Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,587,680 times

Advertisements

Anne Scripps was a lovely woman who had 2 daughters and was heiress to Scripps publishing house fortune. She resided in Bronxville NY and was after divorce dating a younger man. Scott Douglas, he was her house painter and they eventually dated and married shortly.

At first it seemed a happy marriage. Ann was savvy financially and though she had millions it was kept in trust. This became an aggravation to her new husband who became also prone to fits of rage.

He eventually began hitting and threatening her. She was fouund dead (dec 1993) from a hammer he used, the hammer was found on the front seat of his BMW which he left idling on the bridge, as police found it. He committed suicide.

It is a very sad and common story of marital abuse, in that Ann feared for the life of her young daughter Visctoria (Tori) and kept hoping her husband would change for the better....She was a woman of means, and yet that did not help, she was psychologically dependent on this man....

story here
Anne Scripps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sadly her younger daughter Annie) also in the news (she found her mother after the murder) Annie committed suicide in 2009:

On September 25, 2009 the Huffington Post stated the New York State Police believe the Annie Morrell Petrillo, daughter of slain newspaper heiress Anne Scripps Douglas with first ex-husband Anthony Morrell, had jumped to her death from the same bridge her stepfather Scott Douglas jumped from on January 1, 1994 after murdering his wife.

This is such a sad story and she seemed like a wonderful woman and mother

http://www.khurak.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/anne-scripps-douglas-150x150.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 09:28 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Wow, what interesting piece. sounds like something that Dominick Dunne would write about. I miss that guy.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 PM

They had an LMN movie about it entitled "Daughters'. Roxanne hart plays Anee Scripps. Its is so sad....I was in NY when that happened and had lost my Mom in an accident a few years earlier, it just has resonance...

and now her poor daughter too

Daughters (TV 1998) - IMDb

Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Wow, what interesting piece. sounds like something that Dominick Dunne would write about. I miss that guy.
I miss Dominick too! I miss the old Court TV format of shows.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 PM

I used to like his show on A&E i think it was-he had alot of the murder mysteries, a 1 hr documentary.

This story is just so sad bcs of how the family suffered after, and the youngest daughter Tori I just read online had some legal trouble with drugs. She witnessed Scott bludgeoning her mother, she was a 3 yr old infant in the bedroom.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Yes it seems like violence against women never ends . For all those lost lives it is so sad and it carries a history because it lives on in their children . Very sad indeed . Yes I watched that movie and when are we going to get rid of these judges who put the rights of the criminal in front of the victim ? I say when a judge rules against a victim get them out of the chair and the office they hold .

Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 AM

The female judge (I will have to look it up) was sued in mid 90's I believe by Mrs Scrippps mother, family law judges sometimes live in a bubble, they never restricted the husband (even after multiple 911 calls and violence, etc) from getting back to her house.

What makes it worse is the crimes of these sociopaths visit on the children and grandchildren....kind of like the OJ case and the kids grow up with problems too.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:12 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Please find out what you can about the suit against the judge...I am curious to know.

The whole justice system is screwed up. Just like poor little Ethan Stacey. His mother was a nut case. His Dad got custody but she never lost her parental rights, I guess. The judge never saw the info from CPS here in Florida about her background and she ruled that that evil witch should have visits with Ethan. In a matter of days after the "mother" got him, she and her boyfriend had tortured and killed him. Then they beat his face with a hammer, hoping no one would recognize him when he was found. Sorry basXXXXX. The judge said she didn't know, her hands were tied.......

This happens way too often.

By the way, Carolina Woman, I miss the old court TV message boards, when they were being run properly.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:31 PM

omg thats so horiffic. Scott Douglas used a claw hammer on Anne. The three yr old witnessed it. Now she has drug issues....I will post a link tmrw. These stories are so haunting, it makes u believe there is no justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime