Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times

Advertisements

A high school classmate, brilliant girl, went to college and became a scientist. I think she was some sort of medical doctor, but she worked in a lab vs. hospital. She was found dead in her bed under very mysterious circumstances. No signs of entry, forced or otherwise, but it appeared that someone had killed her, tucked her into her bed, tipped over a plant and left. As far as I'm aware, they never did discover cause of death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,509,633 times
Friend of mine died in a fight. Head hit the concrete. Very sad. Left his twin brother all alone.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 PM

278 posts, read 992,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
In what context are you talking? Legally or ethically?

I see self-defense as different than what is generally considered murder.

...and to stay on topic, yes on both counts. Tragic all the way around for any one involved.
By definition. Many departments still count self-defense and justified killings as homocides in their yearly statistics. Murder is basically one person killing another person. Some dictionaries will throw the "unlawful" term in there.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:49 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
By definition. Many departments still count self-defense and justified killings as homocides in their yearly statistics. Murder is basically one person killing another person. Some dictionaries will throw the "unlawful" term in there.
Thanks, gotcha. Talkin' statistics, now I understand.

Like they say, there's lies, damned lies and statistics...

Old 01-05-2011, 01:51 PM

661 posts, read 1,250,829 times
I had an uncle, 1971 I think it was, he had left his wife and 3 kids and a successful business a couple of years before for a "Honey" who was about 20 years younger. When she tried to end it with him he got out his 12 gauge. Two shots for her, just one for him.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
My grandfather was killed in a bar brawl. Not too shocking unfortunately. That was the lifestyle he lived and it was the lifestyle that killed him.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
No, not by definition. Homicide and murder are not interchangeable. All murders are homicides, but not all homicides are murders.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
Anyone remember the Mansons killings of Sharon Tate and the LaBiancas? I spoke with Mr LaBianca on Tues AM at his store office and he was killed on Thurs PM.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:47 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Yes, I had a friend who was murdered when I was 13 and she was 15. Some thought she was a victim of the Green River murderer but the M.O. seems wrong. She was pregnant and she and her boyfriend decided to fly to Washington to see her grandmother. They also took her dog with them. They only had enough money to fly as far as Sacramento, so from there they hitchhiked. They were all found dead and mutilated in the woods near Klamath Falls, Oregon. Even the dog was tortured and mutilated and my friend's unborn baby had been cut out of her. As far as I know this was never solved. It happened in 1976.

Another person I knew who was murdered was my daughter's first "boyfriend" when she was 13 years old, and he was a regular and much loved visitor to our home. Eric Starr Smith was murdered by his own father, who was under the influence of meth at the time. Eric's younger brother Larry was in the back of the van while this occured. They were driving down the highway in New Mexico when Eric's dad attacked him, stabbing him over 60 times, and then pulling over to the side of the road where he decapitated Eric and then threw his head out of the window while driving. It was one of the most horrific things we've ever had to suffer through, including having the local press camped out in our front yard.
OMG ! How horrible and that poor boy ! What a tragedy. I'll bet those children endured much more than you may have ever known about. I am so sorry.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
My exhusband was murdered by a jealous husband/boyfriend (I never knew how it was) in the early 1970's. I was about 30 yrs old and until that time, had not been acquainted with violent death. It took about a year to get over it and I don't think my children ever really did. The murderer got 20 years, because it was a crime of Passion, I guess and, died in prison of cirrohis(?) of the liver. The murderer admitted he had been stalking my ex and had plotted all that day of drinking of how he was going to kill him......he did, with a double barrelled shotgun. My ex didn't deserve that. The ex wife/girlfriend reconciled with him before he died in prison....go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime