Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 02:08 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This was an extreme situation, and should be viewed on a continuum. While on a Bell curve scale, yes, Pitt Bulls, and Rotti's are probably a standard deviation above the norm on biting, along with many other types of dogs, that does not mean that NO ONE should be allowed to have them as pets. It means that if someone does get a dog that is more prone to anxiety reactive behavior, that means that person should have enough sense to train their dog appropriately, and control the animal. Same as when I had a dog that hated men, (smart dog) when strange men were around, he was on a leash, to remind him to mind his manners.
The problem is, there is no good reason to have them as pets over other breeds!!! That being the case, we don't need these breeds and eliminating them would cut dog attack injuries and deaths in half!!!

Give me one good reason why we need pit bulls and rotweilers? Why these two breeds? The most violent of the dogs? Why do THEY need to be pets of anyone?

I understand that some dogs have unique talents that serve humans and then the risk outweighs the risk but the risk should only be taken when there is a benefit to outweigh the risk. What is the benefit of allowing anyone who wants one to own a pit bull or rotweiler? How do these two breeds serve mankind? What benefit offsets the risk to every child who comes near them?

I have a neighbor down the street who is on about his third pit bull. The others have had to be put down for behavior issues. While his dogs are kept on chains, they are in an unfenced yard. God help any child who wanders away from mom and into that yard. Why not have some gentle breed of dog? Why this one? What about this breed makes them worth the risk? Why a dog at all? Is it really worth taking a risk with every child in the neighborhood to own a dog? Where's the benefit to offset the potential cost? At least my cats catch mice.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-11-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 02:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
Gee, with that logic, why do we allow people in the United States to have guns? Guns kill people, yet people have FREEDOM here to own guns. Same as they have freedom to have whatever dog they want. As they should. Dog ownership is not something that needs to be legislated. We have enough crazy laws in this country as it is.
The-Benefits-of-Owning-a-Rottweiler

And if you want to discuss people owning dangerous pets, what about the people whose child was killed by a snake? Start with outlawing snakes before dogs. After all, a snake is not even domesticated.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:24 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Gee, with that logic, why do we allow people in the United States to have guns? Guns kill people, yet people have FREEDOM here to own guns. Same as they have freedom to have whatever dog they want. As they should. Dog ownership is not something that needs to be legislated. We have enough crazy laws in this country as it is.
The-Benefits-of-Owning-a-Rottweiler

And if you want to discuss people owning dangerous pets, what about the people whose child was killed by a snake? Start with outlawing snakes before dogs. After all, a snake is not even domesticated.
Guns are for protection. So are alarm systems on houses so you don't need a dog for protection and even if you did, you wouldn't need a particular violent breed of dog that is known to kill. Also, you need a license to own a gun. Any idiot can own a pit bull or a rotweiler.

Pit bulls and rotweilers serve no special purpose over other dogs but they are responsible for half of the serious dog attack injuries and deaths in this country. THEY should be outlawed. Their only purpose seems to be stroking the too large egos of their owners who have to have a big violent dog to be pack leader to. I see serious control issues here.

And, back to guns, as much as I believe in freedom, when I look at the crime rates in countries like Norway, where guns are outlawed, I think outlawing them might be a good idea. Unfortunately, outlawing guns wouldn't stop outlaws from owning guns. So we fight fire with fire. There's no reason to have a pit bull or a rotweiler. These two breeds don't impart some special benefit to mankind that is worth the carnage they leave in their wake.

Try reading my posts, I already included dangerous pets like snakes. I'm talking about one group of "pets" and that is animals that are large enough and strong enough to kill people who serve no other purose (like leader dog or guard dog behind a fenced yard at a business where no children will ever be near the dogs.). There is no purpose in having a large snake as a pet either. Keeping dangerous animals as pets is just stupid. I think we need to take a, serious, look at the breeds of dog we allow as pets. Some shouldn't be pets.

Unfortunately, with dogs, even small ones can be an issue because they are pack animals and while one small dog might not be able to inflict much harm, a pack can. Seriously, why are we taking chances just to say we own this particular pet??? It's stupid.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
Closed for mod review.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime