Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:22 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,460,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Its easy for the media and some to be dismissive of psychological abuse. It is not an excuse for murder, Virgode, but no one knows for sure whether Betty was emotionally abused unless you are her doctor or psychiatrist. I NEVER assume because alot of "seemingly" normal marriages, are not. I know because I was in one myself, unfortunately.

I'm going to take the liberty to assume emotional abuse was not a part of their marriage history. You would think it would have been brought out in trial to support her defense.

I'm well aware of what comes under the abuse umbrella, I'm just not seeing it here in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Betty's entire identity was wrapped up in being "Dan Broderick's wife". Once that "identity was gone, she literally had nothing to draw on to create her own self, for years, her life was focused on helping him gain education and status.

Exactly, a different generation. If you asked Betty Broderick today if she'd do it all over again, I bet she'd say yes.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 PM

7,119 posts, read 8,605,755 times
Dan had the typical mid-life crisis...got the sports car traded in his starter wife for the trophy...it happens everyday...except in this case he messed with the wrong person!

Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,522,799 times
Emotional abuse is very hard to prove in court, even today. During Betty's divorce it probably wasn't even brought up. It never is until someone goes too far and violence ensues. There aren't many witnesses to covert abuse, and when police get to the house the abuser denies it.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM

According to what I've read, and I don't know the accurarcy, she had no legal representation for the divorce settlement.

Thats strikes me as odd too.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:08 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,522,799 times
That is strange, considering. I want to find a more recent book, the LMN films are old, mostly sensationalistic. I no longer watch Oprah or "womens shows" to get factual info. Not sure if there's a new book out yet though, will check.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,227,760 times
What I think happened is that she was in complete denial about the whole thing. She was just thinking he would come around again, after he got thru his mid-life crisis. She had a complete breakdown when she realized he was not coming back, and her life was "over" as she knew it.

The issue I have here, is yes, it was completely pre-meditated, no doubt. But she was a psycholical wreck, she needed treatment, and therapy.

I did not like how she was portrayed by Meredith Baxter Birney in the Lifetime Movie.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What I think happened is that she was in complete denial about the whole thing. She was just thinking he would come around again, after he got thru his mid-life crisis. She had a complete breakdown when she realized he was not coming back, and her life was "over" as she knew it.

The issue I have here, is yes, it was completely pre-meditated, no doubt. But she was a psycholical wreck, she needed treatment, and therapy.

I did not like how she was portrayed by Meredith Baxter Birney in the Lifetime Movie.
Shes still in denial, in 20 years of incarceration hasn't progressed one iota.

I don't think shes dangerous to society (with an angle monitor), I could see her commiting suicide if she were released tho.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,399,587 times
Everything I've read about him convinces me he was a complete megalomaniacal ahole.

(There's no excuse for murder though, obviously!!!)

Old 03-17-2012, 01:05 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,816,901 times
We are all pretty much familiar with the expression..."hell hath no fury like a woman scorned".. granted, no question, she supported him both financially and emotionally, she encouraged him, she did all of those things a woman was 'expected' to do for her partner, especially 'back then' and I think for the most part we, as women, continue to do those things in a relationship, feministic or not.

And, I do not think the way the divorce, post-divorce was handled, and the new woman in his life was handled was stellar, at all.

Many of us have been in that situation - as I posted earlier, no doubt we frequently think about the amazing things we could do to our former partners [in addition to the honey and red ants], that does not mean we act on them.

Lots of warning signs were apparent - nothing was done to curb them or provide emotional support or therapy for Ms. Broderick nor did she choose that avenue either. Her kids were destroyed especially by being used as pawns.

She did have a choice and that choice was not to bring a loaded weapon to a house that she had no right to enter. Perhaps she snapped when the gun went off several times; she did not snap as she went up the stairs to shoot them.

I do not think she is sorry for what she did nor is she sorry or does not grasp the damage her actions caused the children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime