Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:14 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times

Advertisements

Casey Anthony has now been released from Prison after being found not guilty of killing her 2 year old daughter Caylee. The prosecution bungled its case and too much doubt was left in the jurors minds to convict in a capital murder case. There were those on the jury who do not believe she is innocent but because all the evidence was circumstantial and too many red herrings, they felt they could not convict her of murder. This is a clear case of just because someone is found not guilty it does NOT mean they are innocent....... OJ all over again.
What scares me about this case are a few things......
(1) This is another case where the jury system has failed...but what else can replace it and how can it be improved.
(2) How many desperate women out there will look at this case and then at their crying child who they do not want and blame for their awful lives, and then think they can also get away with getting rid of a unwanted child and also get the coverage and "celebrity" status that Casey has now got. This will be tempting to some. Awful thought but could happen.
(3) Casey and her family will now benefit from this case. Cindy is now looking at writing a book and Casey will no doubt earn a small fortune with interviews, a book, film etc etc........ Disgusting..... on the back of a dead 2 year old.
(4) This case has now cost the Tax payer many thousands. Expert witnesses were getting $20,000 and more each to testify.
This is not the first and probably won't be the last travisty of justice as many see this to be. Let's hope that this does not lead to the death of another innocent child because it is seen as a example of how desperate people can flaunt the law and get away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:18 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
1) How did it fail? There was not any compelling evidence that proved beyond all reasonable doubt that she committed murder. That's how the system works. How would you like it if you were accused of murder and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and the jury used just that to convict you?

2) Yeah, no. I don't think people starting copying OJ.

3) Disgusting? Maybe. But what about blaming the people who eat that stuff up? It's called the profit motive, and that motive exists in this case because so many people are fascinated by this stuff and pay good money to hear some woman talk about her experience in jail. It's like when people ***** about the news covering celebrity gossip... they wouldn't do it if people didn't watch it.

4) Yeah, a lot of cases cost a lot of money. I'm glad it was spent on an actual criminal trial instead of some drug charge trial.

e: For the record, I do think she probably killed her, but I was not a juror on the case and if I was I probably would have come to the same conclusion as the other jurors. A wise founding father (I think) once said that it is better to let ten guilty men go free than to condemn one innocent one.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
What part of "not guilty" did you not understand?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:23 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
I read a story about some person who was run off the road because she looked like Casey Anthony and the other driver just flipped out.

That to me is far scarier than the outcome of this trial.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:25 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
What puzzles me is the obsession that so many people have over Casey Anthony and this case. Some of the obsession is surely the media hype, but I'm not so sure that is all of it. I've not seen 'water cooler' talk about a case like I've seen with this one. Here in OK a young lady was attacked as she left work because someone thought she was Casey Anthony. The attacker rammed the lady's truck several times, and the truck turned over. That's crazy.

I can understand people being upset that this little girl received no justice, but parents do horrible things to their children every day. Rape. Murder. Severe abuse. So why have so many people intensely become obsessive over this case? Do you think it was because of the non-stop screaming coverage by loud mouths like Nancy Grace?

The whole thing is just weird.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:33 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
(1) This is another case where the jury system has failed...but what else can replace it and how can it be improved.
Although I agree she is guilty this is the way our system works, it isn't always correct but it is the best system.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What part of "not guilty" did you not understand?
The part that said OJ.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
1) How did it fail? There was not any compelling evidence that proved beyond all reasonable doubt that she committed murder. That's how the system works. How would you like it if you were accused of murder and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and the jury used just that to convict you?
not reporting your missing child for 31 days and would have been longer if her mother hadn't called 911.
in jail. Rolling her Dad, Brother and anyone else under the bus to gain freedom. These are NO
The overwhelming smell of decomposition in the boot of her car and scientific proof that it was human remains.
her complete lack of any kind of concern about her daughters death..partying, lying, and the sudden announcement that caylee drowned after 3 years T actions of a grieving mother of a child dying in a accident.

2) Yeah, no. I don't think people starting copying OJ.
Didn't say copying but another miscarriage of justice

3) Disgusting? Maybe. But what about blaming the people who eat that stuff up? It's called the profit motive, and that motive exists in this case because so many people are fascinated by this stuff and pay good money to hear some woman talk about her experience in jail. It's like when people ***** about the news covering celebrity gossip... they wouldn't do it if people didn't watch it.

Absolutely agree with you..... i switched off the Chanel last night when it stopped the programming to cover Casey's release from jail..... Disgusting
4) Yeah, a lot of cases cost a lot of money. I'm glad it was spent on an actual criminal trial instead of some drug charge trial.
Glad you are pleased about spending huge amounts of the tax payers money on this fiasco instead of on really important issues like health care or education or infrastructure here in Florida..... over $20,000 for expert witnesses statements..... scandalous

e: For the record, I do think she probably killed her, but I was not a juror on the case and if I was I probably would have come to the same conclusion as the other jurors. A wise founding father (I think) once said that it is better to let ten guilty men go free than to condemn one innocent one.
The Jury did what they thought was best on the evidence they were given.... they didn't see all the evidence as some was not allowed. This also applies to people found guilty who are innocent. On this occassion a guilty person has walked free

Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
The part that said OJ.
People need to learn the difference between 'not-guilty' and 'innocent'

Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I read a story about some person who was run off the road because she looked like Casey Anthony and the other driver just flipped out.

That to me is far scarier than the outcome of this trial.
That is what i am saying by my thread........ This case is worrying by the aftermath that will come from it. The woman being run off the road is awful and i am sure thar more bad things will come from this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime