Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:02 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times

Advertisements

Very sad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:04 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
I live about 20 miles from there as the crow flies and has there ever been an explanation given as to what happened ? That was hard for the eleven year old to have been so close to it all. How could his father have said he loved him and his mother was an angel. He had to have been nuts. She was a pretty woman.

And, no, no one deserves to be beat to death with a baseball bat.........except child murderers maybe.......

Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,702 times
There is only two reasons why a spouse, would attack another spouse to death.

Some sorta sick, desire between the two.
Somebody did something to hurt the other spouse.

I think they went out, and Bea told him something. Then when they got home, he smack the living daylights out of her. Lets wait till we get home dear, like that bugs bunny cartoon, with daffy, and Elmer. Otherwise they were really, drunk or insane, and twisted. They got home, and decided to carry out that insane act, which went overboard. I would plea insanity, if I was him.

Cancer survivor.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:56 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
He didn't have to tell her twice.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:58 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I agree, for aluminum bats. Didn't God intend for baseball to be played with wood bats?
You are absolutely correct .... Louisville Slugger ... now that is a real bat!

Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I live about 20 miles from there as the crow flies and has there ever been an explanation given as to what happened ? That was hard for the eleven year old to have been so close to it all. How could his father have said he loved him and his mother was an angel. He had to have been nuts. She was a pretty woman.

And, no, no one deserves to be beat to death with a baseball bat.........except child murderers maybe.......
Not one word ... nothing in the newspapers or on TV ... the did have the grand jury hearing. In addition all I have read about the case is the children in the home that night will testify.

But nothing about the "why I beat my wife to death with a baseball bat has been released!"

Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 PM

Lawrence Dickey's trial was held this past December. Lawrence testified that he drank 11 beers and did two shots of tequila at the concert he and Bea attended. He told the jury he didn't remember returning home that night or getting a bat from the couple's garage.

He said he remembered leaving the concert and then nothing else until he found his wife bleeding.

The jury found him guilty of second degree murder which carries a 20 years to life in prison sentence. A Jan. 25 hearing was held and lawyers argued what sentence Judge Fuente should levy. I can't find anything on the sentencing so perhaps the judge hasn't made a decision yet.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,603 times
This is a horrible case. Domestic violence is a horrible crime. I have, on many occasions, written about this egregious act and no doubt, will continue to do so until it is eradicated completely. And, as long as people still believe it is all right to physically harm / attack their partners, as long as the system does not take this crime seriously enough, as long as the press continues to downplay the seriousness of domestic violence, as long as sentences are minimal or even worse, prosecutors opt to reduce the crime to a lesser offense, and there continues to be a lack of accountability on the part of the offender, domestic violence will continue to exist.

This may be part of a typical day in the world of law enforcement or in the world of arraignments and Court proceedings, however, never, in my opinion, should there be a status quo sentiment or apathetic sentiment within the domestic violence arena.

No, this is not the only case we have heard/read about; it is not going to be only case we hear about either. And, I for one, am grateful that there are people w/in this thread who do care, do voice their concerns and their ire when reading about these cases.

I think both writing about and venting [smile] are both constructive avenues; I also think that there are more things that we can do too.

One thing I have learned/observed and think is wonderful: so many victim/survivors of domestic violence step up to the plate - they become voices for others who have not yet been successful in leaving their abusive relationships; they participate in victim impact panels; they write books; they speak to their legislators - anything to help make a change.

This case is also horrible - this woman was so disfigured that if you choose to read more about her, be prepared to view some pretty horrible horrible pictures: Lye attack victim evaluated for face transplant - Boston.com

Fortunately in this case, her former partner was sentenced to 30+ years.

She is one of many [sadly] who speaks out and helps to "legislate" for continual funding re: Violence Against Women Act [VAWA] and if people on this site/thread, in addition to caring [which I certainly appreciate alot] want to do more, this is one venue to consider... writing to legislators.

And in this particular case, regardless of the fact that he 'confessed' - well that does not make him stellar at all - that should not negate the horrors of what he did to her and to those children - he deserves life.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
And let me add, this horrible crime might never have happened if this guy weren't drinking himself into a blackout on a weeknight, either.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:48 PM

I finally found out what happened to Lawrence Dickey. He was sentenced to 40 years in prison. Each of the four children did testify as they were all at home. Step-daughter found her step-mother still breathing. Bea's son called 911. All four teenagers in the house to see that nightmare.

Some of you have commented, well so what, one even said something about if she lived she would have had a dented head. Please don't read my post if you are such a hard-hearted hannah that cannot feel compassion for four young teenagers that walked into a bedroom and see their mother/step-mother's head bashed in. I assure you this is not something they will quickly forget.

Beatrice was a cancer survivor, double mastectomy, chemo treatments, lost all her hair. She survived that hell and then gets her head bashed in. NOBODY deserves to die having their head bashed in with a baseball bat. And as I have said before perhaps this is common for some of you but I have never heard of a mother dying this way and her children having to find her and call for help.

Man who killed wife with baseball bat gets 40 years in prison | Tampa Bay Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime