Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

How many murders remain unsolved? Answer: About one out of three.

Offenses Cleared - Crime in the United States 2009

The FBI reports that only about 2/3 of all KNOWN homicides (15,000 a year) are cleared by arrest. Note that 100% of all homicides that are NOT recognized as homicides remain unsolved, which could be any number, but very likely high. Apparent accidents, suicides, overdoses, natural causes, misadventures, simple disappearances, etc.

If one out of three obvious murders is never solved, and large numbers of those are spur of the moment and completely unplanned, we can conclude that a little bit of planning raises your chances to at least 50-50, even it you leave a scene that looks like a murder. A few days of more careful planning by a reasonable person who is not an obvious suspect raises your chances closer and closer to certainty that you will get away with it.

Several years ago, in a vanishingly rare case of investigative reporting, a San Francisco paper reported that of the 80 homicides being investigated by police so far that year, only about 5 or 10 had so far resulted in the arrest of a suspect. (I'm going from memory on those numbers.)

I would bet that if 100 city-data users got together and agreed that each of us would commit a murder within the next year, only one or two of us would get caught, and maybe none of us.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-04-2010 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 03:48 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I would bet that if 100 city-data users got together and agreed that each of us would commit a murder within the next year, only one or two of us would get caught, and maybe none of us.
Are you suggesting a few of us get together and agree on a list???

Old 12-04-2010, 05:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Are you suggesting a few of us get together and agree on a list???
Did it look like that?

Old 12-04-2010, 08:48 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
I think a majority of murders that go unsolved are street crimes, where no one talks or cooperates with police. The average law abiding citizen is too stupid to get away with a murder of passion. Random hit on the street is much easier, but the real challenge is clipping someone you know.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
I gleaned from my true crime readings that when a spouse is killed, historically, there's a 75-80% chance the spouse was involved. Yikes! You come home some night, your spouse is found in a pool of blood, 10 police officers show up, and 8 have Guilty stamped on their foreheads. And what if you were completely innocent? What a nightmare! It takes nothing short of an Einstein to get away with killing a spouse.

In jurisdictions, where there's been a wave of murders, the rate of solving murders drops, as one would expect. Or in very small rural towns where there's a shortage of good homicide detectives.

Solving cases is also dependent on the nagging and determination of family members, as I've also gleaned from my true crime readings. An hysterical, steely-determined family member pesters and pesters the investigators, day in/day out, until they reach the state of madness, also helps. Many merely become apathetic to the relief of the police investigators.

If my brother ever dies (worth far more dead than alive), even if it be crossing a street and hit by a car, I'll call those investigators a half-dozen times a day, 7 days a week, until she's arrested!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:59 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I think a majority of murders that go unsolved are street crimes, where no one talks or cooperates with police. The average law abiding citizen is too stupid to get away with a murder of passion. Random hit on the street is much easier, but the real challenge is clipping someone you know.
I think a lot of people get away with murdering children too, considering how many are missing and never found.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:09 PM

And there are any number of people who push people to the point of suicide.
Homicide investigators, where art thou?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:56 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I think a lot of people get away with murdering children too, considering how many are missing and never found.
You're right. Children are such easy targets and it doesn't surprise me. I can't tell you how many really small kids (ages 4 - 8) I see out roaming the streets or playing about unattended. I'm baffled by some of these parents out there who let their children wander or walk the streets by themselves.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Most people can't keep their mouths shut. A lot of crimes are solved because somebody just can't do the deed and not tell somebody. Most of the crimes I've prosecuted involve somebody telling other people what they did, and of course, they tell two friends, and they tell two friends...!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:57 PM

If I were going to commit a crime, I wouldn't even whisper it to my pet or my mother.

The Lone Wolves are the smartest of the smart, the ones that never give the FBI, CIA or the homicide detectives a good night's sleep, they operate outside their radar screens. Not unusual, being loners, they have no friends to blab it to, and are distanced from their families as well.

But if you look closely, you may spot them in a crowd, with those enigmatic smiles forever plastered to their faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime