Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:33 PM

577 posts, read 899,910 times

Advertisements

I don't think her acquittal had much to do with race-- she was "lucky" in that the case was almost entirely circumstantial. However, it is quite true that crimes against white female children-- especially if they are middle or upper class-- get far more press coverage than any other "category." Murders of black men are rarely mentioned by the media to the same extent. There were two black men (Americans) murdered in the Bahamas around the same time Natalee Holloway disappeared. But no one has heard about them. There are countless examples of this. Around the time Jon Benet Ramsey was killed, a black girl the same age was raped in a housing project. No one heard about that, either.

Now if you could argue that the press coverage somehow aided her acquittal then yes, perhaps there is an argument that race had something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
We refused to attend our graduation ceremonies (in Wisconsin) & we all went home early that year. It was terrible.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-08-2011, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,046 times
Hi! As the writer of the first article you listed (It Doesn't Matter What Color Casey Anthony Is), I agree with you. I don't know if you read my post or not, but I basically said the same thing you did - that there was nothing racial about this crime, and that it's ridiculous for people to let race overshadow the fact that a guilty person was set free and a little girl's murder went unpunished. It's such a sad situation =(

Old 07-08-2011, 10:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is true.

Women on Death Row - Kenisha Berry

Crime Committed:

On November 29, 1998, in Jefferson County, Texas, Berry placed duct tape across the body and mouth of her 4 day old son, placed him in a black plastic trash bag and left his body in a trash dumpster, resulting in his death.

She is currently on death row...guess what color she is....
That is just a different jury. Looking a the reasoning told by one juror its obvious they did not follow law on what is murder in anthny case. They wanted proof of things like motive beyond a resonable doubt which is not needed to prove murder. Many have been sentenced on evidence far less than OJ evidence. In that case the jury had to beleive a massive conspracy to mix DNA by large number of police;civialian techs and lab techs. It just happen and always will T Cullen Davis is a old example.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,625,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is true.

Women on Death Row - Kenisha Berry

Crime Committed:

On November 29, 1998, in Jefferson County, Texas, Berry placed duct tape across the body and mouth of her 4 day old son, placed him in a black plastic trash bag and left his body in a trash dumpster, resulting in his death.

She is currently on death row...guess what color she is....
Wow.

But, I wondered the same thing and I am white and elderly. I don't know what to think in the end. I think the jurors bent over backwards to be "correct"......I truly believe there was enough circumstantial evidence to convict her of some level of crime in harming her child and if one of the jurors writes a book or gets interviewed in some magazine, I am going to be (you know what)....

She got away with murder and her family made a mockery of what was right and honorable for Caylee. They didn't deserve her.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:18 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I can name, offhand, the names of several missing or murdered white children who got tons of media coverage, but not so many black children. Why is that? It sure isn't because black or hispanic children aren't being murdered, or not missing. It's because the news shows wouldn't get the ratings and papers and magazines wouldn't sell as much. Same thing with missing women. How many people have heard of Stacy Peterson and how many people have heard of Nailah Franklin? It's common knowledge that if you're pretty, white, and rich, you stand a better chance of getting media attention.

I don't think it's strictly based on race though. If Elizabeth Smart had lived in a trailer park, I doubt if she would have gotten the coverage she got. Instead, we saw this beautiful little blond angel playing a harp, kidnapped from her million dollar home. Ratings sweep.

Cases like Haleigh Cummings and Zahara Baker, where the families were poor and white, and in the Cummings case particularly, portrayed as trashy druggies, these kids were cute, and Zahara Baker was handicapped, so they received a great deal of attention as well.

I recall around the same time as the Jon Benet Ramsey media circus, a nine year old girl in Chicago's Cabrini Green projects was kidnapped, poisoned, and brutally raped. The child survived, but was permanently disabled. No one outside Chicago ever heard of this child. Why? What do people want to hear about more, the rich, beautiful beauty queen from Colorado, or a poor little black girl from Chicago's projects?

A number of factors are involved in these cases, not race alone. Bottom line is this baby is dead, most likely killed by her selfish, self absorbed, narcissist mother who has now gotten away with murder. It doesn't matter what color she is, it's still a travesty.

What matters is, this isn't the last time something like this will happen. Right this very minute, there may be a child being murdered that no one will ever know about.
I would just like to say that watching the video's of a murdered child tend to get me more involved than a few pictures. Not that one child is more important than the other. If I watched video's of the little black child like all of the video's we watched of Jon Benet and Caylee, it would bring the murder closer to home. After watching the video of Caylee singing "You are my sunshine", I became totally involved emotionally. If it had been a little black girl, I would felt the same thing. Also it is different when the child is missing rather when found murdered because you always want to check in to find out if the child is found as in Caylee's case. Than when news comes out each day and new characters and information are added to the mix it keeps you involved.
With Jon Benet, we suspected that rich white people were involved but couldn't prove it and with Caylee, we suspected a pretty white mother and saw many pictures of her partying afterwards as she kept getting caught in lie after lie.
If either of these were rich black or pretty black, it would have been the same. I think the words "rich" and "pretty" mean more than "black" and video's get you more involved.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:04 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,990,710 times
This video is funny. The article posted before it is not. I can't believe it was published by Psychology Today. I thought they were a respectable publication?

Casey Anthony Trial: Is Juror No. 4 a "Church Lady"?

For the record here is the racial makeup (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/07/05/2300893/list-of-jurors-in-the-casey-anthony.html - broken link) of Anthony's jurors. I was shocked none of them were hispanic or asian. Not that it makes a difference but I thought Florida would have a more "diverse" group of jurors. But now that I think about it the hispanics could have all been illegal and therefore unable to serve on a jury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscellaneousSheepery View Post
Hi! As the writer of the first article you listed (It Doesn't Matter What Color Casey Anthony Is), I agree with you. I don't know if you read my post or not, but I basically said the same thing you did - that there was nothing racial about this crime, and that it's ridiculous for people to let race overshadow the fact that a guilty person was set free and a little girl's murder went unpunished. It's such a sad situation =(
Hi! I did read your blog post and liked it a lot so I wanted to include it on the list. Thanks for expressing so well what many were also thinking.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:23 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times
Default Nothing wrong with acknowledging reality

It is because race impacts the daily lives of every single black person from birth till death. Racial inequities that work to the detriment of black people in every category are ever-present, and a black person can't help but note the double-standards whenever they occur.

Had a black woman done what Casey Anthony did, not only would the jury have taken far less time to decide, but the condemnation would've been harsh and absolute. It's quite a shame. In fact, the darker the skin of the black woman, the more severe the condemnation. For instance, had Anthony looked as dark-skinned as Grace Jones, the jury would've thought she was guilty before they even heard the evidence.

One does not expect the typical racist to understand or even acknowledge this reality. The outrage by the typical racist speaks more to the glaring and severe limitations of the racist than anything else.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 PM

297 posts, read 519,695 times
Unfortunately, missing or murdered poor black or hispanic children barely make the local news. How can we expect cases to get national coverage if they aren't even getting local coverage? If people in the community aren't interested, why would people across the country be interested? I've seen cases get national coverage because of the huge local response. If a child goes missing, and 4000 people show up to look for him/her, then I bet the national media would cover it. But I hear about cases all the time, where the locals don't seem to give a crap, so I'm not surprised when they fade away.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,477 times
sure if we did a DNA test we would find out she is not 100 percent white. No one is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime