Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,378,209 times

Advertisements

I always thought these guys were innocent.

Arkansas judge accepts plea deal, frees Memphis 3
Arkansas judge accepts plea deal, frees Memphis 3 - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Three men convicted of killing three 8-year-old Cub Scouts and dumping their bodies in an Arkansas ditch changed their pleas Friday, resolving a yearslong effort to win their freedom.
They spent 18 years in jail ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 AM

84 posts, read 277,935 times
This is wonderful to hear!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:35 PM

6,799 posts, read 5,686,776 times
Saw the documentary years ago... near the end of the show there was doubt raised about one of the victims step father... ?

They pleaded guilty and were sentenced to 18 years, time served, so I guess the system is off the hook but assuming there is major doubt in the guilt of these 3, now they have little recouse nor does the state pursue the REAL Killer(s). ??

Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 PM

92 posts, read 235,537 times
I have been cramming this site all day. I am tired of coerced confessions and prejudiced juries leading to convictions which stand for years and years. The first factor is almost entirely corrected by installing a camera in every interrogation room, but I don't know what to do about the second.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 PM

17 posts, read 31,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah TX View Post
I have been cramming this site all day. I am tired of coerced confessions and prejudiced juries leading to convictions which stand for years and years. The first factor is almost entirely corrected by installing a camera in every interrogation room, but I don't know what to do about the second.
thanks!!! That is an excellent website. Is there another website that tells the history of the West Memphis 3???? Any books, movies, or articles about the West Memphis 3???? Since their released this past Friday, I have been fascinated about the whole situation. Those guys got screwed big time!!!!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:03 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,323,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashtalk View Post
thanks!!! That is an excellent website. Is there another website that tells the history of the West Memphis 3???? Any books, movies, or articles about the West Memphis 3???? Since their released this past Friday, I have been fascinated about the whole situation. Those guys got screwed big time!!!!
Smashtalk,

There is a "48 Hours" special on the WMT. Incidentally, I watched this very episode for the second time just over a month ago, and had no idea that these three now men would be free soon. I drew my own conclusions that they were wrongly and unjustly convicted and imprisoned.

I do hope they get the help that they will need to adjust smoothly to life here on the outside.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:40 AM

13,417 posts, read 28,815,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Saw the documentary years ago... near the end of the show there was doubt raised about one of the victims step father... ?

They pleaded guilty and were sentenced to 18 years, time served, so I guess the system is off the hook but assuming there is major doubt in the guilt of these 3, now they have little recouse nor does the state pursue the REAL Killer(s). ??
Yes it sucks they have no recourse...I think the fact one of them was on death row was part of the reason they agreed to this...

Old 09-05-2011, 07:35 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,029,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yes it sucks they have no recourse...I think the fact one of them was on death row was part of the reason they agreed to this...
Sitting in prison for 18 years for a crime they did not commit must be devastating. Also, there is no guarantee with new trials. It's important to note that Judge Burnett railroaded the defense the entire trial and the prosecution found 12 people to convict with no evidence. The same circus could happen again. I commend Jason for "taking one for the team" to help his friend off of death row. That man has fortitude like no other.

I had not followed the case for a few years and had no idea new things were brewing. I was so excited when I read they were freed.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,804,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashtalk View Post
Devil's Knot and The Blood Of Innocents are the books on the case. Imagine putting a guy in prison for life for owning 11 black t-shirts.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,922,286 times
Kerry Max Cook (in Texas) was the longest running death row inmate in the history of the US, for a crime he did not commit. Over two decades after being on death row, and prior to a final trial after an appeal process, the prosecutor in his case offered a plea bargain if he plead guilty based on the amount of time he served and he was able to walk free. He took it prior to the trial.

Two years later his DNA was tested against semen on the underwear of the rape/murder victim and it did not match his. He is still on paper a convicted murderer because of the plea bargain and cannot recieve any compensation for the time he was incarcerated. The state did not pursue any charges against the man the DNA matched, which was an estranged ex-boyfriend of the victim. Justice was not servdd.

Kerry Max Cook's story

www.chasingjustice.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime