Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 02:07 PM

455 posts, read 632,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't know about that. It is easier to have that crime result in death of others.

There is a difference, though, between driving down a deserted country road at night at a slow speed and doing the speed limit on a highway around rush hour.
The danger was already there ! 80% of fatalaties are sober drivers !

It should be a serious infraction, like criminal speeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,918,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think, for a minor crime like using drugs or petty shoplifting, a person should have a way to clear their record, maybe have it automatically clear (like driving infractions do) over so much time, with an option to speed the process if you do community service after you get out, drug counseling or something.

Theft from those you work for, I would not be lenient about, or invading a person's home or threatening a person.
They already do have a way of clearing their record for most misdemeanor crimes and even some low level felony crimes in most states. In my state it's called ARD which requires the defendant to fulfill certain requirements, such as counseling or community service while also staying out of trouble, for a 6 month or 1 year probationary period before the record is erased. However, the reason a lot of people don't get this offer or don't know about this is because most criminal defendants use public defenders, most of whom are extremely overburdened with other cases and can't devote much time on one case, or low cost private criminal defense attorney's who don't attempt (probably because they don't spend much time on the case as a result of not being paid much) or don't know how to properly negotiate the charge down.

Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by bicoastal10; 01-16-2012 at 05:28 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
They already do have a way of clearing their record for most misdemeanor crimes and even some low level felony crimes in most states. In my state it's called ARD which requires the defendant to fulfill certain requirements, such as counseling or community service while also staying out of trouble, for a 6 month or 1 year probationary period before the record is erased. However, the reason a lot of people don't get this offer or don't know about this is because most criminal defendants use public defenders, most of whom are extremely overburdened with other cases and can't devote much time on one case, or low cost private criminal defense attorney's who don't attempt (probably because they don't spend much time on the case as a result of not being paid much) or don't know how to properly negotiate the charge down.

Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.
Thanks. This is good to know, but sad that people are not informed of this possibility, at least when they are released.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The average American commits three felonies a day, according to attorney Harvey Silvergate.
Harvey Silverglate, isnt he convicted murderer Jeffrey McDonalds criminal attorney?.

I dont think a felony is "average". But a kid stealing an i-pod as mentioned above is hardly equivalent to manslaughter. We wouldnt have enough room in prisons, which are already filled to the brim thoughout the U.S.

non-violent crimes are separate from those that are intent to harm, and its ridiculous if a kid shoplifts at age 18, and ten years later he cant get a decent job bcs he stole say a 10.00 item.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:33 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

non-violent crimes are separate from those that are intent to harm, and its ridiculous if a kid shoplifts at age 18, and ten years later he cant get a decent job bcs he stole say a 10.00 item.
He's 18. He's not a kid. He's an adult.
I do agree though that I don't see the point of people having criminal records not allowing them to get a job. It's like the system is enouraging them to commit more crime and not go straight. You do the crime, you do the time and then you're set free. Clean slate once probation/parole is up. You shouldn't release the person if you think their that much a menace to society that they should be banned from getting a job at walmart.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:44 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
He's 18. He's not a kid. He's an adult.
I do agree though that I don't see the point of people having criminal records not allowing them to get a job. It's like the system is enouraging them to commit more crime and not go straight. You do the crime, you do the time and then you're set free. Clean slate once probation/parole is up. You shouldn't release the person if you think their that much a menace to society that they should be banned from getting a job at walmart.
I agree, though if they stole money and apply for a job where they are handling cash and it's right after they got out of the big house, maybe I'd think otherwise.

You'd think something could be worked out, though. There is a difference between white collar people who are already making a good salary and are just greedy and those who have to really struggle for everything they get and their value system just slips. These people start out with a lot against them, go to prison, and come back to the same bad situation WITH the prison record?

There should be a better way, especially if they are not repeat offenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime