Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 04:49 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times

Advertisements

As an agnostic who was brought up in a fundamentalist Baptist church, I would certainly suggest that there are a lot of reasons to be wary of Christian fundamentalists. But those reasons relate primarily to the political and social agendas being pursued by these individuals.

My guess would be that Christian fundamentalists engage in a disproportionately low amount of violent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I've heard that Nation Of Islam is also very active in prisons with their proselytizing activities.
Yeah, so are the Hispanic drug gangs and white power creeps. Prisons seem certainly not to be places where an individual can get rehabilitated, but some do manage to keep clean and actually get an education there.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I disagree. I find that there is a justifiable disgust with fundamentalist religions of any ilk. Gays harm no one. They don't want to pass legislation to interfere in my life in any way. They are born gay. Religious zealots of any ilk usually want to change laws that affect my lifestyle. I would be a dolt not to resent that.
....and so you join in trying to portray them as violent aberrant psychos?

Hey, I'm pro-gay as well and quite frankly disagree with fundamentalists on a wide range of topics. However, I draw the line at trying to portray people whom I disagree with using hateful stereotypes and unsupported allegations.

These are the same tactics that are used by racists, anti-gay, anti-jew, anti-muslim etc. groups and quite frankly it makes my skin crawl a bit.

P.S. The EXTREME fundies are the best thing to happen to the gay rights movement in the last 20 years. A loud mouth making crazy unsupported statements about a group is a great way to actually generate sympathy and tolerance for the group in question. Makes you want to re-read this thread.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:09 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Disporportionate amount of horrible crimes seem to be commited by Fundamentalist Christians. Anyone notice this?

No. But if that's your mindset, that's what will jump out at you and stick in your brain.

You're probably also confusing reality with those who claim to be or become born again once caught and/or convicted.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I am currently reading a book, "Under The Banner of Heaven", about the crimes of polygamists, and connection to Latter Day Saint church. Including why Elizabeth Smart was so easily manipulated by her abductor. Because of her religious beliefs. Really interesting book.

Those polygamist folks are really extreme!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Disporportionate amount of horrible crimes seem to be commited by Fundamentalist Christians. Anyone notice this?

No. But if that's your mindset, that's what will jump out at you and stick in your brain.

You're probably also confusing reality with those who claim to be or become born again once caught and/or convicted.
There are, I believe, unscrupulous people who use religion and the people who are devout to their own purposes, although the leadership, like the leadership of the Muslim terrorists, don't really believe in the religion. Groups like Aryan Nation. Christian Identity groups. Even some of our political aspirants will cater to radical and backwards thinking just to get power.

Crimes against the environment, gays, women, a person can see in each of these issues religious pressure groups, which is why religion should not be dictating public policy.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am currently reading a book, "Under The Banner of Heaven", about the crimes of polygamists, and connection to Latter Day Saint church. Including why Elizabeth Smart was so easily manipulated by her abductor. Because of her religious beliefs. Really interesting book.

Those polygamist folks are really extreme!
I, too, read that book and thought it had a lot of insights.

And now we know that Warren Jeffs is a pedophile. I really don't believe many religious extremist leaders are believers. People who follow them must have a certain disposition to put their heads in the sand and not want to admit the truth.

Religion has often been used as an excuse to harm others, look at the Muslim terrorists, look at us during the Crusades.

I read a few books and believe that one brought to light the questionable beginnings of Mormonism and the hypocrisy of its founders.

Last edited by goldengrain; 11-03-2012 at 08:55 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 08:35 PM

657 posts, read 716,980 times
people are horrible --- may god have mercy on our souls

Old 11-03-2012, 09:22 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I read a few books and believe that one brought to light the questionable beginnings of Mormonism and the hypocrisy of its founders.
Yeah, and consider Christianity ant it's beginnings! It's founder actually claimed to be God! Oh, the heresy!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 PM

484 posts, read 854,807 times
This is why i stay away from all religions ....... they all have a bad history of evil ......... and than they tell my how i should live my life. I respect myself and others i don't need to be religious to be a good person. Religion does not make you but it looks like in many cases it can break you down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime