Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 03:41 PM

288 posts, read 168,019 times

Advertisements

I was impressed with Baez's closing. IMO, it was good. Held my interest. Hopefully the jurors are taking their duties very seriously and have paid attention throughout this trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Baez should have had that jury weeping so loudly you could hear them in Quebec. My God! The injustice! Let this poor, grieving woman return to her home and the bosom of her family.

F.
I think you missed his point. Reasonable doubt. Hopefully the jury is not so biased that they couldn't listen to both sides and intelligently analyze the evidence and LACK of evidence.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Baez gets an "F" for today. He did his typical stall defense, several times today. At least Cheney is trying to clean up the mess now. The closing arguments of the defense have not swayed me at all.

1. Caylee is dead.
2. Casey is a pathological liar.
3. Casey wanted to party.

That pretty much sums it up. No doubt about her guilt to me. Even after defense closing arguments.
1) someone is dead 2)someone in their family/life is a pathological liar 3) that person wanted to party after someone's death = guilty of murder?

The state, along with the media, did an excellent job of making people hate Casey Anthony. So of course she's guilty because she's a person who is easy to hate.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:09 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgain View Post
Interesting that even the "experts" on TV are saying that Baez is doing a very good job in closing this afternoon.

Would that the state had just been sitting there with no facial expressions. Unfortunately, Jeff Ashton could not keep the smirks and other facial expressions off his face! Busted! Even after he just made teh statement to the judge that he trusted the court's judgement, when Ashton sat down, he yet again twisted his face into another expression of exasperation! (<---- like this) It is against the rules that the judge set out to make those kinds of facial expressions before the jury. Body language is what that is. Ashton is saying to the jury with his facial expressions during Baez's closing, "oh, that guy is so stupid." That crap is not allowed.
Yes, the 'talking heads' on TV are pleased with Jose Baez since he made such a mess during the trial. I guess they were glad to see he could do more than sell bikini bathing suits.

He has, perhaps, brought reasonable doubt to some members of the jury which was his intent.

Vinnie Politan of 'In Session' sent a tweet before Jeff Ashton's laugh and Cheney Mason was yawning as Jose Baez was giving his closing arguments. Baez was about to put his own defense team to sleep.

I understand what the defense is attempting to do. Stir the prosecutions pot and create reasonable doubt. It's what they are there to do. Look at Cheney Mason right now, he has the years of experience behind him and it shows. Jose is a joke.

One thing that has not been mentioned during the defense's closing arguments ... Caylee Marie Anthony. The prosecution is the only side that brings Caylee Marie Anthony into the courtroom front and center. That child is what the entire case is about. She is dead, thrown away in a swamp. Her mother lied for 31 days, Cindy Anthony called 911 to report Caylee Marie Anthony missing ... not Casey Anthony the child's own mother.

It will surprise me if she gets the death penalty but I do expect LWOP.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
The mistake on the defense was the overkill on "reasonable doubt". Why is the defense hammering that, if their client is not guilty as h*ll?!

Old 07-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Yes, the 'talking heads' on TV are pleased with Jose Baez since he made such a mess during the trial. I guess they were glad to see he could do more than sell bikini bathing suits.

He has, perhaps, brought reasonable doubt to some members of the jury which was his intent.

Vinnie Politan of 'In Session' sent a tweet before Jeff Ashton's laugh and Cheney Mason was yawning as Jose Baez was giving his closing arguments. Baez was about to put his own defense team to sleep.

I understand what the defense is attempting to do. Stir the prosecutions pot and create reasonable doubt. It's what they are there to do. Look at Cheney Mason right now, he has the years of experience behind him and it shows. Jose is a joke.

One thing that has not been mentioned during the defense's closing arguments ... Caylee Marie Anthony. The prosecution is the only side that brings Caylee Marie Anthony into the courtroom front and center. That child is what the entire case is about. She is dead, thrown away in a swamp. Her mother lied for 31 days, Cindy Anthony called 911 to report Caylee Marie Anthony missing ... not Casey Anthony the child's own mother.

It will surprise me if she gets the death penalty but I do expect LWOP.
I agree that Baez's presentation of evidence did seem pretty fragmented and not very meaningful during the trial. However, I think he has tied it together very well in his closing.

It's the State's job to represent Caylee Marie Anthony. That's really who they are representing via the State. It is not the job of the defense to do that. The State would be totally remiss if they did not make Caylee Anthony real and present in the court room.

Remember, the defense is required by the Florida Bar to zealously represent their client. Their client. Not Caylee. And, yes, Caylee is dead, and yes her body was put in the woods. But the State has not proven that Casey killed her. There are holes in the State's case, IMO.

Is LWOP a sentence which could be given for any of the charges other than capital murder?

I have a reasonable doubt that Casey Anthony murdered her child because the State did not prove to me that she did. Lot's of assumptions and inferences, but just not solid proof.

If they find her guilty of the murder charge, then they have to go to the sentencing hearing phase. There will be huge problems with that considering the recent ruling by the fed judge that the sentencing aspect of Florida's death penalty is unconstitutional. If there is a conviction in this case, there will no doubt be many, many years of appeals. I think people who want Cindy Anthony to be charged with perjury don't realize that there could be a new trial down the road in this case, and having the State's star witness charged with perjury in this very case, would be really, really bad news for the State.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
The mistake on the defense was the overkill on "reasonable doubt". Why is the defense hammering that, if their client is not guilty as h*ll?!
It was like the defense was asking for "unreasonable doubt."

Old 07-03-2011, 04:25 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
The mistake was also to call Casey a "****", and that the defense wanted to make her look like one, something Ashton clearly stayed away from.

The defense took way too long that it was hard to stay focused and blaming George to the point that you start to feel sorry for him...to me defense didn't do a good job...too long too many people to blame except for their own client...even experts where accused of fraud and impeachement...

Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The mistake was also to call Casey a "****", and that the defense wanted to make her look like one, something Ashton clearly stayed away from.

The defense took way too long that it was hard to stay focused and blaming George to the point that you start to feel sorry for him...to me defense didn't do a good job...too long too many people to blame except for their own client...even experts where accused of fraud and impeachement...
Yes. I heard one of the TV commentators describe the defense as the "ABC" defense; Anybody But Casey-defense.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Simple. That's the standard of proof required for the State to prove, guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. You know, there are laws and court rules involved in trials, and the lawyers are trying cases according to those laws and rules. That's why they go to law school. Trying a criminal case is not "just common sense."

Please notice that the form of verdict is "guilty" or "not guilty".........is it not and never has been "guilty" or "innocent." There's a reason for that.

I don't think it is a mistake in the least to point out all the unanswered questions and holes left in this case by the state. That's the defense attorney's job, whether it's Jose Baez or anyone else, to point out the deficiencies in the State's case. EVERY TRIAL that is the way it happens.

I should probably be careful in disagreeing with everyone regarding this case. I've noticed that anyone who does disagree with the majority opinions seems to disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime