Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:46 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,876 times

Advertisements

Hadn't seen this story on the boards, was kind of surprised, nto sure if it got national attention but this is a very sad truly sickening story.

Christian Choate (14?) tortured to death by his father Riley Choate and stepmother Kimberly Kubina

Hopefully everyone he's in prison with knows what he did and they subject him to the same type of treatment he subjected his son to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
One can only hope.

As someone who has never had children but who aches daily to have them, I cannot understand what would possess a parent not only to not treasure his child but to abuse, torture and kill him. Why are people like this having children?!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:19 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
The majority will disagree with me, but when I read, long ago, about the police being permitted to make one annual inspection of one's home in Japan, I thought

It gnaws at my mind, continually, of those being imprisoned, tortured, abused needlessly in homes all across this country everyday.

One annual surprise inspection, not knowing when they're going to show up, wouldn't this be worth it? And who knows, some years ago, it could have been you, praying everyday for the police to do their annual inspection, and save your life!

Coming to mind immediately, is reading about that horrendous story of the girl in the box.

Last edited by tijlover; 05-26-2011 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The majority will disagree with me, but when I read, long ago, about the police being permitted to make one annual inspection of one's home in Japan, I thought

It gnaws at my mind, continually, of those being imprisoned, tortured, abused needlessly in homes all across this country everyday.

One annual surprise inspection, not knowing when they're going to show up, wouldn't this be worth it? And who knows, some years ago, it could have been you, praying everyday for the police to do their annual inspection, and save your life!

Coming to mind immediately, is reading about that horrendous story of the girl in the box.
I don't agree with police inspections. It's a tough question because part of me wants to say anything that would stop stories like this from happening let's do it but annual police inspections goes against everything this country is based upon.

I think a more appropriate answer to this type of thing is people speaking up when they see questionable things going on and not being afraid of repurcussions whether it be the person being mad, being sued, etc.

As a society we can't stand for this type of thing. the women in the story actually went over to the house and saw teh kid chained up to a bed and called child protective services twice, they did nothing. If you see something like this you have a duty to not rest until you know the situation has been remedied. If the authoriteies won't act on it you personally need to act on it.

In addition to this women seeing this nobody at his school noticed him comming to school bruised and beaten? His sister didn't report any of this. His grandma visited and didn't notice a boy in a cage covered by a blanket? Neighbors didn't notice the boy had disappeared?

Nobody wants to get involved, people figure someone else will do what needs to be done so they don't need to.

That is waht needs to be done not annual inspections by police. DCFS is a joke, that is waht needs to be improved. If you know something sketchy is going on and involves kids you need to do something and not rely on a joke of an agency to do nothing about it. DCFS is so afraid of getting sued they protect abusive parents over helpless kids.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 PM

Here's an article from Chicago Tribune. Not sure why I linked to some wierd blog this is all over Chicago media.

"We failed him," former child services supervisor says of caged boy's death - chicagotribune.com

Old 05-27-2011, 03:02 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
I have to believe there is a special place in Hell for people like this. Surely, some kind of Universal Justice must exist.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I suppose, sadly enough, these stories don't really rate national attention, because it occurs all the time. I am currently watching a similar crime in my own town, about a little girl who was adopted, and tortured to death by her adoptive parents. There were numerous complaints to DCFS, which did nothing about it...even when a report was made that the girl was tied up...a DCFS worker went to the home, the "Mother" said, "oh, the little girl is fine, she is not here now"...Oh, OKAY! The "Mother" states the girl is fine...my work is done. Whatever....Thank goodness that worker was fired...but she is appealing her termination...

And same as the above case, PEOPLE saw this little girl being abused, and tied up, and did not report it...it took a child to report this to a counselor at school, who followed up on it....a child....not an adult...adults KNEW what was happening...and did nothing...
DCF: Two fired, five reprimanded after Nubia's death in the Barahona abuse case - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/14/2114851/dcf-two-fired-three-reprimanded.html - broken link)

Old 05-27-2011, 06:13 PM

73 posts, read 113,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
I don't agree with police inspections. It's a tough question because part of me wants to say anything that would stop stories like this from happening let's do it but annual police inspections goes against everything this country is based upon.
And what exactly is this 'country based upon'? Being able to have kids and beat them and lock them in a cage??? Is that one of the amendments that I don't know about?

It's pretty obvious MANY people in this country are not fit to have kids, yet they keep having them! So why not have someone come in by surprise and see if you're taking care of your kids or locking them in a cage and beating them? I would not be against that. You can come to my house any day of the week, any time of the day and my kids are being treated the way they should be, with love and affection. Unless you have something to hide, you should have no problem with an inspection.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:16 PM

73 posts, read 113,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I suppose, sadly enough, these stories don't really rate national attention, because it occurs all the time. I am currently watching a similar crime in my own town, about a little girl who was adopted, and tortured to death by her adoptive parents. There were numerous complaints to DCFS, which did nothing about it...even when a report was made that the girl was tied up...a DCFS worker went to the home, the "Mother" said, "oh, the little girl is fine, she is not here now"...Oh, OKAY! The "Mother" states the girl is fine...my work is done. Whatever....Thank goodness that worker was fired...but she is appealing her termination...

And same as the above case, PEOPLE saw this little girl being abused, and tied up, and did not report it...it took a child to report this to a counselor at school, who followed up on it....a child....not an adult...adults KNEW what was happening...and did nothing...
DCF: Two fired, five reprimanded after Nubia's death in the Barahona abuse case - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/14/2114851/dcf-two-fired-three-reprimanded.html - broken link)
I have been following this story. It is sad beyond words. This is why there should be some kind of 'inspection'. There are people who are evil beyond our comprehension. They think they can intimated children and get away with anything. It's just a tragedy that nothing is done to prevent things like this from happening. The current system is a joke.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLandLarry View Post
And what exactly is this 'country based upon'? Being able to have kids and beat them and lock them in a cage??? Is that one of the amendments that I don't know about?

It's pretty obvious MANY people in this country are not fit to have kids, yet they keep having them! So why not have someone come in by surprise and see if you're taking care of your kids or locking them in a cage and beating them? I would not be against that. You can come to my house any day of the week, any time of the day and my kids are being treated the way they should be, with love and affection. Unless you have something to hide, you should have no problem with an inspection.
Check your reading comprehension. Nowhere did I say this country is baed on being able to abuse your kids.

In the case of a DCFS compalint I'm all for them having 100% access to the house, come in inspect the kid, living conditions, etc.

HOwever the person who suggested police searches was making a reference to Japan where they claimed the Japanese police once a year do a surprise inspection on EVERY home.

Do you want police comming and searching your home once a year just because 1% of the population are extremely evil?

I was saying this country is based on freedom, privacy assumign your not doing anything wrong, etc.

There were two complaints about this parent and nothing was done. Before we go searching 100% of us homes for no reason lets actually do some follow up and follow up on those who actually have compalints about child abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime