Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You bet your ass it doesn't always work. There are innocent men and women sitting in prison. Where is the outcry for THEM?
There are many innocent people sitting in jail as well. The justice system stinks sometimes on both sides.

Just look like a person who did a crime and you are a "dead ringer" which has two meanings in a bad trial and overzealous prosecutor. I have seen cases that are atrocious on both sides.. some defense lawyers stink as well and let an innocent person get hung .

Look at the standards the collection of evidence has to live up to. Some evidence is not used because of a mistake by the police . One case there was bloody clothes of a fellow who killed his parents. It could not be used and the guy got off.

The prosecutors who want to save face and refuse to back off an innocent victim even though the evidence is not there or hide evidence that exonerates them of the crime.. manipulation because of big egos should be held accountable for the lies and cover up that ruin lives.

It goes both ways. It is injustice on both sides. So what is your beef? Let everyone go because someone maybe innocent and get put in jail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The poster you are referring too is upset (as I am) with what appears to be a miscarriage of justice. Perhaps, if I read more of her posts, I'd get a real understanding of where she was coming from.

I agree though that her post appears to be premised on a false understanding of what the Bill of Rights and the constitutional protection giving those accused of crimes is supposed to do. The Founding Fathers view of "freedom" appears to be different than hers. Freedom isn't about protection from crime. For that matter it isn't about protection from harm that comes to people from nature or from other private individuals. The freedoms that are articulated in the Constitution were put there to protect us from our own government.

The fact that we don't have newspaper editors being put into jail for writing articles that politicians don't agree with is proof that the Bill of Rights works. The fact that I can attend a church with a very different belief system than your church without fear that the police will arrest my bishop is proof that it works. Finally, the fact that the Governor of Florida cannot step in in this case and overturn this unpopular jury verdict also shows that (no matter how painful) our system works. The Bill of Rights was never meant to guarantee us protection from crime, protection from unemployment, or guarantee us relief in the event of a flood or earthquake.

Honestly, the longer people rant and rave about the Casey Anthony trial, the more I become convinced that all the Civics and American Government classes being taught in schools around this country are teaching nothing at all. I've seen studies that show that less than 20% of Americans can even name the three branches of government. Its really quite pathetic and its right in line with a lot of the nonsense I'm reading here. Even so, its one thing to be ignorant. Its another to insist on spreading your ignorance on a public forum.
My post had nothing whatsoever to do with the justice system.
I was referring to the men and women who died for our country because you are the one who brought them up.
And yes, I do have family members who fought for our country. A lot of them, just to let you know.
I have just as much of a right to post on this message board as you do, maybe more.
What is your opinion on freedom of speech? Or do you think that is just for you?

Last edited by mag32gie; 08-01-2011 at 06:44 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 06:58 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
my post had nothing whatsoever to do with the justice system.
I was referring to the men and women who died for our country because you are the one who brought them up.
And yes, i do have family members who fought for our country. A lot of them, just to let you know.
I have just as much of a right to post on this message board as you do, maybe more.
What is your opinion on freedom of speech? Or do you think that is just for you?
lol wut?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Your thinking on this issue is very shallow. You judge our criminal justice system a "complete failure" based on the Casey Anthony case and the OJ Simpson case (which interestingly occurred 16 years apart from one another).

An intelligent person trying to make the case that "our criminal justice system is a failure" would come up with real evidence. Perhaps, statistics could be presented so that we would know how often these "failures" take place. For example, one could compare the criminal justice system with other systems and show some contrast that would prove that other systems in other countries do their job more efficiently.

Since both cases involved situations where a jury failed to convict based upon the fact it had a reasonable doubt that the offender was guilty than you must be against the jury system. If this is the case, it is incumbent upon you to present us with an alternative that reaches the correct result more often than the current system does. I not only fail to see any evidence that our system is a failure, but the two isolated cases you point out, you fail to demonstrate what you would replace our system with.

You do understand that our system allows criminal defendants to be judged by jurors who possess their own free will? When those jurors exercise their free will in a manner you find to be distasteful, you illogically condemn the entire criminal justice system. I say if there is fault here that it lies with the individual jurors and not with the system. Are you able to differentiate between the two?

My advice to you and others who choose to rant and rave about the Casey Anthony trial is to arm yourself with a few facts before you sound off.

Finally, those who would throw away the sacred protections articulated in our Bill of Rights do grave dishonor to the hundreds of thousands of men and women who died for our country in the many wars we have fought. Minimizing or trivializing such freedoms in light of this sacrifice is a real moral judgment on the "souls" of those who do so.
You are ranting and raving about freedom. Ever here of freedom of speech? One failure of justice is too many especially when a little girl is dead! I have a right and that is what America's freedoms are to speak your mind. If I sat back and said nothing on this subject of an unjust verdict I would consider myself as a passive uncaring individual. If everyone sat back and accepted unjust circumstances we might as well not try and uphold what is right in our souls.. I can't just say who cares and I have every right to say what I want within my rights as an American.

Having public outcry means that Casey Anthony will be hindered to making more money. We the people are upset with this verdict and that is what America stands for. Freedom of speech and I exercise my right to it.

So you judge me as shallow? I am a deep thinker and if the jurors that gave this dotless verdict thought a little deeper maybe they would know what connecting the dots means.

That, my fellow American is shallow.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I think the hundreds of thousands of men and women who died for our country did it more to keep 3 year olds from getting stuffed into a black bag and thrown into a garbage dump then to keep the one who did it out of jail.
This post is referring to what men fought for to live as a good American with freedoms.. we are not to have freedom to stuff our child in a bag and throw them away and let the guilty one to have freedom. I read it and followed it and found the meaning of it and this poster has every right to post it.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
One failure of justice is too many especially when a little girl is dead!
Murder is as old as the Bible. Cain killed Abel. I am unaware of any society on earth that has prevented all homicides.

Quote:
I have a right and that is what America's freedoms are to speak your mind. If I sat back and said nothing on this subject of an unjust verdict I would consider myself as a passive uncaring individual. If everyone sat back and accepted unjust circumstances we might as well not try and uphold what is right in our souls.. I can't just say who cares and I have every right to say what I want within my rights as an American.
Who says you don't? However, when someone utters irrational thoughts on this forum and condemns a system that has proven its value in adjudicating innocence and guilt (our criminal justice system) don't expect to not be criticized for doing so. Everyone in this country has the right to an opinion. This should not be mistaken though for the idea that "all opinions are equal". Opinions that are actually founded on reading, research, and experience will almost always be better opinions than those of people who one day decide they don't like something and get on a public forum to complain. In my own case, I've practiced law for nearly thirty years and have taken multiple courses in constitutional law. As a result, I do believe my opinions are more thoughtful than most of what I read here.

Quote:
So you judge me as shallow? I am a deep thinker and if the jurors that gave this dotless verdict thought a little deeper maybe they would know what connecting the dots means.
I judge many people who post here as quite shallow. If your sole contribution to the True Crime Forum is to complain about "the system" without offering any specific reforms that doesn't get us very far. The jurors in the Casey Anthony case probably were wrong. However, that's the way we decide issues like this in America. We don't have a CNN or FOX News Program where we take a vote at the end and convict or acquit based on what a majority of the viewers thought. That's, in effect, what many posters here seem to be saying.

What I actually suggest sometime is that you and many of those who post here and are so critical of the criminal justice system do sometime is to sit down with a copy of the Constitution. Read the whole thing, but concentrate for a while on Amendments 4, 5, and 6. If you do, you'll read about the right to a jury trial, the protection against double jeopardy, the privilege to not incriminate yourself, and the right to have legal counsel to assist you when charged with a crime. I have complained before about how abysmally ignorant most Americans are about the Constitution and Civics before. All the whining and moaning I've heard here about the result in the Casey Anthony trial simply reinforces what I already knew.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Murder is as old as the Bible. Cain killed Abel. I am unaware of any society on earth that has prevented all homicides.

Who says you don't? However, when someone utters irrational thoughts on this forum and condemns a system that has proven its value in adjudicating innocence and guilt (our criminal justice system) don't expect to not be criticized for doing so. Everyone in this country has the right to an opinion. This should not be mistaken though for the idea that "all opinions are equal". Opinions that are actually founded on reading, research, and experience will almost always be better opinions than those of people who one day decide they don't like something and get on a public forum to complain. In my own case, I've practiced law for nearly thirty years and have taken multiple courses in constitutional law. As a result, I do believe my opinions are more thoughtful than most of what I read here.

I judge many people who post here as quite shallow. If your sole contribution to the True Crime Forum is to complain about "the system" without offering any specific reforms that doesn't get us very far. The jurors in the Casey Anthony case probably were wrong. However, that's the way we decide issues like this in America. We don't have a CNN or FOX News Program where we take a vote at the end and convict or acquit based on what a majority of the viewers thought. That's, in effect, what many posters here seem to be saying.

What I actually suggest sometime is that you and many of those who post here and are so critical of the criminal justice system do sometime is to sit down with a copy of the Constitution. Read the whole thing, but concentrate for a while on Amendments 4, 5, and 6. If you do, you'll read about the right to a jury trial, the protection against double jeopardy, the privilege to not incriminate yourself, and the right to have legal counsel to assist you when charged with a crime. I have complained before about how abysmally ignorant most Americans are about the Constitution and Civics before. All the whining and moaning I've heard here about the result in the Casey Anthony trial simply reinforces what I already knew.

I watched the trial only. You don't know what I watch or don't watch. You assume which makes you speculate as to where I got the information on the case.

You are whining and moaning about the posters here . This forum is here for opinions and your opinions are speculative at best.

Double jeopardy was not adhered to in the Rodney King trial so it failed .

Justice can be bought and jurors can be airheads. Now that is not speculation.

With your attitude with your posts and know it all spirit we lowly peons with no legal background do have what many trained people don't possess and that is plain ole' common sense and a thirst for righteousness.

So where is your contribution to fix the system? I don't hear anything from you.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
When Mason gave the middle finger to someone (supposedly some media people) it's a shame someone didn't confront him face-to-face about it. It would have been fun to see Mason shove someone and then get his scumbag ass beat to a pulp on high-quality video.
as a person, he seems quite offensive. No class. Unprofessional, crude and disgusting.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
as a person, he seems quite offensive. No class. Unprofessional, crude and disgusting.
Yes, he yells out "you lost and we won", that was very offensive also.
He wonders why some nut calls his home?
When you keep shooting off your mouth, why be surprised when an unstable person answers by shooting off theirs?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You are ranting and raving about freedom. Ever here of freedom of speech? One failure of justice is too many especially when a little girl is dead! I have a right and that is what America's freedoms are to speak your mind. If I sat back and said nothing on this subject of an unjust verdict I would consider myself as a passive uncaring individual. If everyone sat back and accepted unjust circumstances we might as well not try and uphold what is right in our souls.. I can't just say who cares and I have every right to say what I want within my rights as an American.

Having public outcry means that Casey Anthony will be hindered to making more money. We the people are upset with this verdict and that is what America stands for. Freedom of speech and I exercise my right to it.

That, my fellow American is shallow.
Agree w. you 100%. people have a right to voice their thoughts on this "verdict". You can believe in the system, but not the jurors or the way they came to a conclusion. Clearly two days of "deliberation" was all these jurors could handle.

If everyone's thinking process was the same as those jurors, it would be a sad day for America indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime