Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 02:25 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times

Advertisements

A Summary of forensics from the car and Caylees remains.
There wasn't much to go on and they battled the forensics back and forth and confused the jury. Tho I believe the Foreperson and another juror did take notes.

If Jeff Ashton hadn't trumped up the charges, the jurors might have found CA guilty, she'd be in jail.

THE FORENSICS -
There were 2 crime scenes where one would expect to find forensic evidence - the trunk of the car and the trash dump - but due to events that occurred at each of these, there was almost a complete lack of forensics. When the car was retrieved from Johnson's, Cindy cleaned the car, and this did away with most of the forensic evidence there.

A blowfly leg was found in the trunk by Dr. Haskell. This is significant because blowflies only colonize a body in the first two or three days after a person dies, and they only lay their eggs on dead flesh. There can only be one reason any blowfly parts were in that trunk - there was a dead body in that trunk. In addition, some late colonizer fly larvae were found in the paper towels that had adipocere on them in one of the trash bags. One of Caylee's hairs from the trunk showed postmortem root banding.

Had Cindy not cleaned the car out, there would be a great deal more entomological and other forensic evidence. It is also very possible that Casey had cleaned the trunk as well as evidenced by the paper towels that had adipocere on them in the trash bags.

At the trash dump, the body and everything associated with it was exposed to the Florida summer elements for 5 or 6 months; the remains were also partly submerged for some of that time due to the fact that during summer rains, the area where her body was often flooded. This kind of environment is not conducive to preserving forensic evidence such as DNA since hot, humid weather is a major factor in DNA deterioration. By the time the remains were found, Caylee's body had become a complete skeleton, and any DNA, trace or otherwise, associated with it was long gone.

The forensic expert also stated that duct tape was covering the mouth of the skeleton, though he was unsure what had covered the nose openings.

Garavaglia was the medical examiner that performed the autopsy twice and sent the post-mortem samples to be tested for toxicology as well, which came back negative. She acknowledged, however, that she did not expect to find any substances like chloroform in the bones, and that the absence of positive results for toxicity did not exclude the acute use of them.

Though she could not determine the exact manner of death, she believed the method of death was homicide. She sustained that she could reach conclusions based on the condition of the 2-year-old’s remains and other factors including the duct tape wrapped around her skull.
“The fact that there’s duct tape anywhere attached to that child’s face is to me indication that it’s homicide.”

The next witness, FBI forensic toxicologist Madeline Montgomery, offered similarly inconclusive testimony. She stated that her lab was asked to test samples from the hair found with Caylee’s skull for Xanax and Klonopin, drugs commonly used to calm someone down or put them to sleep. She explained that the method they used also tested the samples for nine other drugs, including Valium, Rohypnol and ketamine. Results for all of those drugs were negative.

FBI forensic geologist Maureen Bottrell said that testing of soil from shoes found in Casey Anthony’s parents’ house did not match soil from the area off Suburban Drive where Caylee’s remains were found. On cross examination, though, she agreed with prosecutor Jeff Ashton that a lack of soil was essentially “meaningless” and it did not prove that those shoes were never there.

Dr. Michael Sigman of the University of Central Florida told the jury about air sample tests he conducted for law enforcement on the trunk of Casey Anthony’s Pontiac Sunfire. Prosecution expert Dr. Arpad Vass had said earlier in the trial that chemical compounds found during his air tests indicated the presence of human decomposition, but Sigman was less committal with his findings.
“I could not conclusively determine” that human remains had been in the trunk, Sigman said, although he got low responses from his instruments for the presence of three chemicals associated with decomposition, including chloroform. Gasoline was the primary compound identified, which he acknowledged was not surprising since the samples were collected from a car in a garage.

Rickenbach identified a Gatorade bottle found in a red Disney bag near Caylee’s remains. There was a small amount of a murky white liquid inside that could have come from a cleaning product and a mixture of testosterone compounds. Rickenbach said there was also a syringe inside the bottle containing an oily yellow substance. He detected testosterone and low levels of chloroform in that liquid.

Last edited by virgode; 11-04-2011 at 02:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 03:47 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Can we please get back to the topic at hand which is that the jurors names have been released.

We already had a lengthy thread about this case and what we thought about the verdict and why we thought it and what we deemed was or was not evidence and finger pointing about who watched more of it as compared to another.....we already went through this!

The title of this thread is, "Witness List Released 10/25/11...I wonder how much their life will change..."

So let's PLEASE get back to that.

I have served on three juries now and to be honest, I don't recall ever being told that our names would be released to the public. I find that unsettling and agree with others who say that if they ever find themselves being asked to serve on a jury for a gang member or whatever, knowing that those people and their friends/family can gain access to my name doesn't sit well with me.

So if they don't like the verdict I gave, they can easily find me. Lovely. That really makes me gung ho for the next time I'm called up.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:01 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Can we please get back to the topic at hand which is that the jurors names have been released.

We already had a lengthy thread about this case and what we thought about the verdict and why we thought it and what we deemed was or was not evidence and finger pointing about who watched more of it as compared to another.....we already went through this!

The title of this thread is, "Witness List Released 10/25/11...I wonder how much their life will change..."

So let's PLEASE get back to that.

I have served on three juries now and to be honest, I don't recall ever being told that our names would be released to the public. I find that unsettling and agree with others who say that if they ever find themselves being asked to serve on a jury for a gang member or whatever, knowing that those people and their friends/family can gain access to my name doesn't sit well with me.

So if they don't like the verdict I gave, they can easily find me. Lovely. That really makes me gung ho for the next time I'm called up.
As far as those talking about juries for gang members and such, special excepions are sometimes made in those insrances, so it doesn't really work as an excuse to wiggle out of your civic duty to serve on a jury.

As far as the topic of this thread, It has all been about the jury so is relatively on topic.

We can either discuss these things here or we can have 10 different threads polluting the TC forum all discussing different aspects of the case but staying rigidly on topic, what would most prefer?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Fixed.
That is so wrong and I thought was against the TOS.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:00 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think what occurred was a miscarriage of justice. The evidence was there to make out a case of first degree murder against her. The jury simply wasn't willing to accept the evidence. Its rare, but sometimes that happens.

I don't think the state of Florida did a bad job. I think there were limitations that they had to work within and it lead to a number of difficulties. The major difficulty was that the body of Caylee Anthony was not found until it was very decomposed. This lead to a number of evidentiary problems. The second problem is a common one. There were no eyewitnesses to the crime. Much of the evidence revolved around expert testimony. I think America has been "dumbed-down" over the years by inadequate public education. Also, there is a large amount of suspicion and paranoia present in our country that I don't see as much of in other countries. Its the kind of thing that leads jurors to assume irrationally that "evidence is planted" or that the police routinely "frame people" charged with crimes. However, many jurors are suspicious of "expert testimony" and don't accept it at face value. This same paranoia lead some jurors to believe George Anthony must have had something to do with the crime--despite any proof that he did.

I think it was a cardinal mistake to seek the death penalty in this case. Too much about how Caylee Anthony actually died is unknown. I accept she was killed by her mother, but much of how it happened is speculation. Under these circumstances, the death penalty should have been taken completely off the table.

Its one thing to critique a lawyer's performance after a trial has ended and find fault with it. Its another thing completely to have to sit in court, day after day, and do your best work every minute and every hour. When you have to always stay within the rules its stressful, hectic, and wears you down. The pros know how to do it best. I don't find much to fault with the state here.
Thank you so much for this post. Well said and I agree 100%. I have no personal animosity (sp) against Casey Anthony. I think she killed her child, possibly accidently but carelessly. I think the jurors shirked their duty shamelessly. Would I go and hunt them down for it. No.
I just find it sad.

Re Notary Public personal information. http://notaries.dos.state.fl.us/NotSearch.asp (broken link)

edit: I clicked on the url and it gave me an error code but, it was where I was and I saw some of my personal info. If not believed, can go to the DOS and find it. No big deal. Different states have different definitions of public information, I guess.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:24 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
Has there ever been a case where a juror has been murdered?

Old 11-05-2011, 07:55 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Murder statistics on jurors shouldn't be the criteria for non-disclosure of names. Thats like not putting up a traffic light at a bad intersection until theres a death.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:41 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Murder statistics on jurors shouldn't be the criteria for non-disclosure of names. Thats like not putting up a traffic light at a bad intersection until theres a death.
I asked a question, didn't ask for a lecture.
I have never heard of one being murdered, has anyone?

Old 11-05-2011, 05:51 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Good question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Which is often what happens.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:03 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
Thus far they haven't shown up on 20/20 or In Session. Barbara Wawa is probably hot and heavy after them ... but with the Baez-Geraldo friendship ... if they decide to speak they may show up with an interview by Geraldo. But I do recall in their final moments before they left the jury room one of the alternates said they make a pact to stay silent. Even though that one juror already had contacted an agent to sell his info with bidding starting at $50k ... so much for pacts. lol

I wonder if any have had their yards TP ... or slashed tires ... rotten eggs. I doubt it very seriously that anything has happened to any juror which it is the way it should be. I would hate to see them harassed as they certainly didn't asked to be there. I am sure the media is giving them a hard time wanting 'the story.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime