Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,854,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill80 View Post
Burglary only applies if you enter a building or habitation. Stealing an AC unit from behind the house is theft, not burglary. The value of the AC unit would probably make it a felony theft (state jail felony), but felony theft does not apply in the elements of capital murder.

Also, for capital murder to apply in the case of a burglary, the death would have to have occurred during the act (or the attempt) of burglary.
Capital murder and felony murder are two different things. Read the law.

Burlgary charges aren't limited to buildings, they can also be brought for illegally entering a car or any structure, or for theft of an article permanently attached to a dwelling or structure. (Like an AC unit or antenna)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 08:24 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,945,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
this is very sad, but, if the AC was important to her health, she should have been placed someplace else till the ac was replaced. Sounds to me like family did not do their part in this and should also be held accountable.
I agree but maybe she was just too stubborn to leave her home & the family gave up asking. You can only do so much.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 AM

77,799 posts, read 59,963,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
I have often thought about electrifying my aluminum window sash (surrounded by vinyl siding on wood) as i live in the woods alone and want to leave the window open in nice weather to cool off my home when im gone. I dont want to kill a Thief however...only shake him to the core of his Being ; but I suppose if the Perp. lost his life Id be in hot water . BUT, in Florida, if youre IN THE HOUSE when the Thief is entering your home, you can by law stand your ground , not retreat, and shoot him if you feel threatened.
Yes, sadly even if you weren't charged by the police for the shocking....you'd be in a bad way for the criminal suit.

My advice is that you could get some motion sensors that send a message to your cell phone if triggered. You could then call the police that someone is in your house.

On the CHEAP you could get some beware of dog signs and fake stickers on-line for alarm companies.

Let's be honest, for an isolated home if they come to rob the place your window open or closed won't matter if they know you aren't home they just break your window or door.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,587,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I feel sorry for the lady, but people DID live without air conditioning for centuries BEFORE they had them. There are also thousands of people who crossed Death Valley on their way to California in wagons. Drinking enough water and taking proper precautions would keep someone from dying from a heat stroke.

So again, I'm really sorry for this elderly lady, but I don't think they person who stole her AC unit killed her.
At 79 years old and inside a hot house during a heat wave....? How do you know what her medical conditions were ? May be she had COPD and had trouble breathing, may be just the stress of just trying to rest at night or breath may have caused her to have a heart attack !!!! Plus, her body may have been conditioned to A/C. It's fact. I am southern born and elderly and I can't take the heat anymore. Now, my mother, rarely was in AC and she could handle it better than I could.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,587,157 times
The AC thieves are getting copper out of the units and probably selling the rest for scrap....a major hospital in my area had one of the big units stolen off the top of one of the buildings. It was in the local newspaper. Businesses are having theirs stolen on a daily basis. If a house is left vacant, as a lot are now, the AC usually gets stolen. I hope and pray they do not get mine as I have a big deductible on my HO's insurance.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:27 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,346,376 times
If the Elderly woman turned down help. Such as another AC and did not want to stay at friends family that offered, then it's not the theifs fault she died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime