Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:03 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times

Advertisements

Kimberly Fry was found guilty today of second degree murder today. She strangled her 8 year old daughter to death in August 2009. She now faces the possibility of life in prison. The judge said the sentencing phase would not take place for up to six weeks.

Fry had no visible reaction as the verdict was read, in sharp contrast to her emotional demeanor throughout the three-week-long trial.

Jury Finds Kimberly Fry Guilty of Daughter's Murder Narragansett, RI Patch

Camden Fry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 05:28 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
I just read a few articles on the case as I had not previously heard about it.

For the most part, it does seem like Fry lost her temper with a difficult child. However, I read several comments stating Fry abused the girl. Is there any veracity to this statement?

Camden must have been absolutely terrified.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:53 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I just read a few articles on the case as I had not previously heard about it.

For the most part, it does seem like Fry lost her temper with a difficult child. However, I read several comments stating Fry abused the girl. Is there any veracity to this statement?

Camden must have been absolutely terrified.
This news video says the medical examiner's report said Camden was sexually abused. That didn't come out in court.

RI mom to face trial for daughter's 2009 death

Then the Independent news indicated the same thing. The court records in Washington County Superior Court include findings from the state Medical Examiner’s Office that Camden had been sexually assaulted on more than one occasion. The report also stated there were both old and new bruises that were signs of recent and past sexual assaults.

It seems the doctor doing the autopsy had a criminal record. So they must have decided not to use his report.

Sure is strange!! I sincerely hope the doc was wrong and the child didn't suffer sexual abuse too.

North Kingstown - East Greenwich Independent

I think some women are not mother material and there is nothing wrong with that ... if they can't handle a child they don't need to have them.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:53 PM

5,580 posts, read 6,506,670 times
Why does it take so long to sentence someone? There are guidelines that could be looked at during the trial, so upon "Guilty" the sentence could/should be stated then and there. No wonder our jails are overcrowded.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:30 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Why does it take so long to sentence someone? There are guidelines that could be looked at during the trial, so upon "Guilty" the sentence could/should be stated then and there. No wonder our jails are overcrowded.
Because there is a process that is followed. That's why. Ordinarily, when a guilty verdict is returned sentencing is delayed to allow the defense time to file any post-trial motions. Its typical in a case involving murder with an extremely long prison sentence pending that the defense will file a motion for a mistrial. Ninety-eight percent of these motions are denied. However, the system does require that they at least get heard and that the trial court make a ruling. Its also not uncommon to have other kinds of motions. One motion that is sometimes filed is a "motion to reduce the offense to a lower category". In a few cases, the evidence may not support a jury's verdict for first degree murder, but might support it for second degree murder. In such a case, it would be appropriate for the court to grant the relief requested. After post trial motions have been ruled on, than its appropriate for the court to set the matter for sentencing. Ordinarily, a report from the probation office is requested to help the court determine what is the appropriate sentence. Typically, in murder cases the offender is going to prison period. However, the probation office makes a recommendation and the court either follows it or departs from it. The prosecution may also desire to file a written memorandum on sentencing if there is something they disagree with in a probation report. When all these things are completed than sentencing is appropriate.

Finally, unless the offender is out on bail really nothing is lost by following this process. They remain in custody while the whole thing is going on--as they will for the pendency of their prison sentence.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:42 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Defense attorneys stall as long as they can at every stage of a trial; it's a standard tactic now. The "right to a speedy trial" has gone out the window in favor of the "right to stall until the witnesses forget what they were going to say on the stand, or die of old age." The longer they stall, the less chance of conviction. That's why Robert Blake fired 3 attorneys and had to start all over on his defense each time. It was to stall.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:23 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post

I think some women are not mother material and there is nothing wrong with that ... if they can't handle a child they don't need to have them.
I agree, but you know, I'm not a pet person either...but I would never mistreat one if it ended up in my back yard or in my care.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I'm not sure if the sexual abuse part is fact, but if it is so, could she have been jealous of her daughter? I had a friend in high school who's mother hated her....and she had a dad who touched her.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:34 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
I am a mother of child with SN. They can be very, very VERY difficult to raise. Thankfully, I have a great support system and it seems like this mom did as well. To me, it seems like she would have been abusive whether the child had SN or not.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Because there is a process that is followed. That's why. Ordinarily, when a guilty verdict is returned sentencing is delayed to allow the defense time to file any post-trial motions. Its typical in a case involving murder with an extremely long prison sentence pending that the defense will file a motion for a mistrial. Ninety-eight percent of these motions are denied. However, the system does require that they at least get heard and that the trial court make a ruling. Its also not uncommon to have other kinds of motions. One motion that is sometimes filed is a "motion to reduce the offense to a lower category". In a few cases, the evidence may not support a jury's verdict for first degree murder, but might support it for second degree murder. In such a case, it would be appropriate for the court to grant the relief requested. After post trial motions have been ruled on, than its appropriate for the court to set the matter for sentencing. Ordinarily, a report from the probation office is requested to help the court determine what is the appropriate sentence. Typically, in murder cases the offender is going to prison period. However, the probation office makes a recommendation and the court either follows it or departs from it. The prosecution may also desire to file a written memorandum on sentencing if there is something they disagree with in a probation report. When all these things are completed than sentencing is appropriate.

Finally, unless the offender is out on bail really nothing is lost by following this process. They remain in custody while the whole thing is going on--as they will for the pendency of their prison sentence.
Thank you for this. Very clear. I tend to think it takes too long to work through. I found the essentially same process in reading the trial transcripts(sp ?) of the partner of Stella Kiser, Jesse Compton, in trying to set aside the death sentence he was under. Other than the horror of what happened to that poor, poor child, it was a fascinating look at the workings of the law.

I appreciate your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime