Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2024, 07:31 PM

12 posts, read 6,783 times

Advertisements

Hello All:

I just finished reading Midnight after having visited the beautiful city of Savannah in January. So my question is why did the police and prosecutor think Jim Williams planned to kill Danny Handsford (premeditated?) Williams, of course, said it was self defense. What I can't seem to figure out is if it was premeditated murder, what was the motive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 09:00 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapple3 View Post
Hello All:

I just finished reading Midnight after having visited the beautiful city of Savannah in January. So my question is why did the police and prosecutor think Jim Williams planned to kill Danny Handsford (premeditated?) Williams, of course, said it was self defense. What I can't seem to figure out is if it was premeditated murder, what was the motive?
I don't think it was premeditated. If it was, maybe a motive was to shut him up about something? Not sure what it could have been, though. Danny did drugs, so Jim might have felt threatened, as he said, if he was really high and out of his mind. The only two people who really know are dead.

Great book. Movie was OK, but they took some liberties with it, as Hollywood always does. The weirdest was giving the author a girlfriend, when it was quite obvious ithat he is a gay man. Maybe in the 1990s they made that decision because being gay still wasn't quite the big yawn it is now

I worked with a woman in NYC who came from Savannah. She knew some of the people and said the book was a pretty accurate depiction of her city.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:21 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I loved that book, had to continually remind myself that it wasn't fiction. Even a very much reading averse long time friend of mine read it on my suggestion and admitted he liked it. Might have to reread it, I forgot some of the subplots it contains. Definitely a town I need to visit at least once.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:55 PM

12 posts, read 6,783 times
I have to say, Savannah is probably the most beautiful town I have ever visited (including Woodstock, Vermont.) I should have read Midnight before I visited Savannah. Oh well. I did visit Bonaventure Cemetery and historic home.

Old 04-02-2024, 04:54 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
It's funny but I remember reading the book years ago shortly after it came out. I was enthralled with it. I even went to Savannah and toured the Mercer House. I loved the book but now, so many years later, I can't remember much. Ijust remember being swept up into the book. I never did see the movie.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:09 AM

50,331 posts, read 63,906,560 times
It’s been awhile since I read the book or saw the movie. I wish I had gone to Club One before Chablis died. Anyway, I don’t think the killing was premeditated. Weren’t there several retrials? If the murder wasn’t in self defense, it probably would have been a slam dunk conviction.

Not sure if anyone directly involved is still alive now, and what they would say about it in light of modern mores. The “bachelors” are all out of the closet in abundance now, so there’s not a likelihood of the threat of exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime