U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 PM

22,292 posts, read 28,636,815 times

Advertisements

The very BEST thing that could happen in this case would be if BOTH were charged with first degree murder and received life with out parole. But I think that they may cut a deal with Adam Baker to turn states evidence against his wife - or what ever she was.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 06:28 AM

1,997 posts, read 2,573,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The very BEST thing that could happen in this case would be if BOTH were charged with first degree murder and received life with out parole. But I think that they may cut a deal with Adam Baker to turn states evidence against his wife - or what ever she was.
I wouldn't be surprised, they may have to do this to get all the details still unknown.

As other posts have told, Hickory is a town without a lot of past experience in gruesome crimes. A mid size city of about 50,000, furniture & textile town. Textiles are nearly gone, a few furniture places still going. Basically a moderately prosperous town, hurting in recent years. Overall, socially stable for the most part. Crime has been more "run of the mill" stuff. My father grew up there, my sister has lived there for 30 years or so. I think this is the 1st extreme in gruesome, horrific crime officials there have seen. I'm sure they are working more slowly than authorities in larger cities would be. I'm sad that this event is what "put Hickory on the map".

Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 PM

332 posts, read 456,572 times
Zahra Baker lived with her father and father's family in a tiny town called Giru in Queensland. The closest major town would be Townsville, I have family there. Zahra was born in Wagga, a town in New South Wales. I have added a link to an article in the Townsville Bulletin, which gives a little more infromation as far as the local view of this situation. The comments from Australians would be reflective of the general opinion. Hope the link works.

Zahra's disappearance shocks family | Townsville Bulletin News

Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the like aussiegold.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 PM

Do you have anything more up to date from Down Under? I think it was totally irresponsible to move a medically fragile child so far from not only her support system but from a good health care system (from what I understand it is free) and from doctors already familiar with her case!
I wish her grandmother Karen had protested and let Adam fly off to North Carolina with the wicked witch. Sounds like she was well loved in her home land.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Do you have anything more up to date from Down Under? I think it was totally irresponsible to move a medically fragile child so far from not only her support system but from a good health care system (from what I understand it is free) and from doctors already familiar with her case!
I wish her grandmother Karen had protested and let Adam fly off to North Carolina with the wicked witch. Sounds like she was well loved in her home land.
She may have fought him, I wouldn't be surprised. I think I read too, that he didn't stay in touch with her very often, not sure on that. Would be easy for that witch to start harassing him about calling home, if he wanted to.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 PM

I am sure that he might have made an initial attempt to stay in touch. And I am equally sure that Evil Elisa would have done her best to thwart those attempts.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegold View Post
Zahra Baker lived with her father and father's family in a tiny town called Giru in Queensland. The closest major town would be Townsville, I have family there. Zahra was born in Wagga, a town in New South Wales. I have added a link to an article in the Townsville Bulletin, which gives a little more infromation as far as the local view of this situation. The comments from Australians would be reflective of the general opinion. Hope the link works.

Zahra's disappearance shocks family | Townsville Bulletin News
Thanks for posting that, Aussiegold. Reading that enforces my thought that he should have never moved the child here. She needed her family & friends & the medical people already working with her.

I'll read up on Queensland & New South Wales. I like to read up on nations when they are in the news in any way, but I'm sure sorry this is the precipitating event.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:29 PM

27,078 posts, read 9,519,640 times
Default **The Zahra Project**

Zahra's fate was sealed when her father and Baker met.....for those of us in NC, and all over the US, this story is devastating. One women in NC has started a non-profit called THE ZAHRA PROJECT, in hopes of holding Dept Social Services more accountable and also **changing laws** that punish child abusers with very lengthy prison terms. The bill she has drafted, with attorney aid, will be presented in June 2011.

THE ZAHRA PROJECT has a website by that name and is also on Facebook. In addition, a link on both of those will send you to a site that sells THE ZAHRA PROJECT items for cost ie hats, sweatshirts, caps etc. You can also view the Zahra bill draft on those sites as well.

CHILD ABUSE IS HORRENDOUS~BUT YOU CAN HELP! SUPPORT THE ZAHRA PROJECT BILL IN MEMORY OF ZAHRA AND HELP STOP THESE TRAGEDIES!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 02:42 AM

332 posts, read 456,572 times
I have added another link to a recent article in The Daily Telegraph from here in Sydney. If you go to the Telegraph's home page, then you can do a search at the top of the page. If you type in anything referencing the story, then you should get a list of articles from numerous Australian papers. I don't really know what has been published over in the States, so whether or not there is any new info to discover, I'm not sure. Karen Baker seemed upset during the interview with 60 Minutes which I can understand, but it also made me wonder about a mother's ability to turn a blind eye to her son's potential involvement. Who knows? Just as men can be manipulated by hags, so I have seen before how mothers can be blind to their children. That's not to say that I don't have any sympathy for Karen Baker, but most here still have a lot of questions about Adam- and Zahra's biological mother for that matter. She gave up custody of Zahra whilst suffering from post natal depression, and then apparently tried to find her years later. Surprised that it really would have been that difficult if she was really determined, but I am no expert on that matter.

Stepmother of Zahra Baker indicted on second degree murder charge | The Daily Telegraph

Thank you for that, greatblueheron, sounds great. I hope word spreads quickly and another tragedy like this can be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime