Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 07:47 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times

Advertisements

In a decision certain to start new debate about a notorious, old crime, a divided state Supreme Court abruptly reversed itself Friday, overturning Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel's conviction for the murder of his friend Martha Moxley a half century ago, when the two were 15-year-old neighbors in an exclusive Greenwich, Conn., community.

Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel wins at Connecticut Supreme Court, conviction vacated in 1975 slaying of Martha Moxley

Old 05-05-2018, 07:39 PM

109 posts, read 66,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
In a decision certain to start new debate about a notorious, old crime, a divided state Supreme Court abruptly reversed itself Friday, overturning Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel's conviction for the murder of his friend Martha Moxley a half century ago, when the two were 15-year-old neighbors in an exclusive Greenwich, Conn., community.

Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel wins at Connecticut Supreme Court, conviction vacated in 1975 slaying of Martha Moxley
Thanks for the link, CA. I think Sherman's work on this case was absolutely dreadful, for a number of reasons. As someone mentioned earlier, the most egregious mistake was not pursuing the obvious defense and pointing the finger at Tommy. Common sense would dictate that Sherman track down everyone who was known to be in the Dowdle house that night and take statements from all of them. He should've recognized from the GJ testimony that Georgeann was there with someone else. Sherman never talked to Ossorio, who would have been much more valuable as a "disinterested" witness with no connection to the family. He should have, but he didn't.

That being said, according to the article, Sherman swore in the appeal hearing that others in the house never mentioned Ossorio being there, despite being asked multiple times about other potential witnesses. Second, if Ossorio actually saw/talked to Skakel that night and could provide an alibi for him, why didn't he come forward at the time of trial? I'm assuming he made no attempt to contact Sherman. Why did we only hear about Ossorio so many years later? It's hard for me to agree that Sherman's counsel was ineffective based on this issue alone.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:00 AM

6 posts, read 5,216 times
I don't think there's a family gene. I believe we choose what and who we encounter in life and that nothing should shock us ever. We choose what we want to go through and what we think will advance humanity by our actions. And, we choose who surrounds us in this life to help everyone be better.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehawk31 View Post
I don't think there's a family gene. I believe we choose what and who we encounter in life and that nothing should shock us ever.
Agreed. Read about the Skakel family (Michael's aunt, Ethel Skakel, is Bobby Kennedy's widow). These were entitled children who were brought up to deflect blame and take no consequences for their behavior. No surprise that Michael Skakel and his brother are less than honest and made poor choices in their lives.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
I was never sure if he did it.

Old 04-20-2020, 04:06 PM

I was wondering what happened with this case. Hard to believe that Skakel is out. Apparently this crime is considered unsolved.

Is Michael Skakel Still In Prison? Martha Moxley's Murder Case Is Still Unsolved:
https://www.bustle.com/p/is-michael-...olved-18002917

Old 05-06-2020, 02:54 PM

23 posts, read 31,244 times
Was Michael's semen found at the scene? The story about masturbating in a tree was quite a bizarre addition to his story.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,379 times
I was just thinking about this the other day.
And now to me, it's so obvious he did it. The murder weapon is from his house. The only other person is his brother who is super quiet about it all. Michael has always had issues. A big, hormonal teenage boy with issues was jealous and got mad at her. He says he masturbated in a tree. What a stupid thing to say...unless you need a story to cover up why your DNA might be present.
Years later, for me now, so obvious.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:31 PM

21,915 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Just when I think they have nothing more to say on this, they put on another update. I guess now they are reading her diary. It's clear that ONE of those Skakel boys did it. I would say you could get reasonable doubt because both of them seem to be possible suspects. I would have said Michael is the more likely one because he wrote the book proposal.

Does anyone think Michael would have gotten two cracks at overturning his conviction had he not been a Kennedy?

Old 07-03-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Just when I think they have nothing more to say on this, they put on another update.
Thanks for that information.

Martha Moxley murder: Case timeline:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/martha-...rder-timeline/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime