "He was a crazy S.O.B. right from the get-go. I knew he was going to kill somebody someday?"

Freaky though that you worked with him though.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:00 PM

He gave off no signs. He had a bunch of buddies working in the computer room with him that he hungout with. They did not even know.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:00 PM

Here's a link about what he ended up doing. Serial Killer Richard Cottingham

He lived in Lodi with his family.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:07 AM

741 posts, read 3,340,480 times
I guess I'm too young to remember any of that. But, oohh, Gruesome. My boobs hurt right now after reading that.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:22 AM

12,284 posts, read 33,075,874 times
interesting. never heard of him, but i remember son of sam, which was around the same time.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:10 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,813,891 times
I don't recall the fellow either. Pretty sick, twisted individual. ProudCapMarine, you came out to share this information because....? But then again, we read the thread because...?

Regarese, there's probably someone who knew Manson who said that about him.
If I understand, these individuals live quite compartmentalized lives, there's nothing that leaks out from one domain to another. There is a rigidity of experience for them, which enables them to transition fully based on the requirements of the tasks at hand. They are usually moderately effective employees, and relate pleasantly enough with people in proscribed circumstances. These people are a lot like us in many ways, but most of us aren't killers like them, which sets them apart from us. So they blend in seamlessly. And, these are only the ones who are caught, there's much more we don't know about those who are still about. Interestingly, those who are caught usually are found by serendipity - Son of Sam due to parking tickets, a Long Island serial murderer due to a traffic stop, etc. This says nothing about detective work as it does about how un-noticeable they are.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 15,041 times
Hey proudcapmarine

I was on the Jury......after all these years I can finally talk about it (I was only 18 at the time, I was the youngest juror)

Old 08-19-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstrats View Post
Hey proudcapmarine

I was on the Jury......after all these years I can finally talk about it (I was only 18 at the time, I was the youngest juror)
Did they have many Blue Cross employees as witnesses?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 15,894 times
Default brother-in-law worked for BCBS also what's your name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Who Remembers the NJ/NYC Serial Killer Richard Cottingham?

I actually worked with Richard at Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield in Manhattan. He was a computer main frame console operator and I was a programmer. He was a quiet, nervous man, but he didn't give off any other signs.

He was a family man living in Lodi and no one expected him of what he was doing. Even his wife did not know what he was doing.

I once told a friend that I worked with Richard and recently he saw a television show about him.

You never really know a person...
My brother in law worked there also. What's your name as I might know you. I met Cottingham years ago when he was in National Guard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime