Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The trial for a Texas cancer researcher accused of poisoning her jilted lover's coffee with a colorless and odorless chemical found in antifreeze begins Monday.
Dr. Ana Maria Gonzalez-Angulo is accused of poisoning her lover, fellow cancer researcher Dr. George Blumenschein.
The breast cancer oncologist laced Blumenschein's coffee with ethylene glycol, a deadly chemical used in antifreeze, last year, say prosecutors.
When Blumenshein told Gonzalez-Angulo he thought his coffee tasted "sweet," she allegedly told him it just was Splenda, according to court documents.
and

Quote:
They allegedly recorded her on the telephone claiming she had "people assassinated and that she takes care of things the Colombian way."
Texas Cancer Doctor Accused of Poisoning Lover Heads to Trial - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,376,135 times
Just because someone has the intelligence, education, and a doctorate degree to work in in cancer research or any other such field, doesn't necessarily mean they are a well adjusted & decent human being.... as this case illustrates. Wouldn't be the first time a highly educated & respected professional tried to kill, or actually did, kill someone.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:48 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Just because someone has the intelligence, education, and a doctorate degree to work in in cancer research or any other such field, doesn't necessarily mean they are a well adjusted & decent human being.... as this case illustrates. Wouldn't be the first time a highly educated & respected professional tried to kill, or actually did, kill someone.
Like astronauts?

As a scientist, the accused is probably smart enough to figure if the ethyl would work when mixed with coffee or not.........maybe. A lot of people just do assume, no matter how smart they are.

Once on The New Detectives, there was a case where someone put cyanide in the water cooler. The people who used the water to make their coffee didn't die, the one who filled her water bottle did. Now, looking back on that, I have to wonder why because they were all receiving the same dosage. Did the heating of the water destablize the cyanide? Did it bind with the coffee grounds or did the filter action reduce the amount of poison in each cup? A combination of all, some of the elements perhaps?

I've never gone back and researched that nor bothered my profs on it.....but still. So here we have a case involving coffee....does this poison work the same in that as it does in water?

Finally, does this mean not to have me on the jury if I think like this? No. For there would be motive, there would be oppurtunity, there would be method. Just because science might not be their strong suit wouldn't be a reason to excuse them.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:21 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Like astronauts?

As a scientist, the accused is probably smart enough to figure if the ethyl would work when mixed with coffee or not.........maybe. A lot of people just do assume, no matter how smart they are.

Once on The New Detectives, there was a case where someone put cyanide in the water cooler. The people who used the water to make their coffee didn't die, the one who filled her water bottle did. Now, looking back on that, I have to wonder why because they were all receiving the same dosage. Did the heating of the water destablize the cyanide? Did it bind with the coffee grounds or did the filter action reduce the amount of poison in each cup? A combination of all, some of the elements perhaps?

I've never gone back and researched that nor bothered my profs on it.....but still. So here we have a case involving coffee....does this poison work the same in that as it does in water?

Finally, does this mean not to have me on the jury if I think like this? No. For there would be motive, there would be oppurtunity, there would be method. Just because science might not be their strong suit wouldn't be a reason to excuse them.
Might be serving size.

Most people don't drink 20oz. of coffee or more like you'd commonly find in a water bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime