Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:22 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times

Advertisements

This books is a testimony of strength and courage. I am in the middle of the book and even though some parts of the book is hard to read, it is a well written book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 12:21 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Amazon.com: Lost and Found: The True Story of Jaycee Lee Dugard and the Abduction that Shocked the World (St. Martin's True Crime Library) (9780312388270): John Glatt: Books

Jaycee in People magazine, with her new book. Jaycee Dugard Tells ABC's Diane Sawyer About Giving Birth While Held Prisoner : People.com

Really interesting, how she gave birth...no medical help. I wish only the best for her and her family. Not that she needs the money, but this should be an interesting book.
I just finished reading this book, and Jaycee's graphic details of what happened to her just makes me angry that a pervert could get away with kidnapping this baby and raping her repeatedly. I am sorry, jail isn't good enough for a guy like her captor.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:11 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Unbelievable the number of people concerned with the money she made from a book...how much money will go to the foundation......Good grief

Shes an extraordinary women who told her story, the rest should be of no importance to the public.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:26 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I am just concerned, how many other "missing" girls could be held prisoner like this? That is the scary part.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I am just concerned, how many other "missing" girls could be held prisoner like this? That is the scary part.

Absolutely. We all should, its disturbing. I posted a thread months ago about Human Trafficking...

Why should anyone be concerned with Jaycee Duggards monetary gain and where it will go?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:39 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
I just finished Jaycee's book. I cannot even imagine the horror she went through during her first few months and years of her captivity. She reached out to animals--cats, in particular--for love, which I think helped to sustain her and give her something to hang on to. Later, after the birth of her daughter, at age 14, she had another human to love and who loved her. Over the course of a few years, she became so overpowered and dominated by the Garrido's, with her very survival dependent on them, it is easy to understand how/why her psyche formed the bond with them that it did. It was not based on any "love" for them; it was based on staying alive. They kept her in a confined space, giving her the food that kept her alive and with only a bucket for a toilet. Eventually, the Garrido's took her with them to various public places for shopping, etc. but by this time she was so afraid and had no backbone of her own that she was afraid to escape. How posters on here can criticize her and fail to understand how her personality changed--because of her 100% dependence on the Garrido's for sheer survival--leading to a kind of acceptance of her "lot in life", is something I cannot wrap my mind around. It was only with patient and expert counseling after her rescue that she was able to learn a new way of thinking and being. I am in awe that she was not so buried in a protective psychosis that she was at all able to psychologically emerge to a new way of life. Some of the stories that have come out about similar young girls in Europe who were kept in captivity and horribly abused by their own fathers have not ended happily as they have retreated into a psychosis from which they do not return.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:24 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,246 times
think i should read this........ something tells me that you cried a lot after and during your read....... I sense that in your post.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
It was heartbreaking reading her book and knowing what all she went through, especially in the early years when Garrido's sexual appetite was still strong. The man was clearly deranged and delusional and his wife was not playing with a full deck either. I didn't know it before but Garrido's mother lived in the main house so she must have known all along what was going on, too.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:38 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Dependent on crazy people for food, to be free from being shocked with a taser, the sheer fact that this girl did not go completely psychotic is a testimony to the human will to survive. She adapted to that environment, in order to survive in it. Raped on a daily basis...at her young age...forced into a home birth, without any type of medical treatment...it is beyond barbaric.

Anyone who knew that young girl was a captive, and being abused, and did nothing, should have been held accountable.

Last edited by jasper12; 09-10-2011 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-10-2011, 07:35 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
think i should read this........ something tells me that you cried a lot after and during your read....... I sense that in your post.
When I got to the chapter where Jaycee graphically described what happened to her, I cried (not having any daughters myself) but thinking what if that was my daughter being repeatedly raped, and tortured for hours on end. All I can say is that Jaycee wanted her reader to know exactly what happened to her. She has nothing to be ashamed of because what happened to her was not her choice or fault. She was only 11 years old, and how many 11 year olds would try to fight back. Another person who comes to mind is Shawn Hornbeck--the kidnapped kid in Missouri. He was the same age as Jaycee when he was abducted. He stayed with his captor for 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime