U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:44 PM

22,591 posts, read 29,179,540 times

Advertisements

Last year I posted an observation on this forum that a large amount of serial murderess, serial rapists, and other violent criminals seem to be from or associated with, the Pacific North West. This was an observation,that was followed by a lively discussion as to why this seems to be true.
In writing this, I meant no offense to the majority of Pacific North Westerners who are law abiding people.

Tonight my husband went to the supermarket and surprised me with a new true crime book. - "A Twisted Faith". by Gregg Olson. I have not read the book yet but it looks good.
For those unfamiliar with the case as I was, it does take place in the state of Washington. The case involves a youth Pastor who not only commits adultery, but murders his wife by setting a house fire.

That's when I made another observation. Has anyone else noticed that an inordinate amount of brutal crimes are commuted by people who are fundamentalist Christians or who were raised in fundamentalist Christian homes?

This Pastor, Nick Hasheney was a fundamentalist Christian.
I can think of many others.

Here are but a few - Gertrude Baniszewski - brutally tortured 16 year old Sylvia Likens to death in Indiana in 1965 - Fundamentalist Baptist

Diane Downes - murdered her daughter Cheryl, and maimed her son Danny and daughter Christie by shooting in 1981 - Southern Baptist

Jeffrey Dahmer - murdered and cannibalized numerous men in the 1990s Cammpbelite Church of Christ.

There are others but there names are escaping me. Can think of the incident, but not the name or denomination.

Question - has anyone else noticed this? Any theories?
I am not saying that" all fundamentalists are murderers" and I know that most are law abiding citizens. Would enjoy hearing your thoughts. I will come up with other instances of this, as I seem to remember that there are quite a few others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 10:30 PM

As promised, here are a few other examples:
Kevin and Elizabeth Shatz beat their 7 year old daughter and her sister, both adopted from Africa for mis-pronouncing a word while being home schooled. The girls were adopted from Africa. The eleven year old survived 2010 Paradise California - The Shatz family were adherents of Michael Pearl, who advocates beating children with plastic plumbing lines.

Dr Robert Reza, shot wife to death in 1991 while having an afair with the Church organist. The couple were members of the conservative and fundamentalist New Life Church in Long Island NY

Anthony Hopkins Killed his wife and stuffed her in the freezer.Also sexually molested his daughter.
Hopkins was a Pastor in the Church of God in Christ, Alabama.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:52 AM

69,343 posts, read 52,156,915 times
Let's start with what you got right....
1) Some of the examples do indeed involve fundamentalists.

Moving on to what you got wrong....
1) At least 2 examples are questionable as to being fundamentalist but for arguments sake lets say you listed 100 examples.
2) You make no reference to the subject population and give examples spanning over 45 years. If there are 10mil fundies in the US now and an annual average over 45 years of 5 million, just in this example you would have 100 / 5mil x 45 = 1 in 2.25million annually where the US murder rate is probably 1000x higher.

These cases are salacious because they involve the church etc. or odd practices so certainly they make the news.

I'm not sure where you are going with this but this is pretty much the exact same type of analysis I've seen some Storm Fronters use around here to try to prove blacks, hispanics, jews etc are bad in some way. When a thesis is this weak I'm hard pressed to give a benefit of the doubt as to intent.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 AM

12,408 posts, read 18,175,510 times
The media does not usually give the religious persuasion of other violent criminals, like Catholics and mainstream Protestants. It also does not offer the info on how many atheists commit such crimes.

On the other hand, I suspect that repressive religions are attractive to nut cases. I think extremists within any faith - Muslim, Christian, New Age, Mormon - are more likely to harbor those who are willing to take extreme actions regarding their beliefs. People who break with the 'norm' in one area of life (religion) are probably also prone to break with others. They have parted ways a long time ago with being censured in their beliefs by the social norms by which most of society governs itself.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 AM

8,862 posts, read 16,401,199 times
I don't notice the fundamentalists in my area committing more crimes.

Somewhat opinionated at times--which might be considered a crime against my serenity--but since my family would be considered Fundamentalists--I have learned to let them say what they want to say. A few Tums after holiday meals--and I am fine.

A fond memory--Once at a holiday meal I spoke up----the silence was deafening and that is something we rehash from time to time. 'You are out of your mind'---can't remember a time when someone didn't say that to me.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:11 PM

My post, and the information contained there in, was observational and anecdotal. The media generally does not report the religious affiliation of a perpetrator, unless the person is a member of the clergy.

Members of fundamentalist sects are over represented in murders that are especially brutal and egregious in nature.

Fundamentalists are not in the majority nor are they in the mainstream of American society. It is interesting to me that so many Christian religious extremists are involved in violent murders.

Does the Klan ring a bell? Many members of this outlaw terrorist gang are and were fundamentalist Christians.

Yes my cases were longitudinal in nature. This proves the persistence of aberrant behavior within this subculture. There are so many other cases of this nature involving people with this set of religious beliefs - I named only a few. Ranging from a single mother who was a postal worker, to a wealthy physician from Blue Point NY.

I have never heard of the group referenced by Mathguy. I am suer that they are equally repugnant.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:35 PM

11,525 posts, read 13,614,472 times
I think that whatever you repress becomes stronger. So, when you have extreme religious indoctrination of whatever it might be, they are teaching their members to repress, deny and ignore the parts of themselves that are more human, but scary--greed, lust, anger, shame,rage, all of that. When you repress stuff long enough, it becomes stronger in your psyche (I think Jung talked about this). Then, it becomes volatile when it does come out and people act it out.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Let's start with what you got right....
1) Some of the examples do indeed involve fundamentalists.

Moving on to what you got wrong....
1) At least 2 examples are questionable as to being fundamentalist but for arguments sake lets say you listed 100 examples.
2) You make no reference to the subject population and give examples spanning over 45 years. If there are 10mil fundies in the US now and an annual average over 45 years of 5 million, just in this example you would have 100 / 5mil x 45 = 1 in 2.25million annually where the US murder rate is probably 1000x higher.

These cases are salacious because they involve the church etc. or odd practices so certainly they make the news.

I'm not sure where you are going with this but this is pretty much the exact same type of analysis I've seen some Storm Fronters use around here to try to prove blacks, hispanics, jews etc are bad in some way. When a thesis is this weak I'm hard pressed to give a benefit of the doubt as to intent.
You keep track of Storm Fronters? Interesting. How do you do that?

I have no idea about a single board that a single poster peruses outside of C-D. Apparently we have different "resources".

However, I do have a list of shills. An internet Thought Cop....what an interesting job. The Stasi would be envious.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:42 PM

48,503 posts, read 92,713,330 times
No; but I definitely believe criminals committ most crimes.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 AM

69,343 posts, read 52,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
You keep track of Storm Fronters? Interesting. How do you do that?

I have no idea about a single board that a single poster peruses outside of C-D. Apparently we have different "resources".

However, I do have a list of shills. An internet Thought Cop....what an interesting job. The Stasi would be envious.
There have been comments in threads that are deeply racist citing bunk statistics about various ethnic groups and including links to stormfront articles.

I guess if I always rant about Bush or Obama and make links to far right or left websites you'd be equally flumoxed about which political party I support?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime