Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Seriously, I have no interest in a "pet" I have to know how to handle. That's not a pet. An animal you have to learn to handle is something best left in the wild.
Cats are much easier than dogs to deal with.

At least you know your own mind. Too many people decide to get a dog and are unprepared for the challenges. Even the tiniest rat dog, 1/2 the size of a cat, can be a giant PITA if not raised properly.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:28 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Updated Info:

Case still under investigation by Bladen County Sheriff’s Office.

Father was in jail

According to a story in The Fayetteville Observer on Friday, the baby’s father was in the Cumberland County Jail at the time of the incident.

Citing court records, the newspaper stated that Charles N. Camerino, 21, had been arrested on Friday, Aug. 26, and charged with obtaining property by false pretenses and misdemeanor larceny. He was reportedly bailed out of jail on Wednesday, one day after his baby daughter was killed.

Incident report

The Bladen County Sheriff’s Office released an incident report on Thursday that stated clothing, blankets, hand towels and a car seat were taken from the Camerino home by investigators shortly after being called to the home.

According to information released, the grandfather, Nelson Camerino, called authorities at 4:49 p.m. to report the attack. Authorities have said the child was deceased at the time of their arrival.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM

5 posts, read 4,169 times
Quote:
The problem is, they attacked a baby. The baby, obviously, didn't provoke the attack. That leaves the dogs to blame. Obviously, these breeds will attack babies. If the breed doesn't, they wouldn't have.
However it wasn't just a pit but the pit is the only one that is gettting the balme...it was 5 dogs all different breeds!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Cats are much easier than dogs to deal with.

At least you know your own mind. Too many people decide to get a dog and are unprepared for the challenges. Even the tiniest rat dog, 1/2 the size of a cat, can be a giant PITA if not raised properly.
I just don't want something I have to rule over and train. That's just not my idea of a pet. I'd rather have an animal that likes my company. Cats suit me just fine. Interestingly, mine became very protective when I got pregnant. One was very protective of the baby and the other had to be, not so politely, told that she couldn't hiss at the baby for crying but she got the message fast (in her defense, she was brain damaged (birth injury) so she wasn't too bright. - Case in point, the cat ADORED my husband ). I did get rid of one cat before dd#1 was born. The cat had been raised around dogs that abused her and had learned to bite hard to defend herself (the dogs were Chows I believe and had lots of fur she had to bite through). She never actually bit any of us but she'd go through the motions and babies are just so tiny and grow into toddlers who have to be taught how to treat animals and the cat was jittery. Poor thing just wasn't right after being around those dogs for so many years so I didn't trust her. I gave her to a friend who didn't have kids where she's happily sitting in the window as an only cat.

When they invent a dog breed that just wants to be a companion and not part of a pack with a pecking order, I'll get a dog. Until then, I'll stick with cats.

Yup, cats are easier. I have no idea why anyone would want a difficult pet. My definition of a pet is something that keeps me company. I'll wake up to a pair of green eyes and a pair of yellow eyes tomorrow morning. Of course, they really just want to be fed and know that I have opposable thumbs and can open the cans of cat food, lol. At least they're not like M (the obnoxious cat who saved my brother's life). If she wanted to eat and I wasn't up, she just hopped on the counter and ran the can opener until someone came to feed her.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-07-2011 at 06:14 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 06:15 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4myPit View Post
However it wasn't just a pit but the pit is the only one that is gettting the balme...it was 5 dogs all different breeds!
No one is blaming just the pit bull. All 5 were involved in the attack. All of the breeds are dangerous. I wouldn't own any of them.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:23 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4myPit View Post
I am sadded that everyone is blaming the pit bull breed and calling them dangerous and vicious dogs! of course they are going to look like these savage beasts because everytime a dog attack is on the news it is a pit! However, any dog can attack but you NEVER hear about the lab or shepard or any other breed that attacks a person! My dogs have never shown aggression or showed any signs of turning on us! It is all in how you raise them and how they are bred! I have used some of my pits as therapy dogs and also as compainions in nursing homes and with young kids...do you really think if the whole breed was dangerous they would have passed the personality tests to be able to do that? I have the "bullie" breed they are short stocky and wide...
I agree 100% with this. I don't understand why pit bulls have the reputation as the ultimate killer dogs. At one time, German Shepherds were specifically trained to attack and kill and that's what they did. And they are still quite capable of it. So why when a shepherd or any other breed attacks someone or kills a child it isn't splashed all over the papers?

I have worked with animals for pretty much all my adult life, and I have seen some poorly trained, unsocialized dogs of ALL breeds. If someone takes on the responsibility of becoming a dog owner, it is their responsibility to train and control their dog. Some dogs, cats too for that matter, are NOT good with children. The breed may give it a tendency towards certain things, but each dog is an individual and it's ridiculous to assume ALL of a certain breed are dangerous because of some dogs of that breed. For every pit bull attack story you bring, I can bring another of a sweet, loving, and gentle pit bull.

In this case, I blame the PARENTS, not the dogs! This was a newborn, these people had no idea how their animals would react to it, and they left the baby alone with five dogs? It amazes me that people would blame animals instead of the two human beings who were responsible for the safety of their child.

BTW, I owned a pit bull once, who happened to be the sweetest and gentlest dog. In fact, she was submissive to even the cat! The cat was the bully. He would take his paw and swat her, and she would meekly scurry away. The problem is not the breed, but idiot owners. I feel bad that so many pit bulls are bred and trained to be aggressive, and I think the simplest solution for that is to require a breeders license to breed pit bulls, strict requirements to be a breeder, and for the breeders to make sure their dogs are going to responsible owners.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I wanted to chime in and put my two cents in on this case.

First and foremost I am extremely sadden for the loss of this poor baby. I think it is a terrible tragedy and like others before me have said who ever was to be watching these dogs and child was extremely neglient.

That said..I wanted to share my experience as a dog owner and a first time mom.

When I got pregnant with my son my relationship with my dog drastically changed. She was a friendly dog, never showed aggression and if anything she is the type of dog that wants to play and get along with other dogs. But four months into my pregnancy, she would growl at me for no reason and stopped listening to my commands. She would poop in my shoes and next to any thing that was new for the baby. I took her to the Vet and spent over $500 only to be told she is experiencing behavorial problems because she knows that the dynamics of the household are about to change. We trained and correct her behavior, by the time the baby came and we brought him home she was leery and stood away. She hated when he cried, barked and growled if he did. She was never left alone with him in a room. After awhile it all settled down.

The day she showed aggression was a year later when I was teaching him how to walk. My husband and I were teaching him how to walk and she was laying in her dog bed in the living room. We were in the kitchen. Literally a few minutes in, she got up ran as quick as lightning and lunged for the baby. My husband grabbed her by the neck in anger and threw her in the yard. He went out in the yard and yelled at her (like the dog would understand.). For a week we left her in the yard and then we considered giving her to a family member. But she never ever did it again and we were torn about giving her away after all we had her since a pup, lavished love and attention on her. She has traveled with us and been apart of our lives every day. The thought was heartbreaking but she never did it again. The dog and now toddler are the best of friends until......

Now...

I am pregnant again. The dog has shown aggression by pooping anywhere and everywhere in spite, growling at me and not listening to my husband or I's commands. She has been banned to the laundry room and yard. This time we are truly considering giving her up to a family member who knows the dog well and does not have young children. We would not shed a tear because we feel it would be the best for her.

I have come to the conclusion that dogs are extremely territorial even of their owners. I don't believe a dog makes the distinction of baby = human being/owner property. I believe that dogs look at a baby as 'threat' and will do anything to protect their territory.

I will say that I do not believe that pitbulls are the only dogs that will kill a child because I own a West Highland Terrier who looks exactly like the Lil Cesars dog and the day she lunged for my child was the first time I ever considered having her put down. I know that any dog has the potential to kill a child.

This time around we are not taking any chances, either she is confined to the laundry room or yard until she settles or she will be spending time with a new family.

It is heartbreaking and sad because when I have looked at getting a rescue dog before I got her, there are some dogs not just pits whose profiles clearly state that the dog would prefer to live in a home with either older children or alone with an owner. To me that speaks volumes that some dogs clearly cannot make a distinction or live with children because they are just territorial.

BTW I do not hate dogs, I love dogs. But at the end of the day she is still an animal and justifiably so must be treated as one.

Taking any chances? I would put a bullet in that dogs head and take no chances.

busta

Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Which begs the question why have them around children at all?

If a dog that doesn't show aggression will, suddenly, turn on it's owners, one should get rid of one that is showing aggression.
And THIS is why we have millions of dogs (and cats) being euthanized in shelters every year - because people think of them as disposable, and just "get rid of them" whenever it become inconvenient or slightly difficult to care for them. Don't want the responsibility of controlling a household with dogs & children? Simple solution, either don't have a dog in the first place or don't have children. If you do have a dog and then decide to have children, be aware that you'll have to be on-guard and in control of the situation at all times. Getting rid of them isn't a solution, it's plain laziness & usually a death sentence for the poor animal.

As somebody who's volunteered at rescues, quite frankly I'm sick of this type of attitude... people dumping off their "beloved pets" because they're moving, had/have kids, got a new job, and a myriad of other pathetic excuses. I've had my dog for almost 6 years now, and in that period I've moved 3 times, gone to (graduate) school, switched jobs & hours, almost every life change except for having children. Somehow I've still managed to keep him with me, even paying exorbitant rent & fees I can't really afford just to find a dog-friendly rental. It's called responsibility for another living being, people - learn it.

Sorry, this rant isn't necessarily directed at you, just a general rant about people's attitudes towards pets. And obviously if a dog suddenly becomes VICIOUS, it isn't a good pet to have around children... but I have a hard time believing that a gentle, loving dog will turn aggressive for no reason. There's always a reason behind that behavior, and it's the owner's duty to figure out the cause (and hopefully address it). If you absolutely can't solve the issue, at least have the courtesy of finding them a good re-home yourself - shooting/euthanizing or tossing them in a shelter is not the answer.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-07-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Oh, and as for this horrible incident with the baby?

1. As everyone has already stated, NO baby should be left alone with ANY dog - let alone 5 large/strong ones.

2. I love how everyone ignores the other 4 dogs, and is only focusing on the Pit Bull... how do we know who caused the fatality? Why are you assuming it was the Pit? As for the person who said "I can't remember the last time I heard of a dog attack not involving a Pit Bull," do some research! There are many many vicious dog attacks caused by other breeds, in fact Dalmatians & Chows usually rank higher on dangerous dog lists. There are good dogs and bad dogs, good owners and bad owners, but blanket discrimination against one breed is basically racism in pet form.

3. This was already pointed out, but a good number of supposed "Pits" involved in attacks are something else... either a bully mix, or completely different breed altogether. No pure Pit Bull weighs 100lbs, so that posted link is one good example. And how about the woman in San Francisco, who was brutally killed by her neighbors' Cane Corsos? No connection to the APBT whatsoever, and yet I remember people using that as fuel in the pit-banning fire.

And no, my dog is not a Pit - he's a 40lb mutt (Cattle Dog mix, most likely). He's also GREAT with kids, but I still wouldn't leave him unattended with a small child. I wouldn't even let him near my niece & nephew when they were babies, and now I'm always within arm's reach if he's around them. Luckily, the worst thing he's done is get their faces wet with kisses. I've never owned a Pit, and probably never will, but I do feel sorry for the breed discrimination. Some of the best dogs I've known have been APBTs!

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-07-2011 at 08:39 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Taking any chances? I would put a bullet in that dogs head and take no chances.

busta
Yeah, because it's the DOG'S fault she decided to have children. No offense to the parents, I just hate when dogs are killed or dumped for a choice the OWNER made... and if they aren't aware of (or able to control) the possible ramifications/risks, maybe they shouldn't be a dog owner with kids. Pick one - I did, and couldn't be happier as a fur/scale-baby-only parent. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime