Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:28 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,322,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
You been smoking a doobie!? lol
If you'd like to match wits...I'll demonstrate which among us is more likely to 'smoke doobie'....(whatever the heck that is)

Enough of the condescending remarks...

If you'd like to comment on my post fine...if not.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 03:46 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,409,308 times
I dont think it would bother me if I KNEW they did it. If they were in the act of hurting my family I doubt I'd hesitate or sweat it. I want to say it wouldn't bother me in a state execution, but again I think it would matter if I KNEW or believed I knew he/she did this thing I was executing them for. Honestly I have much more faith in MY ability to decide guilt than the courts. I can sure see a warden or some simple state employee, with little or no knowledge of the case, only doing his job, ending up with issues. He cant KNOW that the guy did it, he certainly knows that courts make mistakes & he may kill innocent people.....and get paid for it.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:15 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,840,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
If you'd like to match wits...I'll demonstrate which among us is more likely to 'smoke doobie'....(whatever the heck that is)

Enough of the condescending remarks...

If you'd like to comment on my post fine...if not.....
For gods sake lighten up, was just joking!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
For gods sake lighten up, was just joking!

I'm sorry...I don't know what I was thinking...
Maybe I thought you were someone else...

Old 12-05-2011, 05:07 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,840,005 times
Well you have hurt my feelings so I can't accept, maybe I'll forgive you in TIME, we just need our SPACE! No pun intended!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Well you have hurt my feelings so I can't accept, maybe I'll forgive you in TIME, we just need our SPACE! No pun intended!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:15 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,959,692 times
I don't mean to hurt feelings but I didn't understand your post Time and Space as relative to 'killing another person." Yes, we are guaranteed two things in life death and taxes. I still don't think I could pull the switch or administer the injection to a convict and I don't want to ever witness an execution.

Now if someone broke into our home and bodily harm was a threat I could shoot. Going to the firing range I can hit a knee cap rather than a kill shot which I can do too at the range. But if anyone broke in on us and I did shoot out a knee cap the courts would have me keeping up the person and their family the rest of their life and mine too.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I don't mean to hurt feelings but I didn't understand your post Time and Space as relative to 'killing another person." Yes, we are guaranteed two things in life death and taxes. I still don't think I could pull the switch or administer the injection to a convict and I don't want to ever witness an execution.

Now if someone broke into our home and bodily harm was a threat I could shoot. Going to the firing range I can hit a knee cap rather than a kill shot which I can do too at the range. But if anyone broke in on us and I did shoot out a knee cap the courts would have me keeping up the person and their family the rest of their life and mine too.
But you do understand...because you just re summerized every principle of my post....only you did it in a way you understand...and that's common...

Almost like repeating what someone else says for clarification...only it sounded more firmiluar coming from yourself...

Let me explain....

This whole thread all comes down to 'the conscious'....and morals...

Which comes first...the conscious or morals?

Does one need morals to 'activate' the conscious?

Or would the conscious already be there without morals?

Refer to the baby being raised by a pack of wolves tale...
To that baby growing up...the wolves activities and ways are his morals...

Many people (and I'm just being general to keep it short and simple) in the West traditional had morals rooted in the Judeo/Christian bible...the 10 commandments ect ect...

And one of those harkened on most of us was 'Thou shall not kill'...which activated the conscious...(if one buys into that theory)....

So, in the post your refering too...I simply made reference to Genesis when God said 'Let us create man in our image'...

And of course we know image implies more than just physical looks...it also implies moods, and to some extent behavior as well....

Well if you read the whole bible...one realizes Gods moods are very wide and varied, depending on situations...

Sometimes he's in a mood to love and forgive, other times he's in a mood to wipe out the whole world with a flood....and everything inbetween...

Which kind of demonstrates even with God, there's a time and place for everything...and if mans created in his image, that would be reflected in man as well...even concerning 'death' or 'killing'....

This is not a anti, or pro anything...it's just excercising critical thinking to better understand a topic or subject and or our behavior...

And you demonstrated with your response that even to yourself...there's a time and place for different reactions within oneself...

You set up two different scenerios, and two different reactions to those scenerios...time and place...or if ya prefer...time and space...good day ma'am....

Old 12-10-2011, 05:58 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,960,707 times
Quote:
I knew a boy who went to my school who killed someone in a fight. He was set upon by 3 guys he fought back and 1 of them fell and hit his head, it was caught on cctv and he was found not guilty (although he spent time on remand) I haven't seen him since he has cut off all contact with his group of friends, and I have been told he is now on heroin it sounds like even though he was only protecting himself it has really effected his life.
Thank you for sharing this. I used to be for capital punishment and thought I'd be tough enough to do it myself, but there are so many things that I have run across in life that are pointing out that I was wrong and they have little to do with feeling touchy-feely about the guilty perp.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:03 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,960,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I always here 'Man was made in the image of God'...

Not nessicarily an exact physical image, but like phycological image...the conscious and all that...heart, love, rage, ect ect...

I need to be careful how I write this so that I don't confuse myself or others to what I'm asking or implying...

So I'll just get to the meat of my thought, and go from there...

'God doesn't seem to have a problem with death or dying, so why does man?'

Ok there, I said it...now I can better deal with that raw thought that came to mind as I was reading other posts...

Everyone who survived the Titanic, is now dead...everyone who survived WWI...is now dead...

Whether you get excuted or not...you die...
Executioners from 200 years ago, those who carried out state punishment...are now dead...

Dead just seems to be the end game no matter what you do.

Heck, the life span of some insects is less than 2 days...after two days, they die....

In the old testiment, God wanted to practically wipe out whole villages, animals, kids, adults, to clear a path for Isreal...
He also wiped out the whole planet with the flood...
Sodom and Gamorah with fire....

And again i go back to 'Lets make man in our image'....

From reading the bible, I see Gods image, ways, and moods are very wide....

Sometimes 'god' says, or said 'kill', then other times 'god' said 'forgive'...

Just seemed to depend on circumstance, time, and season....

So if man indeed is created in the image of 'god'...than like god...

Maybe to it is with man....maybe within each person, community, society...

There is a time to 'punish' a time to 'kill', a time to 'love', and a time to 'forgive'....

Because God himself did all those things...

I don't know...just searching like the rest of you...
Now that you bring THAT up, I think that God acted like a moody woman going through her changes(sorry, ladies). I have no respect for a God who practices genocide and throws tantrums in such a capricious manner. I don't think God, if it exists, is like that being in the Old Testament who is basically a made up character to preserve some primitive tribe.

There are many other religions in the world, many ideas about the human spirit and worlds both seen and unseen. Please do yourself a favor and explore some of them. Don't think that God, if He exists is to be found solely within the pages of the bible. Our culture may not have the highest representation of things spiritual.

Civilization would do well to follow another example than this warring jealous character, or with today's capabilities we will undoubtedly end up exterminating each other.

You may think this is about morals and consciousness, but there could be more at play here. If there were a soul, if there were an appointed time for each life, some sort of karmic thing, then perhaps there could be other forces at play in why these people involved with killing another are pursued by that action. We much more easily kill other animals on a regular basis for food.

If you insist on looking at this in a Western context then compare the OT God to Chirst. Who did Christ kill? Even when he healed that possessed person he made the demons go into the pigs, no? The demons caused the pig to off himself, not Christ.

The thing that gets me is that this matter of 'conscience' (and I think it may be deeper than that) troubles even those who are justified, who are protecting their own life or that of others.

Last edited by goldengrain; 12-10-2011 at 06:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime