Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times

Advertisements

I served on a jury a few years back. The guy stole a car while on probation for some other crime. Right when the cops were gaining on him, he threw the gun out of the car (in plain view). He got that charge, too. Guilty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 01:38 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
1. Kidnapping and robbery - guilty
2. Murder - guilty of 2nd degree murder
3. Soliciting a prostitute - not guilty

All were in the 1980s.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
I served on a jury--- it was two counts manslaughter and guilty.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
yes, drug charge - not quilty

I was also almost called on a gang murder trial, but during final selections, got excused for personal reasons.

One thing I learned being on a jury - I never want to commit a crime, never want to get arrested, never want to stand trial and have 12 people decide my fate.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:43 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I found the whole experience quite sobering, sad, it was a huge weight on all our shoulders.
This is exactly how I felt. Since I didn't continue to the end of the trial, I can't speak to your other points, but what I quoted above was how we all felt.

Reading the papers and watching the news keeps all of us at arm's length from the process but serving on a jury puts it all right in your face. I was immediately confronted with the fact that I would be responsible for either setting a young man free or sending him to prison until he is old and gray. Sobering is the right word to use.

I think it's kind of sad that so many people try to get out of jury duty. I think it is a responsibility that all of us should take seriously. You never know, it could be any of us in that defendant's chair.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:47 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Criminal - child rape, child molestation, murder of the parents - plead out after jury questionnaires came back.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
Not to belabor the point, but there was discussion a bit ago on HLN that I think is pertinent to this thread.

A lady outside of the courthouse was interviewed and said she was called for jury duty in Pinellas County at the same time as CA selection, did not know it was for the Anthony trial, but now believes it was. She says she "weaseled my way out like a lot of people do" but now wishes she had served so she could vote to convict Casey. She said she is an RN.

This attitude is exactly what I'm talking about. When she thought it might be a random theft or domestic abuse case, she wanted nothing of it. Now that she thinks she might have been able to have her name mentioned in a well known trial, she's all in.

This is our duty as citizens in this country, folks.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I seem to get a summons about evry 6 months. Tat emans I can serve even if picked six months before. What I see is few actaully showing up . Most are either given moeny from employers to compensate that show up or retired . The others are people on assistance. I have sever in a log time either being dismissed ,not picked or they plea the case beforwe trial. Pleas mostly.I mopst cases I hear more and more who are summoned say its a waste of their time with the plea system dominating.Last time those dismissed the firast day not living in the county seat city loss money showing up.I'll be able to cliam exemption next year.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:28 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Has anyone been to jury duty on a CRIMINAL TRIAL? If so, what type of case and what was the outcome?
Robbery and assault. After 2 days, the defendant's attorney plea bargained since it became obvious after several witnesses that his client was guilty. We were dismissed.

Many people tried to get out of being selected for that particular jury. During the selection the judge told everyone that even he had to serve as a juror; he'd heard everything and he would grant few excuses of hardship.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
Now the reason I asked these questions:

I'm a police officer and have testified many, many, many times IN FRONT of a jury. I've had the convict people, I wasn't even sure of their guilt, and I have had them do "jury nullification." Meaning, the person was guiltier then sin and they even admitted, after the fact, they were guilty, but felt they should not go to jail for their crimes (for whatever reason).

I've never had a chance to interview juror's. Usually the district attorney does, then gets back to us, if there is anything pertinent. Such as: They thought you were arrorgant. Or your testimony made them laugh and put them at ease.

I like to hear people's thoughts on being in a jury, because it really makes you see the REAL criminal justice system. Not what you see on a one hour show on TV. And remember, even what a jury sees and hears, usually doesn't scratch the surface of the entire investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime