Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

I'm just finishing up Edwin J. Delattre's Character and Cops, Ethics in Policing.
One interesting point that came up, is if we required the police all to have 4-year college degrees, it would help make the police forces more ethical, less predjudice/biases/racial profiling, less temptation for corruption. In Boston, you get paid 20% more if you have 2-year college degree, 30% more if you have a 4-year degree.

The author roundly criticized this idea, pointing out to the corrupt college-educated attorneys and judges and any number of other professionals with 4-year college degrees, who were tempted with corruption.

He was also saying that there are any number of well-qualified high school graduates who would make honorable police officers. And I agree!

Interesting book, at any rate!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:29 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Interesting book to read..."The New Jim Crow Laws", how society makes it legal to discriminate against felons. And discusses racial implications of the incarceration of black men. A different perspective on the legal system, and our system of incarceration, and lack of integration of felons after release, thus continuing the cycle of poverty and crime. I did not agree with all of the information presented in the book. But, found it a good book for reflection on some issues.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:51 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Test your knowledge! If you score 50% or lower, you are a True Crime novice. If you are 80%, you are an expert.

What a fun bunch we are!

Serial Killer Quiz - Serial Pursuit Trivia Quiz

Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Test your knowledge! If you score 50% or lower, you are a True Crime novice. If you are 80%, you are an expert.

What a fun bunch we are!

Serial Killer Quiz - Serial Pursuit Trivia Quiz

60%

Old 06-19-2012, 06:37 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Some of the most horrendous true crime books I've read have involved poisoning as a choice to kill someone. The Preacher's Daughter comes to mind who killed 2 of her previous husbands, employing arsenic, and the 3rd one miraculously survived, which is when she got caught. They dug up the corpses of the last 2 husbands, and only then did they find traces of arsenic.

This poor guy would show signs of recovery, and she'd come to the hospital with some homemade soup, laced with more arsenic, he'd relapse, and it would start all over again! "Here honey, eat this soup, it will make you stronger!"

Ann Rule's Last Dance, Last Chance was a book I'll never forget. She was repeatedly poisoned by her husband, a Doctor. The recovery process from poisoning is a long, long process, called chelation therapy. Have no idea how she had the will to go through all that, but her kids acted as cheerleaders!

And? Being that he didn't kill her, she survived, you can't bring murder charges, only attempted murder charges. Yes, he did go to prison, but he most definitely deserved the Death Sentence for all the agony she went through!
I've read both bone-chilling stories of Judy Goodyear/Buenoano (executed for her crimes in 1998) and Anthony Pignataro who invented the bolts to snaps hairpiece. Two of the many classic sociopaths who walk among us undetected even by those who are close to them. It is a scary thought that somebody who is devoid of "conscience" could be a loved one who can perpetrate evil deeds without remorse or even a backward glance.

Last edited by ans57; 06-19-2012 at 08:05 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,770 times
65% to the serial killer quiz. Lol.

I am currently reading a book called Devil in the White City. It is about the true story of a serial killer at the World's Fair in Chicago. Highly interesting both from a historical point of view, as well as from a true crime point of view. I'm not finished with it yet so I'll have to let y'all know how it turns out, but so far so good!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,104 times
Hi ,new here I was looking for the latest on the Tammi Peters Smith on her upcomming sentcing for
July 6,2012. is there a thread for her? Thanks so much!

Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm just finishing up Edwin J. Delattre's Character and Cops, Ethics in Policing.
One interesting point that came up, is if we required the police all to have 4-year college degrees, it would help make the police forces more ethical, less predjudice/biases/racial profiling, less temptation for corruption. In Boston, you get paid 20% more if you have 2-year college degree, 30% more if you have a 4-year degree.

The author roundly criticized this idea, pointing out to the corrupt college-educated attorneys and judges and any number of other professionals with 4-year college degrees, who were tempted with corruption.

He was also saying that there are any number of well-qualified high school graduates who would make honorable police officers. And I agree!

Interesting book, at any rate!
Thats probably true, but a degree in Criminal Justice doesn't hurt.

I'm not sure about our county LE, I'm almost certain a degree is a requirement for State Police new recruits, in PA and DE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velva
Hi ,new here I was looking for the latest on the Tammi Peters Smith on her upcomming sentcing for
July 6,2012. is there a thread for her? Thanks so much!

Yes, didn't follow that case...heres the thread on Tammi Smith.
Are you Following Baby Gabriel Case?

Last edited by virgode; 07-12-2012 at 01:30 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,021,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
60%

Got 50% even though I only knew the answers to a couple of them. Detective work, deduction, pop psychology and cultural references did the rest.

For example there is an indie/rock band called Kasabian so that name immediately stuck out as did the fact that Bundy mastered Psychology when helping police hunt another monster serial killer.

Anyway, very interesting and revealing nontheless.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
test your knowledge! If you score 50% or lower, you are a true crime novice. If you are 80%, you are an expert.

What a fun bunch we are!

serial killer quiz - serial pursuit trivia quiz
70%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime